FM11 causes MASSIVE overheating issue

arg

So I downloaded the demo and played it a bit, but then I noticed that my computer's fan started going absolutely crazy. I only had FM open, so I measured my computer's stats and then I quit it, opened up a bunch of other applications and measured again. Afterwards, not only did my fan stop running like a jet engine, but the numbers prove that I'm not going insane, either. I even opened up CPU-heavy games like Left 4 Dead 2 and World of Warcraft (at the same time) and did not have ANY kind of intense fan noise or heat issue. I have a dual 2.8GHz quad-core Mac Pro with 10GB of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT, so I know that my computer is more than capable of handling basically anything I throw at it. I must say, if this is how FM11 is going to be, then I will not be playing it because that is just absurd and there's no reason why the game should cause these kind of massive spikes in heat and thus noise on its own.

I have attached images that show my computer's statistics both while running ONLY FM and while running a bunch of other CPU-intense applications (but not FM):

Other apps, but not FM:

screenshot20101021at103.th.png

Just FM:

screenshot20101021at102.th.png

Is there anyone else noticing a similar issue? This is ridiculous!

Are these temps in *F?

FM is a heavy CPU user, and is also setup to take advantage of multiple threads (Most games/applications are not). This would be why you are seeing temp increases across all 4 cpu cores, where as in comparison, you only have a higher temp on Core A when using other applications.

Assuming that these temps are all *F (if they were *C your computer would have already shutdown), I don't really see any temps here that I would be worried about.

edit: I missed the fact that this is a laptop and not a desktop. While those specs can indeed "handle anything you can throw at it", the laptop itself probably isn't capable of venting all the heat that a system with that kind of specs has at max load (which FM will give it). Laptops run notoriously hotter than desktops with the same specs (the fan blowing only 600 rpm is the cause), because they just cant move enough air to cool the system down. Still looking at the temps as *F, the hottest thing going is the memory at 174 *F ~ 79 *C which is well within the range that components should be able to handle. Whether the plastic of a laptop can tolerate that for an extended period of time, I really don't know. I'd suggest getting one of those laptop stands with built in cooling which also raises it off whatever surface its on.

Archived