FM2011 : Patching plans

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't it be easier just to modify Liverpool's owners in the DB? Why releasing a patch for this thing only?

Im sure there be other minor tweaks

people make me laugh si are releasing a patch on day 1 to make the game more enjoyable and still people moan unreal really is

Hardly feeble....as it stands as soon as you start a Liverpool game , a takeover begins and the new owners want a manager of their choice. Makes game pretty unplayable if you want to play as Liverpool and there are a lot of LFC fans out there.

When you say "There will also be some added extras for those people who install their game through Steam" you mean install not necessary buy via steam ? Last year i buy a box and install the game via steam, will do the same this year, so I will be able to have these extras ?

• SI Staff
When you say "There will also be some added extras for those people who install their game through Steam" you mean install not necessary buy via steam ? Last year i buy a box and install the game via steam, will do the same this year, so I will be able to have these extras ?

If you activate through Steam then you will get any extras that are available

Hoping the issue where it takes 5+ seconds to view a match result (by clicking on the score) is fixed on the release day patch, bit of a game breaker for me.

Edit: But obviously pleased that there's a release date patch. :)

Hoping the issue where it takes 5+ seconds to view a match result (by clicking on the score) is fixed on the release day patch, bit of a game breaker for me.

When i saw the first post before i had read the blog myself, i was going to wait untill December before i buy the game. As there are a few niggling bugs with the demo including this one, having to wait 5-7 seconds when clicking on results which is annoying.

But it looks like we are going to get a fix with the release day patch? :thup:

That's convinced me to wait untill after Christmas to buy FM11.

I also want to point out that I am pretty disappointed by this "patch schedule" at SI. Scheduling patches prior to release basically means you have no intention of reacting in real time to any major bugs that may exist within the game, which essentially means that if the game is broken at release it will remain broken until it suits your schedule to fix it.

I'm not going to fork out £50 on release knowing you don't intend to resolve any issues in the game until the Christmas gift rush. And I don't like that kind of support for games period. It smacks of quality being low down on the priority list.

I also want to point out that I am pretty disappointed by this "patch schedule" at SI. Scheduling patches prior to release basically means you have no intention of reacting in real time to any major bugs that may exist within the game, which essentially means that if the game is broken at release it will remain broken until it suits your schedule to fix it.

I'm not going to fork out £50 on release knowing you don't intend to resolve any issues in the game until the Christmas gift rush. And I don't like that kind of support for games period. It smacks of quality being low down on the priority list.

I remember that they actually did react last year, concerning the crash issues a lot of people had (including myself).

Releasing an extra fix (really a patch in my eyes) to try to solve the crashing issue, on FM10.

Having said that, although i will buy the game, i'm left with the same feeling.

To have a planned patch schedule really sounds a bit daft to me.

I mean, if there are problems (and there are, and will be), why have a schedule like that?!

And why so far in the future?!

If something turns out in a way it shouldn't it's quite bad that they know, but won't do anything about it until it fits their schedule.

Or maybe it is fixed, tested and all that, but it still won't go out to the ones actually paying for the game until it fits their schedule.

Now, i really don't play too many other games, but it's my understanding that it's the way the industry is heading.

I find it quite sad if that is the way it'll be.

I mean. If there's a problem, it should be fixed. As soon as possible.

A schedule like that is like saying (here comes another bad analogy), "You run as much or as little as you like, but if you break your leg, you have to wait for help, because we hadn't planned on helping out until December and March."

Bad analogy, yeah. But hopefully you'll get what i mean :p

I think you're being a bit over-dramatic here. I can understand the aversion to patches (there is a more philosophical discussion to be had about whether patches lower or raise quality of releases and whether they are good for the consumer) but I think we can all agree that SI are a good enough company to deal immediately with any game-breaking issues which (probably won't but) might be in the FM11 release.

That being said I have definitely dealt with other game companies who would not do so!

Have you tried the demo yet SFraser? It may change your mind.

• SI Staff
I noticed on Steam and again on the Mirror site that there is a competition to win yourself a place in the game.

Is this going to be optional on all other users. For me for instance, I do not want to play with 'fake' players in the game.

It will only be a name. There are already some preset newgens that may come through and some various constants are set like nationality, favourite club and that sort of stuff. Ability and everything else not set is random.

I think that is because say on FM10, you open up a match and it loads straight away, but when you want to view the highlights, they take about 5-7 seconds to load. I think it just does this when you click on the match, creating the 5 second wait, but then you don't need to wait when click on a goal etc...

It will only be a name. There are already some preset newgens that may come through and some various constants are set like nationality, favourite club and that sort of stuff. Ability and everything else not set is random.

I noticed 'faceinthegame' is still here. Oh, and you are awful in my save. :(

:D

Lads,

Some people here are over-reacting to there being not enough patches.

In my opinion the game is playable almost every year it comes out - straight out of the box unless there is a hugely major bug which S.I usually act to fix straight away.

I think these people who start calling for patches should stop reading the bugs forum as I think some people start calling for patches based on others experiences without ever having any problems themselves.

Just my opinion.

Talking of the opening day patch and all that is Liverpool and its owners, I was just thinking about the trickery you might have on your hands with the Portsmouth saga that has popped up today and if they do actually close their doors. Might make for a tricky update if it happens any time soon :)

• SI Staff
Talking of the opening day patch and all that is Liverpool and its owners, I was just thinking about the trickery you might have on your hands with the Portsmouth saga that has popped up today and if they do actually close their doors. Might make for a tricky update if it happens any time soon :)

I'm sure it's one we will be keeping a close eye on. Same with what is going on at Dundee.

Lads,

Some people here are over-reacting to there being not enough patches.

In my opinion the game is playable almost every year it comes out - straight out of the box unless there is a hugely major bug which S.I usually act to fix straight away.

I think these people who start calling for patches should stop reading the bugs forum as I think some people start calling for patches based on others experiences without ever having any problems themselves.

Just my opinion.

In my opinion, the game is pretty much always playable when it comes out (apart from FM10 that kept on crashing all the time on me).

It's just the fact that everything is planned the way it is.

That just tells me that they know there are problems, and that there will be problems.

It's a massive game, where the slightest little change can affect everything.

But that also tells me that their schedule isn't really good enough. For whatever reasons, they need that schedule to make it work.

And that schedule tells me, that their own creation is more complicated than what they currently can handle on a satisfactory level.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the game, and the work they're doing. I will most definitely buy the game, and be playing it.

They are also being pretty open and forthcoming with their customers, and they're here listening to us, the community, more than most companies.

That should not go unnoticed.

To sum it up.

The schedule tells me, "we know things aren't right, and we know unknown issues will come up, but you won't get it fixed until it fits our schedule".

That i don't like. I feel that when they have known issues, they should be solved (the solvable ones) and released as soon as possible.

Not twice a year. FM release year, that is :D

It's not easy for them, i realise that. But they're basically victims of their own success.

Archived