FM2011 Demo - What Formation Are You Using?

As the title says really, what formation are you using, also, if you wouldn't mind putting down a few details so this thread might actually be useful it would be great.

Please just quickly put these details down:

Also, for formation, if its something like 4-3-2-1, please explain what positions, for example, are the 2 attacking mids playing down the middle or on the wings.

Formation -

Team -

Roughly how many games -

Successful? -

For me so far its:

Formation - 4-2-2-2 (2 central mids, 2 attacking wingers, 2 strikers)

Team - Sunderland

Roughly how many games - 8 pre-season games and 2 league games

Successful? - Mixed, was doing the job in pre-season and I beat Wigan 3-0 at home in our first match, but just got beaten 1-0 away at Bolton in a game they dominated.

Formation -

Torres

^^
Jovanovic      Gerrard      Rodriguez

Meirelles    Lucas
                       vv  
                               ^^
Aurelio    Skrtel    Agger    Johnson
            vv       vv

Reina

Team - Liverpool (clearly)

Roughly how many games - Until present day

Successful? - 4th in league and top scorers, dropped some points during injury crisis involving every left back, Gerrard and Torres. Europa league is very very easy so far. A lot better than useless Hodgson's long high ball to an isolated Torres tactic.

4(DF)-1(DM)-2(MC)-3(ST).

Just imported my FM10 tactic. Classic mode. All one team mentality, one team passing, one team closing down. Easy, gets the results I need.

Using Real Madrid in demo.

Only had one game so far, testing out the match upload feature. Anyway, that was a strong 0-4 win and I expect that trend to continue; since it is the kind of performance that is awarded for me in FM10.

I'm playing as Newcastle and heres my formation:

----------------------------Harper----------------------------

R.Taylor-------Williamson------Coloccini---------Enrique

----------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------Smith--------Barton-----------------------

Ben Arfa----------------Pires-------------------------Jonas

--------------------------Carroll------------------------------

So standard 4-2-3-1 with Barton on Williamson, Colocinni and Barton (Ball-winning midfielder) on Defensive duties.

Pires (Attacking Midfielder) and Carroll (target man) on attack

Ben Arfa and Jonas (wingers) on support

Working well. Two games into the premier league and got 6 points. Beat both Birmingham (home) and blackburn (away)

Originally posted by Evilscotsman

I am currently playing a 4-6-0 formation with Manchester United and it seems to be working the way I want it to, won the first two league game 1-0!

That quote combined with your name must surely mean you are Craig Levein!

Formation - A mixture of 442 with AMR/AML and a 433 with flat Midfield 3 (3 of my Tactics all imported from FM10)

Team - Tottenham

Roughly how many games - 15 Games (All Competitions, Including Friendly's)

Successful? - Unbeaten so far, P15 W11 D4 L0 F33 A7,

Competative Wins so far include

Man City (A) 1 - 0,

Celtic (A) 2 - 0,

Celtic (H) 2 - 0,

Arsenal (H) 4 - 2,

Rubin (H) 3 - 0,

West Brom (H) 3 - 0,

Stoke (A) 3 - 1

All in all a flying start for the mighty Spurs, Currently 4th in Prem with a game in hand to go top

Iwelumo           

Wallace                    Eagles

Cork       Elliott

Alexander

Fox    Bikey    Carlisle    Mears

Jensen

Team - Burnley

Roughly how many games - 5 League games, 1 cup game.

Successful? - 3rd in league, well joint Second, we have the same goal difference and points, but Norwich have scored 1 more goal.

Doing well playing good passing football, just beat Ipswich 2-1 at home, they were top of the League before kick off.

40701672.jpg

Beat Barnsley 2-0 at home in the Carling Cup 2nd round, drawn Leicester away next.

