Annoying Player Interaction

I have had the same problem with several players now whilst managing Chelsea which I find pretty ridiculous.

My Assistant recommended that my player should be asked to try hitting his shots with more power, I met with the player and asked him and he refused...... I then told him along the lines of "I really think you should give it a go it will improve your game" to which he replied "I will go now before I say something I will regret" :confused:

I brought a young Argentinian defender 19 years old, after a month my Assistant told me it would be worthwhile letting him learn from John Terry, I first asked Terry and he agreed, then I ran the idea through the youngster and he point blank refused, I told him it would improve his game...... once again "I will go now before I say something I will regret" :confused:

Same message when asking players to try anything at all, and there's me thinking I am the boss and the club are paying extortionate wages to these players. This is very unrealistic, no youngster who has just signed for a club would react like that to some advise to improve his game, not many players would respond in such an aggressive tone to there boss. Anyone else find this annoying?

Same message when asking players to try anything at all, and there's me thinking I am the boss and the club are paying extortionate wages to these players. This is very unrealistic, no youngster who has just signed for a club would react like that to some advise to improve his game, not many players would respond in such an aggressive tone to there boss. Anyone else find this annoying?

Come on mate have you no understanding of football. Your the manager of Prima Donna FC. What is your reputation set as? Saying it's unrealistic for a young player at a world famous club to react badly to a manager request is almost ridiculous. Some players are just like that.

Granted some players may be Prima Donna's but no youngster who is playing for the U21's who is given advice from the first team manager on how to improve his game would say something like that and storm off.

Ever heard of Antonio Cassano? Also the OP nor game has anything to do with storming off. It is just a player reacting unfavourably to a manager request. I'm interested to know what the manager reputation was set at.

Just been trying again, my reputation when starting the game was of an ex international player. I have just asked Frank Lampard to tutor Josh McEachran, Lampard agreed, spoke to McEachren who replied "no offence but I don't want to work so close to Frank" Personally would of thought that a youngster who is climbing the ranks would jump at the chance of such an offer.

to be honest, loving the demo but some of the player interaction is pretty poor.

Can't remember what i did, but Steven Pienaar got unhappy about something but wanted to stay at the club (but thought he was being pushed out of the club) - i go into "private chat" and the only options i had were all negative. There was absolutely no way of trying to make up with the player. Surely you should be given a broad range of options to talk about??

Like in FM10 when talking about other mangers, you had the options of negative, mind games, praise

The main problem i have found with the player interaction so far, is it seems impossible to get players to take your advice. Been messing around on the game as Montrose, I wanted to see if you still had agency approaching you at lower league clubs anyway. I had a few simple request to players for example "cut inside when possible" and "dribble down the flank" every conversation seemed to end the same way "I am going to leave before i say something i regret". The same for player tutoring, the only one players have agreed with me on is poor performance so far.

This inst a reputation problem either. To test this out i set my reputation to international football and reloaded as Montrose. Like before only one player took my advice. The rest ended it in "I don't think that will improve my game". "I am going to leave before i say something i regret." I cant see players in the Scottish 3rd division, that work part-time dismissing the advice of an international football player on improving there game.

Been trying out a bit with the player interactions, and when it comes to unhappiness, pretty much all the players end up saying the same thing.

"I will go now before i say something i might regret."

A player called "Martinez" came to Arsenal and started complaining already before a day had gone. Gameday.

To make the players happy it seems like i have to give everybody a leave of absence, or just end the conversation without saying anything to the player.

Definitely needs a lot of tweaking..

Reputation Automatic, in case that has something to do with it.

This is my main gripe so far. The player interactions so far for me have been a total dud. Not one I have asked has gone well and when I told a player he was being transfer listed he went to the media. I was hoping for a little more on the press conferences as well.

I have a post going on the same topic. for me it is the worse feature ever in CM/FM. The idea is right but it is so far off even poor its a joke. I have had some stiff opposition and some nastyness thrown at me just cos I brought up some stuff that was brill in older versions that isnt on this one. I need some support i think lol. My post has just been added to by me. Its Fm 11 worst version ever.

Here is what particularly stands out for me in the Private Chat system with players:

Player: "I don't think it's going to benefit my game."

Manager reply options:

"I would like you to at least give this a try."

"I feel that I have a much greater experience of what benefits a player's game and feel that you should take my advice."

Now in my opinion there should be a few more options available here... especially so you can end the private chat with the player on a lighter note, such as something like:

"Okay, that's fine. I figured I would approach you about it to see what your thoughts were." (which would then trigger a positive reponse from the player and an "is there anything else you wanted to talk to me about?")

Also, another quick thing to point out... with the following manager reply options (which I have up on my FM2011 demo save screen right now):

"I feel that I have a much greater experience of what benefits a player's game and feel that you should take my advice."

