Lack of tackling as a training focus?

Is it intentional that there is no option to train tackling as a focus area? This seems a curious omission given that it is such an essential and basic skill that could be improved through practice. One of my young wing backs, for example, would benefit greatly from such a focus as it is his one weakness, but I am unable to tell him to do so.

Also, other essential defensive skills like marking and positioning are covered, which is why I'm curious as to whether this is an intentional omission.

This isn't an accident. We don't believe it's particuarly possible to improve tackling on an individual basis, unlike other options such as free kick taking. Therefore tackling has to be trained in a group enviroment.

Cheers.

This isn't an accident. We don't believe it's particuarly possible to improve tackling on an individual basis, unlike other options such as free kick taking. Therefore tackling has to be trained in a group enviroment.

Cheers.

But yet marking is? Surely you need other players to mark, and preferably team mates to work with?

• SI Staff

Marking, positioning and movement can be assigned as an individual training focus only at clubs with higher level of training facilities, where it is possible to use video equipment to help players analyse their movements on the pitch etc. to help them improve in these areas. You'll notice that these individual focuses are not available at lower level clubs with lesser facilities.

With tackling being a lot more physically involved area of the game, you really cannot work on it on your own outside of actual squad based training imho. Hence it has been excluded from the individual focuses.

Marking, positioning and movement can be assigned as an individual training focus only at clubs with higher level of training facilities, where it is possible to use video equipment to help players analyse their movements on the pitch etc. to help them improve in these areas. You'll notice that these individual focuses are not available at lower level clubs with lesser facilities.

Do you mean like when ESPN tracks player movement on the field in MNF?

Because using video for positioning/movement training and match reviewing is being done, and has been done, for quite a while now in all sorts of sports. I used to watch tape back in the 90's while I was at Atletico Mineiro. It was and still is common to do so. I did that in High School, too. We just had a VCR and a TV :)

Just saying this because I believe a decent defensive coach would do wonders for player positioning with some tapes and time to spare. Same for movement/Attacking coach. Even at lower levels.

Tech is here, we don't need much these days :)

Well, I am gonna hijack this thread again for a quick question related to training.

What is "movement" individual training focus? Yeah quickness is pace and acceleration, movement is anticipation and off the ball??

Thanks for answering SI guys :thup:

but surely although you may not be able to tackle on your own, you can tell a player to put more time in practicing tackling, perhaps with a coach or friend. Just because you can't do it on your own doesn't mean you can't spend more time on that aspect of your game. When everyone else is watching video of how to mark he could stay out on the field with a coach and practice tackling for a while, after hours if you will.

With tackling being a lot more physically involved area of the game, you really cannot work on it on your own outside of actual squad based training imho. Hence it has been excluded from the individual focuses.

This post has made me happy. Firstly because it's nice to know that these things are being thought of in depth, rather than just throwing a new feature in, secondly because there's something else to motivate you to get better training facilities, but mostly because someone from SI actually explained something when of these thread come up. Usually it feels like they just leave it for us to just guess amongst ourselves. More of this please SI! :D

Archived