Playing as Arsenal:

Almunia/Frey

Sagna          Squillaci          Vermaelen          Clichy
(Full-back)    (Limited Def)        (Limited Def)     (Full-back)

Song
                         (Anchor Man)

Fabregas                   Nasri
   (Deep-lying Playmaker)     (Advanced Playmaker)

Turan                                          Arshavin
(Inside FW)                                      (Inside FW)

van Persie/Chamakh
                       (Advanced Forward)

Successful? No....Not really. Played 5 | Won 2 | Drawn 1 | Lost 2 |

Lost narrowly to Man United, thumped by Chelsea 3-1 away, managed to beat Wolves with 10-men mind you and battered Sp*rs 2-0. Drew at home to Blackpool though. I'm leaking goals and struggling to score. Not so good...

Man City, using a 4-2-3-1 much like Jose's using at Madrid

-----------------------------Given------------------------------

-----Srna------Hangeland----Lugano------Kolarov-----

------------De Jong-------------Yaya----------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-------A. Johnson----Silva------Milner-------------------

-----------------------Tevez---------------------------------

Going quite well. 4 games in. Second, 2 points behind chelski

4-2-4 at home mostly and 4-5-1/4-1-2-3 away from home with ManYoo.

Three wins from three in the league so far having played Arsenal and Stoke away and West Brom at home. :D

4-2-4                  

Van Der Sar

Jonny Evans      Vidic    

Rafael/O'Shea                Evra

Arteta      Fletcher

Valencia            Giggs/Nani

Berbatov        

Rooney

4-1-2-3

Van Der Sar

Jonny Evans      Vidic

O'Shea                Evra

Scholes

Giggs/Arteta    Fletcher

Valencia/Nani            Rooney

Berbatov

Playing as Aston Villa,

GK Friedal

DR Gokhan Gonul/ Luke Youngl (attack)

DL Stephen Warnock/ Roberto Carlos (attack)

DC Curtis Davies

DC Richard Dunne

DC James Collins

MCR Sidwell / Reo-Coker (suppport)

MCL Petrov (support)

AMCR A Young (advanced playmaker attack)

AMCL S Ireland / Arda turan (advanced playmaker attack)

ST agbonlahor (poacher) or Heskey / Carew

Doing really well! full backs getting forward and assists and gokun gonul got 2 goals!

Played 7, Won 3, Drawn 4 Lost 0

Scored 13 Concede 3

3rd in the league,and top after 2 games in my Europa group.

Formation - 4-3-1-2

Team - Inter Milan

Roughly how many games - 4 pre-season friendlies so far.

Successful? - 9-0, 3-0, 9-0 and 2-0. Looking just as good as last year for me!

4-1-2-1-2

Julio Cesar; Maicon, Samuel, Lucio, Zanetti; Cambiasso; Motta, Stankovic; Sneijder; Milito, Eto'o.

3 games (2 wins and 1 draw)

Succesful: i'm waiting to see what match preparation's feedback are very good before say that.

4-4-2

peterborough united

11 games plus 3 league cup ties

9 wins and 2 draws in the league, beat a youthfull everton side at goodison park in the LC 2nd round and lost to a fairly strong man utd side at london road 2-1 in the 3rd

P11 W9 D2 L0 F21 A5 GD+16 Pts29

bennett, lewis and especially boyd are unreal at this level

gk - joe lewis

dl - matthew briggs (on loan from blackburn)

dr - mark little

dc - gabriel zakuani

dc - ryan bennett

amr - arron davies

aml - george boyd

mcl - grant mccann

mcr - michael woods (on loan from chelsea) or james wesolowski when he's not injured

st - craig mackail-smith

st - aaron mclean

I'm at Milan and I am using my favourite formation: 4-3-2-1, with the next standard line-up:

Abbiati

Zambrotta - Thiago Silva - Nesta - Antonini

Gattuso - Pirlo - Ambrosini (or Boateng, depending on the team we play against)

Ronaldinho - Seedorf (wingers)

Pato (Ibra may actually be better, but he has a long-term injury)

Unfortunately Robinho is a waste of time, regardless of me using him on the left wing or as forward.

On the other side, Gattuso's form is impressive. If we play against teams with dangermens in midfield, I usually set him to tight mark them, and they do not move and never have more than 6.3 at the final whistle.

