The sham that is the setpiece "creator"

Dear oh dear, SI you should be done under the trade descriptions act by calling this a major new feature. What you have in fact done is take an old feature and pretty much make it worse with pretty pictures.

In no way is this a "creator" it's a drag and drop limited setup purely designed to stop the corner "cheat" it essentialy takes away options rather than give you new ones. The old way you could at least come up with good alternatives now you're very much limited.

Add this to the fact it very fiddly to use, you have a mess of a feature and SI should be embarrassed to call this a new feature and a creator. :mad:

i have to admit i was expecting a bit more from it, to me its just the old interface/instructions with a graphical lay out of where the players are standing, apart from the graphics i dont see anything "new" at all, maybe someone can point out what i am missing.

completely outrageously disagree, the old system was torrid as you couldn't visualise where the players would be, and I feel much more in control of it this year.

well done SI :D

You couldn't visualise where a player you instuct to be "on the near post" would be? That's more a comment on your imagination than the feature.

Also it doesn't answer the fact they called it a creator!

You couldn't visualise where a player you instuct to be "on the near post" would be? That's more a comment on your imagination than the feature.

Also it doesn't answer the fact they called it a creator!

He makes a good point, its not about limited imagination, its just nice to see all the players where they are going to be.

However, you make some valid points also. Its not as revolutionary as the description would suggest. It will I hope be a feature that becomes more and more in depth as we proceed through the years, so that eventually we are indeed deciding every last little movement in a set piece routine.

I hope that this is reviewed until the game's released. Why can't I have two players doing the same thing, like lurk outside the area or a near post flick in? This isn't unrealistic at all, I scored lots of goals from corners by having two players attacking the far post. That way the opposition players would hesitate in who to mark.

was looking forward to a tactics creator and so am very unhappy with what has been introduced thought it would be a lot closer to cm in terms of freedom, oh well heres hoping to next year apart from that the game is looking really good love the manager bio!

I don't think it is quite as bad as the OP makes out, but it does appear to be a graphical representation of the previous format for selecting who is going to be where for set pieces.

You can't really seem to use it to design elaborate set pieces but I certainly think it is now much simpler to organise where your players are going to be. I know I always wished I could see where I had put my CD when I was deciding where to have my CM stand at corners. Now I can, and on one nice looking screen.

I think it's an improvement, but could have been, and maybe was expected to have been, a lot more sexy...for want of a better word.

I must be blind because I have yet to see the Set Piece Creator....where is it?

It's part of the tactics screen. In FM10 you could assign where your players would be at freekicks and corners. This has been updated for FM11 to a graphical representation of where players are.

I would also sadly like to agree...it does just appear to be a new graphical display of where we'd like our players to be during set pieces.

If I was honest I would like to of had the ability to drag and drop players to any part of each screen as we went along. Currently we're stuck by the rigidness of the description of where they're placed.

I hope that this is reviewed until the game's released. Why can't I have two players doing the same thing, like lurk outside the area or a near post flick in? This isn't unrealistic at all, I scored lots of goals from corners by having two players attacking the far post. That way the opposition players would hesitate in who to mark.

You scored lots of goals from doing that because it overloaded the back post and created exploits. It had to be removed to stop those exploits happening.

thought it would be a lot closer to cm in terms of freedom, oh well heres hoping to next year

PaulC has said that such a set piece creator would be nigh on impossible to implement due to the amount of bugs it resulted in, it was fairly obvious we wouldn't be getting that sort of set piece creator. Don't get your hopes up for next year.

You scored lots of goals from doing that because it overloaded the back post and created exploits. It had to be removed to stop those exploits happening.

PaulC has said that such a set piece creator would be nigh on impossible to implement due to the amount of bugs it resulted in, it was fairly obvious we wouldn't be getting that sort of set piece creator. Don't get your hopes up for next year.

Why did the "exploit" have to be removed? It's simple if you don't like it don't use it, besides which what you call an exploit I call a good corner routine.

Then why hail this all singing all dancing shiny new tactic creator when it was no such thing?

Why did the "exploit" have to be removed? It's simple if you don't like it don't use it, besides which what you call an exploit I call a good corner routine.

Then why hail this all singing all dancing shiny new tactic creator when it was no such thing?

Sometimes people play online games or hotseat games with their friends, and some would be annoyed by the exploit. Also, flaws in the match engine need to be fixed to make it as realistic as possible. I do think SI should look at bringing the option to have multiple players do one thing but in slightly different ways, and I have made suggestions to them about how to do so, but it isn't practical right now, and obviously it's been decided that this is better than having exploits.

I agree that this should clearly have been advertised as a new interface rather than a new creator.

Though the set-piece "creator" isn't anything special, I am just thrilled I don't have to see Mexes scoring 38 goals in 1 season because of that stupid exploit. And if you think that exploit should've stayed... well... i don't think it would be appropriate to call you what im thinking.

I was slightly disappointed on the creator, but the fact that the match engine no longer messes up on corners, i've become indifferent.

Though the set-piece "creator" isn't anything special, I am just thrilled I don't have to see Mexes scoring 38 goals in 1 season because of that stupid exploit. And if you think that exploit should've stayed... well... i don't think it would be appropriate to call you what im thinking.

