When will we see a higher resolution skin?

Would you want a skin for better resolutions?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a skin for better resolutions?

• YES! I hate having to squint at the small text and massive gaps on the screen!
    • NO! I think this is a bad idea
    • Not really bothered... i can cope

I know that apparently a lot of people still have machines with the resolution at 1024/768 which is why the game is made for that resolution... but surely there must now be a large proportion who use resolutions higher than that?It just seems strange that we don't have one yet... here is some of my reasoning:

* The minimum requirements for FM are going up and surely the graphics cards that are quoted run best with resolutions higher than 1024/768.

* Do all SI employees really sit there developing and testing the game on machines with a resolution of 1024/768? Most businesses you see all workers with big 19" monitors and high resolutions as they can fit more on the screen. Especially if the user is using a computer 24/7!

* Surely you must have people in SI wanting a skin with bigger font sizes? Surely Ter(or anyone else who helps develop the skin) can whip this up within a day with all the experience and expertise he has designing a skin/skins? I mean there are many community members who don't get paid to play about with skins yet they get the time... So if there is a skin floating around SI employees use(developed with a bigger font to save employees eyes...) can you share it with the FM community lol?

* There must be enough time to slightly edit the skin with bigger fonts and buttons etc... because nearly all fans or FM can only do so much(like increasing the font but then having it overlap all row heights and stuff!)

So PLEASE can we have a higher resolution skin? I'm sure many would want it!

Yes I agree. The last 2 iterations of the game I used this formula to help me see the text:

Here is formula for larger text .. which can be found in your settings folder of your skin .

open the xml file and near the bottom your see this:

(most will be set to value 7,8,9,) I change them to 8,9,10.

new value in red

<!-- default text settings -->

<flags id="text_font" value="fonts/vera"/>

<integer id="text_style" value="plain"/>

<integer id="text_size_small" value="8"/>

<integer id="text_size_normal" value="9"/>

<integer id="text_size_large" value="10"/>

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/168103-For-Larger-Text-here?highlight=font+size

K

Yes I agree. The last 2 iterations of the game I used this formula to help me see the text:

Here is formula for larger text .. which can be found in your settings folder of your skin .

open the xml file and near the bottom your see this:

(most will be set to value 7,8,9,) I change them to 8,9,10.

new value in red

<!-- default text settings -->

<flags id="text_font" value="fonts/vera"/>

<integer id="text_style" value="plain"/>

<integer id="text_size_small" value="8"/>

<integer id="text_size_normal" value="9"/>

<integer id="text_size_large" value="10"/>

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/168103-For-Larger-Text-here?highlight=font+size

K

I've already tried this but its not enough on my laptop. 15.something" screen resolution of 1680 x 1050

I need an official one

Same here, i have recently bought a new laptop with a Full HD screen.

I would think that a fair amount of laptop / computer monitors that'll be sold the next 12 months will be full HD (1920x1080), so it really should be supported..

• SI Staff

It's not as easy to do as you make out. It would require two versions (small and large) of each widget to be created and there are a lot of them. That's before even thinking about how the screens will cope with handling both small and large widget sets depending on the size of the screen.

Whilst it might not be easy to do, I think it should be done because you do have to squint a fair bit. In the same way that you can increase the side of the font in an Internet Browser and Operating System, it would be great if this same capability was in FM2011. I'v no problems with the skin itself - it looks fantastic. But seeing the text can be a bit troublesome.

Just a note to the OP: you say min specs are rising but they aren't, they haven't changed between 10 and 11 and iirc there was barely any difference between 9 and 10. That part of your logic is off base.

I play on a higher resolution but really don't think its that much bother and I don't find myself squinting.

Anyway the skinners will be doing their thing soon enough and we'll all find one we like.

I'm not convinced a lot of people play at that high a resolution. I think we get stats for that but I'm not sure.