Formation: 4-1-2-2-1 (or a 4-3-3 wide formation)

Team: Arsenal

Roughly how many games: 7 friendlies + 3 league

Successful?: Considering how awful I was at making a good tactic on FM10, even in the tactic creator, I have to say I am enjoying myself right now! In pre season I had 7 wins with 21-1 goaldifference. Now it was mostly Championship teams and the likes of Boreham Wood (played mostly kids in this one) and Barnet. However I had quite the start of the season with ManU (H), Chelsea (A) and Tottenham (H). My results: 1-0, 0-0, 3-0. Very pleased with these results so far! Should add I haven't signed anyone. :)

Formation: 442 - decided for me by the players already at the club when I took over

Team: Paris Saint-Germain

Roughly how many games: Exactly 14 (6 friendlies, 5 league, 1 cup, 2 European)

Successful?: Yes. Equal first in the league (10 for, 4 against) and beat Metalurg 8-0 over 2 legs in Europa League qualifier.

Formation: 4-4-2 Diamond

------------------------------Van Der Sar

Kaboul-------------Ferdinand----------Vidic--------------Evra

--------------------------------Carrick

Valencia----------------------------------------------------Suarez

--------------------------------Rooney

-------------Hernandez-----------------Vagner Love

Team: Manchester United

Roughly how many games: 4 Friendlies

Successful?: Yes 4 wins, Rooney on 4 goals and 7 assists so far as my CAM

Leicester City

4-4-2

7 league games so far. won 3 drew 1 lost 3. reached 3rd round of the league cup, got blackburn soon.

generally inconsistent so far, lost at home to millwall but won 4-1 at cardiff. turning chances into goals seems to be my problem so far

-----------------------------------------------------------Van Der Sar------------------------------------------------------

Rafael----------------------Ferdinand----------------------------------------Vidic © ------------------------Evra

------------------------------------------------------O'Shea/Gibson---------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------Scholes-------------------------------------Fletcher------------------------------------

----------------Valencia/Sanchez/Bebe-------------------------------------------------------Nani--------------------

------------------------------------------------------Rooney/berbatov/chicharito--------------------------------

Scholes - deep playmaker

fletcher - box to box midfielder

o'shea/gibson - anchor man

10 wins

1 draw

0 losses

Narrow formations still ruling the game then?

im not sure to be honest, the narrow formations does indeed still work, wide play however also seams improved so maybe both will be possible now

having just got beaten by Inter in the supercup (1-1 on full time, 3-2 to inter after extra time, Cassetti sent of 34th min) I gotta say they have some downright scary wide play

hell if I keep strugling like i did in this game I simply have to develop a wide and deep 4-2-3-1, to compliment my current 4-3-2-1

Sergio

Cassetti-Burdisso-Juan-Riise

De Rossi-Pizarro-Brighi

Totti-Vucinic

Borriello

8 friendly out of 8 won

1 super cup lost

------------------ Given---------------------

-Richards--Chiellini--K.Toure--Kolarov

--------De Jong-----Barry----------------

Balotelli -------Silva--------------Modric--

---------------Dzeko-----------------------

Balanced - Attacking

More Direct

Press More

Silva is advanced playmaker

Balotelli and Modric Inside Forwards

De Jong Ball winner

Barry Box to box.

Dzeko Target Man

All Competions Won 16 - Drawn 2 - Lost 0.

Conceded just the 3 goals.

Dzeko has 17 goals in 13 games.

Obviously very easy with Man City, but it's just a game to adapt to the new features etc.

4-2-3-1 with chelsea

cech

ivanovic terry alex/miranda cole

essien lampard

cazorla aguero malouda

drogba

cant remeber how many games

essien on box to box

lampard on advanced playmaker support

both wingers on inside forwards attack

aguero on trequartista

Drogs as a complete fowrard attack

all against weaker teams otherwise i play 4-5-1 or this with essien on ball winning mid

can i ask, there seem to be alot of people playing the benitex 4-2-3-1 formation, i do try and play using that in FM10 but i dont get any success, i find 4-4-2 gets me better results.. i find the sc and amc or hopless in that formation. whats the secret to getting htewm 2 players to work.?

