Why do the players disappear when one lot of action finishes

In a match, watching key action only, after one section of action finishes, all the players disappear, leaving a completely empty pitch, then reappear for the next highlight. The crowd all stay throughout though.

Its not a problem, but where do they go? It reminds me a bit of Field of Dreams, these phantom players just appearing out of the ether...strange imo. Is it just me who has this or is it the new style?

You're watching highlights rather than the whole match. The match action is computed by the game whilst the match loads and then what you watch is the computer playing back through it. There's a pause between each highlight and nothing to show. Does it make much difference if the players stay paused or disappear?

If you watch the full match the players do not disappear.

I realise it's because of the pause between highlights, but it's a departure from previous games. I definitely preferred them staying in the same place as in the last highlight rather than disappearing and leaving a blank pitch- I realise it's not a problem, I just don't like it. I think maybe because I feel it disrupts the flow and makes you feel more dissociated from the action and I definitely can't watch the whole match every time.

I realise it's because of the pause between highlights, but it's a departure from previous games. I definitely preferred them staying in the same place as in the last highlight rather than disappearing and leaving a blank pitch- I realise it's not a problem, I just don't like it. I think maybe because I feel it disrupts the flow and makes you feel more dissociated from the action and I definitely can't watch the whole match every time.

What flow? Disassociated from the action? You're watching key highlights.

I'm not trying to say I'm better than that, or anything like that, but I don't see how you can say that it disrupts the flow of the game when you are playing ti at almost it's most basic, fastest speed.

This bugs me a bit. In the old days I used to set a match day up so that I was looking at a split view of the league table and my player ratings, with key highlights. When a highlight was shown, it switched from the split view to the pitch, showed me the highlight, then switched back to the split view, then showed me another highlight, then it switched back to the split view etc. Will it not do that now?

• Administrators

Personally I think it looks lots better. In real highlights on TV or youtube games don't have periods of time when an empty pitch shows - but in fairness to FM the highlights are being generated as the game goes through, so it's not really comparable.

If you have a match without much key action, you're looking at a completely empty pitch (just grass) for a lot of the game. I don't understand how that can be so popular, it does seem really odd to me.

The game was popular when all we had to look at for 90 minutes was a text box and a bar indicating attacking possession in the last 5 minutes.

Kids today have no idea.

Different strokes etc. I hated seeing the players stick on the pitch. Much prefer it to - as fluffy_sheep2 says - to have it default back to the player stats. (wish TV View would seamlessly switch between the two)

If you have a match without much key action, you're looking at a completely empty pitch (just grass) for a lot of the game. I don't understand how that can be so popular, it does seem really odd to me.

if this were an earlier game it would be a pitch full of frozen players. whats the difference between the two?

Archived