If Google analytics is implemented on sigames.com, there should be a stat there telling you what screen resolution the visitors to the site use.. i guess that can give you a bit of an idea?

I'm not convinced a lot of people play at that high a resolution. I think we get stats for that but I'm not sure.

FM is really one of those games that you play windowed. It never requires your full attention 100% of the time. I'm sure a majority of people have music playing or are on forums or the net at the same time, I know I do.

That said, there are people that play on HDTV's from their sofa. I've always thought a decent compromise would be to allow minimum and maximum resolution settings in skins (the way you can set a minimum version number now). That way people could create skins specifically for higher resolutions without worrying about them scaling down or up. It could be that skins in the drop down menu show a minimum resolution setting and being greyed out if they can't be shown at that particular resolution. If it were windowed then the game would auto increase the window to the minimum size set out by the skin's designer if there was space.

If Google analytics is implemented on sigames.com, there should be a stat there telling you what screen resolution the visitors to the site use.. i guess that can give you a bit of an idea?

That wouldn't account for all those playing in a window.

I play on 1440x900, have done for about 6 years now. Small text is not the problem, huge expanses of empty screen space is.

You either play it in a screen sized window, in which case you get spaces everywhere, or you make the window smaller, in which case you don't gain much except from every sentence being cut off - elements of the interface do not resize sensibly.

I have been playing fm in window mode for at least 6 years as playing in full screen just stretches the screen as I've always had had screen resolution greater than the default game resolution. This is especially the case now with a 1920x1200 on my current laptop.

stats are one click away, but you can't read them

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_resolution_higher.asp

Date January 2010 Higher - 76% 1024x768 - 20%

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

and those are for games, FM is a game or it is ... not ?

1024 x 768 8.50%

1680 x 1050 17.71%

1280 x 1024 16.16%

1920 x 1080 14.27%

read the facts or you'll upset 95% of your buyers next year !

The problem is Screen Resolution doesn't tell the full story - you need to know the screen resolution and the physical size of the screen. The problem seems to be laptop makers setting a high screen resolution on smaller screens, for example I have no problem seeing the screen at 1680x1050 on my 20" monitor, but there are people here saying their laptops have a 1920x1080 resolution on 16" screens.

I also think there was a post from Miles earlier in the year where he talked about some of the stats they gathered from FM Steam players and it turned out a lot of players were still using 1024x768.

• SI Staff
FM is really one of those games that you play windowed. It never requires your full attention 100% of the time. I'm sure a majority of people have music playing or are on forums or the net at the same time, I know I do.

That said, there are people that play on HDTV's from their sofa. I've always thought a decent compromise would be to allow minimum and maximum resolution settings in skins (the way you can set a minimum version number now). That way people could create skins specifically for higher resolutions without worrying about them scaling down or up. It could be that skins in the drop down menu show a minimum resolution setting and being greyed out if they can't be shown at that particular resolution. If it were windowed then the game would auto increase the window to the minimum size set out by the skin's designer if there was space.

Yeah that could possibly be a better idea. Still not sure how it would work with the xml files for screens though as a lot of things use set heights and widths. We really wouldn't want to go down the route of having more than 1 xml file for a screen as we had to do that before when developing the xbox game and it was easy for someone to forget to check if a file needed updated elsewhere.

The stats for this if you get it would likely be misleading. I play almost everything else at max resolution (1920x1200), but FM at this resolution is simply painful. There is just so much free (wasted) space and no advantages for it. If FM were ever to go to a system where widget sizes were adjustable and you could add additional widgets, I think you would see loads more people switch to high resolution. As I mentioned in my first impressions post, I'd love to be able to re-size and add additional data to my homepage and get everything in one place. This is the direction I hope FM will eventually go to.

Edit: I'm one of those that shows as playing at 1024 x 768 (windowed) on steam, simply because its actually harder to play with above that resolution. Its not because I can't (or don't want to) play it at a higher resolution.

Archived