Origianlly posted by Wayne\'o

can i ask, there seem to be alot of people playing the benitex 4-2-3-1 formation, i do try and play using that in FM10 but i dont get any success, i find 4-4-2 gets me better results.. i find the sc and amc or hopless in that formation. whats the secret to getting htewm 2 players to work.?

Different people play different ways. Currently I'm playing as Newcastle and are palying the 4-2-3-1 and it is working well. I have Carroll upfront (big, strong targetman to hold up play) with Pires as the AMC behind (playmaker, slow but great range of passing). So I simply play the ball up to Carroll up plays it back to Pires for him to usually pass it out to the wings where I've got a lot of pace (Jonas and Ben Arfa) who usually manage to beat their man and then get a cross in for Caroll to head home :)

Sometimes people choose to play the AMC as someone a bit faster to play directly off the targetman as an inside forward or trequreista (sp?) or people play the ST as a poacher who can beat the offside for more one-on-one chances. Essentially experiment round untill you find the system for your players and youself.

here is the team/formation (should be Kolarov at the DL but he got a torn hamstring just before registration closed so i brought in Jose Angel, who hasnt played yet)

ManchesterCityManCity_Tactics.png

and the results so far

ManchesterCityManCity_Fixtures.png

i blame the 0-0 on the fact we were already 6-0 up and i played the 2nd string of the 25 i picked

TEAM; Rangers

FORMATION 4-1-3-2 (3 CM)

GAMES; 12 including preseason. 3rd in League with 1 defeat. (Had 2 goals disallowed in that game i was defeated). Drew with RM 3-3 in preseason and beat Inter 3-1 in CL.

This a tactic I copied from my FM08 game and its working well.

(When I say copied I mean I wrote down team and player instructions and put them in. I use classic tactics)

Formation - 4-2-3-1 - 2 MCs, 2 Wingers, 1 AMC

-----------Cech---------

Ivanovic-Terry-Alex-Cole

---------------------------

------Ramires-Essien---

Sanchez- Lamps/Pjanic-Malouda

---------Drogba----------------

Team - Chelsea, Inter

Roughly how many games - Whole season with Chelsea, 9 games with Inter

Successful? - Very, with Chelsea only lost 1 game in all comps (To Valencia in the CL but we'd already qualified). In the league 19W, 2D, 0L, GD +41 (Check Chelsea thread for more). Inter its pretty much the same, scoring loads in the friendlies, beat Roma 2-0 in the SuperCup so it seems to be working well

Playing as Palermo, a fairly standard 4-3-1-2, with Pastore as the playmaker behind Hernández and Lukaku. The '3' is a rotating cast of the squad's many decent midfielders, with roles assigned based on their attributes. We play fluid, attacking (or controlling) football with lots of expression and roaming.

Won most of our preseason friendlies, but lost 0-1 to Reggiana (!) when I gave up control to the assistant manager. Did manage to hammer out a 0-0 myself against Real Madrid in which we were arguably the better team.

Actual season has been even better, as we have one of the most prolific attacks in Serie A, thrashed PSV 5-0 in the Europa League, and only failed to win once, a 0-2 away defeat to Inter on the opening day. So 6/7 competitive games won. The downside is that our wildly attacking ways and inexperience (youngest squad in the league) mean that our last two wins have been sloppy 3-2 against weaker opposition (Parma, Bari) where we have dominated but given up soft goals.

I'd like to play a 4-2-3-1 ideally, as it's all the rage and would suit Pastore even more (he has 7 goals in 7 appearances!), but Palermo just don't have the wide players to start.

Edit: make that 6/8 matches won, as we just drew 1-1 away to Juventus. Pastore got another one!

arsenal

top of the league after 10 games by 4 points

Romero/alumunia

Sagna (eboue) Squlach (djourou)i Vermaelan (Kos) Clichy (gibbs/dodo)

Cesc (Rosicky) Song (diaby/denilson)

(advance playmaker, att) (ball winning CM, defend)

Theo (RVP/bentdner/Rosicky) Arshavin (rosicky/jack) Nasri (rosicky/vela)

(IN FRD att) (ATT. Mid, ATT) (in frd att)

RVP (Chamackh/Bendtner)

(complete FRD)

Archived