The [ End Conversation ] button is grayed out, so you feel like you are objected to using one of the 2 responses, which are both usually reacted to negatively by the player with my favourite response of all time ever "I think I best leave now before I say something I regret.", so there definitely needs to be other options there, and if SI decide not to add other options then you should at least be able to press the [ End Conversation ] button there and then, otherwise you end up finishing the private conversation by pressing 'Continue' at the top right which makes you feel like you've left a conversation in the middle of it. :p

Edit: I also feel like "I think I best leave now before I say something I regret." is popping up far too much, and that there needs to be a few different answers there too - it is starting to haunt me like the repetitive FM2010 press did haha. :cool:

I am also finding that players are getting alienated far too easily, well at least in my opinion anyway.

If there were more options on what we could say to a player then it would make life much easier, for example... something like:

Commenting on a players recent form:

A response where you can tell the player they are not scoring enough goals for the side (strikers) - using their Gls from their player profile statistics as evidence, then perhaps a negative reaction if they have made a number of assists.

A response where you can tell the player their passing has been poor (midfielders) - using their passing percentage from their player profile statistics as evidence.

A response where you can tell the player they are recieving too many cards / commiting too many fouls (defenders) - using Fls Ag and Yel / Red from their player profile statistics as evidence.

Commenting on fining a player for being sent off:

I made this decision because you have received too many cards in recent matches.

At the moment the Private Chat system is too basic in terms of responses and usually always leads to the same conclusion, I think it needs much more variety. :)

(if SI want a list of response ideas then feel free to ask, it didn't take me long to think up the ones above) :p

Hi

Slightly interesting take on the game re rl characters.

I always manage nufc and this year I decided that to keep costs down I would renegotiate Barton's excessive salary 75k pw. After an acromonious debate with his agent I appealed to Barton with no effect so I transfer listed him.

Lo and behold Smith/Carroll/Nolan all with dubious discipline records on and off the field (including recent arrests and drinking bouts) came to me to protest at my treatment of Barton. I had a stand up argument with Smith and Caroll told Nolan I would speak later to him and they are all now unhappy with this upstart of a new manager. Smith was transferred lised by now.

Suffice to say the rest of the team have said nothing, especially since I have nabbed Pires/Ball and Vassell for free. The game reflecting rl, this I am enjoying but it will be interesting to see how it pans out with my more (thuggish) players.

I challenged my nufc players that took a strop Nolan and Carroll. Barton and Smith were transferred so they did not want to know me.

I left it for a week and revisted the interaction with the player. I approached Nolan and Carroll and explained that I was in charge re the Joey Barton situation. They agreed that they had over reacted. The next thing is that they are explaining to the press that they and me have now sorted out our difference - I do like that - shows that you can turn around the player once their initial anger subdues.

Though on ppm's they are just as awkward - tthough will try the same approach.

K

A perfect example has popped up just now for where my suggestion in my post above of "A response where you can tell the player they are not scoring enough goals for the team (strikers) - using their Gls from their player profile statistics as evidence, then perhaps a negative reaction if they have made a number of assists." would come in great:

Neymar: "Hello, you wanted to see me?"

Me: "You haven't played too well of late, try to pick yourself up in the next few matches."

Neymar: "I don't think that's fair, I've played pretty well."

Me: "I'm the one who picks the team so you should take my criticism on board."

Neymar: "I feel you've treated me very unfairly and I'm not happy about it".

Me: "If you speak to me like that again I will be seriously considering your future at this club."

Neymar: "I'm getting sick of you bothering me about this subject. I think I should leave now before I say somethin I'll regret."

Before I had the private chat with Neymar... the Happiness section of his profile said "Is determined not to let his lack of goals worry him." and because of trying to call him up on it, and due to the lack of replies to make it clear that it was his lack of goals that I wanted to see improvements on, he now has a poor opinion of me. :thdn:

I hope SI read this and take note of the suggestions in my previous post and also take note of this post and then forward them to the personnel that can make these kind of changes happen, because if SI want the private chat system to go down well then they need to take suggestions such as these and look at implementing them sooner rather than later. :eek:

Totally agree with this post. The player interactions are hugely biased towards players becoming unhappy, often in ridiculous circumstances. Completely unrealistic and its effect on team morale/performances and player development could have a huge negative impact on enjoyment of the game for many people i.e. the knock oin effect on team performances and development of young players.

I find it hard to believe that, yet again, SI have introduced a new feature with great potential without adequately thinking it through and testing it properly. This needs a radical overhaul for 1st patch or I may not buy the new game for the 1st time ever.

Rest of the game seems fine so far but player interaction could potentially ruin the whole game through its knock on effects.