I was slightly disappointed on the creator, but the fact that the match engine no longer messes up on corners, i've become indifferent.

Haha, you want to call me a nasty word because i play the game i pay for how I want!

You scored lots of goals from doing that because it overloaded the back post and created exploits. It had to be removed to stop those exploits happening./QUOTE]

Stoke City and Delap anyone??

Obviously There was a corner bug from the edge of the area that resulted in lots of goals... but I like overloading the back stick on corners- If I got two Big lumps with good heading etc and a Beckham type corner taker who can land it on a postage stamp then surely thats to mine or anyone else's advantage that might of worked a good set piece. Maybe you should have the option during your back room advice meetings to say... I recommend peter crouch to mark zigic today because he's also a freak and then only the quality of the delivery and the players stats would determine the outcome of any set piece.

Shame about only one player in one position. Its definitely not a creator, although I used to hate setting up my set pieces this definitely makes it easier and quicker

would it not have been possible to select for your self the positions of the "go farward" players at corners... so instead of having to use 3 with the go forward option you can have more control over the exact position, i dont see how this type of thing could be abused.. you could also do this for attack from deep, choose whether you have players attacking near post, more centrally or far post again i dont see why this was not implemented..

in future versions id like to have the ability to tell a player to attack the near post by making a diagonal run from out side the area from behind or level with the far post, if this type of thing would be possible with out making "score every time" cheat corner routines etc.

I like it for its simplicity.

Not overly disappointed with the lack of options, but I do think they should make more options available for those that do want, as I will simply not use them if it's too complicated for me, they will.

Win-Win situation for us.

So, get to work, SI :)

As the people have said - to call it a brand new feature is just a kick in the teeth to us - as people have said its a visual representation of what is was before. For me basically what SI have done is found a way to stop people scoring lots of goals via corners by doing this - and then called it a brand new feature. Set piece creator? You are having a laugh!!!

Edit: Oh according to Mikael you can still score loads of goals!

As the people have said - to call it a brand new feature is just a kick in the teeth to us - as people have said its a visual representation of what is was before. For me basically what SI have done is found a way to stop people scoring lots of goals via corners by doing this - and then called it a brand new feature. Set piece creator? You are having a laugh!!!

Edit: Oh according to Mikael you can still score loads of goals!

Only if you load an old tactic though.

To call it a creator and a brand new feature is misleading for sure.

But, I'd rather have it this way if it means there will be no set piece exploits than have a full freedom in placing players where I want to which would basically mean tons of new exploits. I imagine making a REAL set piece creator with an AI that would be able to handle it would be quite hard to do so I'd rather they introduce it when it's ready. I do agree they shouldn't have announced it as a major feature though.

That corner cheat ruined most online games I ever had, so to me this is one of the best things that could happen with FM11. What they call it in the run-up to the release doesnt really matter that much though. They have shown the game to you through the demo, and if you dont like it you dont have to pay a penny.

it was more effective to have a lone player attack far post and then have the rest of your team making decoy runs in other regions so the far post guy was never properly picked up and could pretty much head unchallanged (the only thing really ballancing stuff out here was the inaccurate heading of the 10,3 patch), with this new system these kind of decoy runs are much harder to set up or exploit

have had my own Mexes with 31 goals in 49 starts you know, he is pretty good at scoring corners irl to, but not that good

marketing this as a new feature. i mean at least the tactics creator offered access to options that weren't easy to comprehend for majority of users, but this though, really?

Well it is a new feature in the sense that it alters the view you get when assigning player positions at set pieces. The graphical view is new and I think people are being a little picky because it's certainly an improvement. It is both easier on the eye and it puts all the information in one place, instead of spread about in menus.

Of course the question is, would you rather have had an entirely new feature that was riddled with bugs and meant that it took until January before the game was stable? I think many would rather see that so they can continue to find fault with what SI do.

The game has been polished rather than needlesly added to and I think it will be all the better for it.

Oh, I'll admit I did a double-take when I finally found the set piece creator and realised what it was. It's not bad though is it? Plus, you would have bought the game if they hadn't promised a set-piece creator as a new feature. So what are you all whining about?

I do personally think that its quite useful, and its a damn sight easier to set up your set pieces now than it used to be BUT I do think they have severaly underdone the feature.

I would assume that when they said "set piece creator" people imagined something along the lines of what Championship Manager 2010 did, giving you 3 stages to your free kick or corner, where you can tell each player what to do at each stage, so telling players where to move and telling the kick taker how to deliver the ball and roughly where to deliver it.

I would love to see something like the above system in Football Manager at some point, but I don't think that SI have done the wrong thing with what they have put in.

certainly myself, and i'd imagine most of us who have been calling for a set-piece overhaul for the last few years, envisioned something a lot better than this. Don't get me wrong, simply by reducing exploit possibilities the new editor is a slight improvement, but the fact is that set pieces and in particular corners are one of the least 'realistic' and satisfying parts of the match engine. Realistically corners need a complete overhaul, papering over cracks in the existing system is just that. I hope SI will consider a true change to set pieces in FM12 or 13, not just this; the minimum work they can do that looks good in a press release and 'counters' the increasingly irrelevant Champ Man series.

Archived