Also, why can't we have certain game features as options that can be switched on or off when you start a game e.g. you can decide whether player interaction, team talks, press conference features etc are a part of your game. This means people can just use the non-essential features they enjoy and everyone would be happy.

Player interaction is such a big part of this version, it's a shame it is bugged, 99% of the time it leads to unhappy players, I agree with the poster who said you should have an option to say something along the lines of "Ok, thanks for thinking about it" keeping the player happy. Such a shame, it needs to be fixed before I buy this.

As Brookie says different players will react differently depending on their characteristics but the balance of player responses is something we're keeping a close eye on

I think it is good that they can reply differently depending on personality ... but it also needs to be balanced against things like age, reputation etc.

An example from FM10:

I buy a new 17-year old from somewhere. His reputation is low, he is very young and have never played a league match in his life. Now I want him to be tutored by my highly experienced 34-year old, who have almost 500 league games at various levels. Now because (I am guessing) of difference in personalities, the youngster flat out refuses me. He is 17, low reputation, and of questionable abilities (he is NOT a wonderkid by any standard) and just arrived at his first club on a professional contract. Would he seriously flat out refuse his new manager, to learn from someone who have played professional football since he was in kindergarden?? ... I highly doubt it.

I think most 17 year olds would never do that, even if they thought the manager was all wrong. They would at least try it out .. and then maybe during the tutoring period their personalities would clash.

So hopefully this kind of balancing is implemented in FM11

I have to agree here, it seems impossible to have a happy outcome.

I start off on a very minor issue and all of the second replies I'm allowed to chose from are along the lines of, "I'm the boss do what I say" or "Get out of my club now".

From there it rapidly spirals into the player hating you when you never wanted it to go anywhere near that far but had no better options to choose.

For example I had a youngster moan at me because he was in the reserve team, which makes sense for an 18 year old centre back and theres really no appropriate responses I could give to say something along the lines of "You're a young player and so you need to improve before regular first team action but I may put you in for some games." Instead the only option other than get out of my club is basically I pick the team, shut up which makes them angry.

I put an 18 year-old striker in my reserves and he got unhappy. When I tried to speak to him he absolutely would not budge and kept repeating the line about leaving before he says something he will regret. It's frustrating because now I have a striker who has potential but is not quite good enough for the first team being angry because I put him where he should rightly be.

To be honest i think the concept of the private chat is awesome, it just probably needs some tweaking.. now my example:

As i did on FM10, i check confidence of the supporters every 5 matches and use that to praise/compliment my players.. i had like 6 players in there so i went and talked to all of them and just telling them that they were playing good lately.. 5 of them answered something in the lines " Thanks i'm just doing my best and trying to keep it up". Now that's not bad.. 5 out of 6 i got it right!

But the last one confused me i praised him and he said that he thought he wasn't playing all that good(which is normal because players have different personalities) and i just said something like huhhh ok let's move on and he answers that he's been treated very unfairly?

And the next two options are to either transfer list him or tell him i'm the boss.. i tell him i'm in charge and he answers "i stand by what i said" and we end it like that.

Again, i think the idea is great just probably needs quite some polishing!

My ass man told me he thought a player would improve if he came deep for the ball.

So I spoke to the player about this, he refused and now hates me.

In what world if you said to a player I want you to try and be on the ball more (presumably because you think he's good and effective) would he refuse and then even more bizarrely hate you?

And the whole I'd better leave before i say something i regret!!! wow, is this the most girly phrase ever written into a computer game let alone a FOOTBALL game? And over something so innocuous.

Also i don't think there are enough responses, the thing I want to say isn't there normally!

Maybe the Player Interaction could be improved by using something along the lines of an approval rating slimier to the one found in Dragon Age. In Dragon Age each character has a slider that shows if they approve or disprove of your actions. Depending on your positive or negative approve score different dialog options become available to you. How you respond when talking to that character either improves or weakens that characters approval.

A slimier slider system could placed into FM. To increase the realism of the game it could be a hidden stat. The high the approval rating of the Manager when holding private conversation to more willing the player is to accept criticism and suggestions. The personality style already given to players in the game can effect how big an increasing or decreasing of approval your options have on that player. Your overall performance as manager would also improve or decrease the approval system on team level. If your on a good run of results the approval for your players would increase, for some players quicker than other depends on the personality type.

Also your reputation in the game could have an effect. If your reputation was selected as "Sunday league" and your managing Manchester United you would start off with a low approval rating from your players. Showing maybe a lack of respect making it harder to convince players to listen to you. Likewise, if your reputation is "world class" or started with "International Player" and you are playing as a non-league side you would start with a high approval rating, making it easier to convince players to take your suggestions.

A system like this would increase the divisity level of the conversation and create more option for the manager when hold private conversation with players.

Here is what particularly stands out for me in the Private Chat system with players:

Player: "I don't think it's going to benefit my game."

Manager reply options:

Now in my opinion there should be a few more options available here... especially so you can end the private chat with the player on a lighter note, such as something like:

"Okay, that's fine. I figured I would approach you about it to see what your thoughts were." (which would then trigger a positive reponse from the player and an "is there anything else you wanted to talk to me about?")

Also, another quick thing to point out... with the following manager reply options (which I have up on my FM2011 demo save screen right now):

The [ End Conversation ] button is grayed out, so you feel like you are objected to using one of the 2 responses, which are both usually reacted to negatively by the player with my favourite response of all time ever "I think I best leave now before I say something I regret.", so there definitely needs to be other options there, and if SI decide not to add other options then you should at least be able to press the [ End Conversation ] button there and then, otherwise you end up finishing the private conversation by pressing 'Continue' at the top right which makes you feel like you've left a conversation in the middle of it. :p

Edit: I also feel like "I think I best leave now before I say something I regret." is popping up far too much, and that there needs to be a few different answers there too - it is starting to haunt me like the repetitive FM2010 press did haha. :cool:

I agree completely with this. It would be great to have a third option there. At the moment we're just making players unhappy if we keep banging on about improving his game if the player really doesn't want to.

Can I have the prize for best conversation http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4872/screenshot20101023at192.png :D

That's funny :D

I haven't played a lot (I know.. I'll make amends later..), but from the little time I spent playing I haven't encountered in such an issue, I only had one player refusing my request. I was managing Real Madrid, though.

Can I have the prize for best conversation http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4872/screenshot20101023at192.png :D

THIS SUMS THIS FEATURE UP FOR ME!!!

All the players think they are all Wayne Rooney - can just hold the club to ransom - and just treat the manager with no respect and throw their toys out of the pram every second. If you make new features they have to be right!

lol nice one joetheref. I have the same problem, I signed a young player for Brøndby and when he was signed, he was placed in my first sqaud (by the game) , så I moved him down to the U19 squad, and then he got angry, that is very unrealistic as he was playing in FC Nordsjælland's U19 squad and still had a few years development ahead of him, before even thinking about first team football.

I really hate this personally conflict thing. It's massively-overblown. If there's a personality conflict then it could be that you want to change the youngster's personality. You tell them to mentor a player because there's a weakness in their game, not just because there's a strength you wish to enhance. Personality conflict messages should be reserved for the truly unprofessional players.

THIS SUMS THIS FEATURE UP FOR ME!!!

All the players think they are all Wayne Rooney - can just hold the club to ransom - and just treat the manager with no respect and throw their toys out of the pram every second. If you make new features they have to be right!

This was hillarious. I had to post that link to my current thread that is going lol. That was brill. We need to make a FM11 comedy player interaction awards lool. See who can have the most funny/silly/childish conversation lol.

It seems such a good feature on paper, and to be honest I have wanted it to be added to FM for a few years. I didnt think it would be like this though, and although the basis is good it needs a heck of a lot of work. I can't have a squad that I'm stepping on egg shells when dealing with them one on one.

Shame on u for wanting this lol. your one of the people responsible ;-)

na kiddin. altho I said ages ago that I would hate player interactions unless it was realistic. meaning I wouldnt want it in the game for years yet. This kind of feature should be kept out of the game untill it is ready. People say they need to put it in to try it/ Er isnt that what testers are for? Why unleasah this on the public? Its like what many say. Every year there is something in FM that is under construction. Why? Try it out in demos and with testers. Why cant there also be options to turn off the features you hate the most. Especially this one as this is without doubt the worst feature in fm history and many are furious over it.

I agree when its ready I would prob like it in Fm. But the negatives of this far outway the positives and I much prefer how it was in fm 10.

Ok... I'm playing Liverpool. Danny Wilson came to me and said he wants first team football so I played him for 5 games straight. But he then came out and said he's angry that I don't play him and that he will leave the club. What the heck?

Oh dear. May be a demo bug. Post in the Bug forum. Although this is all prob related to the Player interaction. Sad times :(

Maybe this could be added in a patch, playing as Wolves, Berra has just hacked someone down with 2 feet in the 2nd minute and I lose 2-0, I fine him for violent conduct as always. I'd like to be able to talk to him about how dissapointed I am in him for his actions on the pitch that he was pinnacle in us losing the game.

Can I hire a team psychologist or Internal Affairs person to handle all the whiners? I want to focus on football instead of repetitive whining.

Me too. Although I imagine Ferguson, Redknapp et al feel the same way. :)

Oh Yeah, and player interactions are rubbish. I've taken to simply not talking to players - They never end up less happy than they would if I did talk to them!

Archived