Foreign team full of English players?

I've found they are not as successful overseas, with maybe a few exceptions and also depends on which league your are playing in. I tried recruiting English players in Germany, France, Belgium and Italy and with one exception [Jonjo Shelvey] most didn't perform that well.

You'll most likely find it difficult as well because plenty of leagues have restrictions on foriegn based players and a requirment for home grown talent.

Play as Jerez in spain...Just been taken over by the Glenn Hoddle Academy. So all the players are English.

Well, first of all you can't play as Jerez as far as I know, due to them playing in a division that's not in FM. Also, there's one player from Ireland, one from Wales, two from Spain and one from Portugal in their team, so not everyone are English! :cool:

The AI are mad keen on British players ;)

I played Juve the other day and their back 4 consisted of Joe Mattock, Ledley King and Alan Hutton.

Funny how the European leagues IRL arn't flooded with British players

Mainly down to mentality of British (or English more likely) players I would think. I can count on my fingers the number of English players moving to other European leagues since the millennium (four. Beckham, McMamanaman, Owen, Woodgate. All Real Madrid)

Originally posted by BenArsenal

Mainly down to mentality of British (or English more likely) players I would think. I can count on my fingers the number of English players moving to other European leagues since the millennium (four. Beckham, McMamanaman, Owen, Woodgate. All Real Madrid)

Add to that list Jermaine Pennant at Real Zaragoza and Matt Derbyshire to Olympiakos. oh and Darius Vassell

EDIT: BUt your point still stands, hardly any of our players still goes outside of the UK to get any experience in foreign leagues.

Jermaine Pennant, Steve Finnan, Matt Derbyshire, Jordan Stewart, Nathan Ellington, Ian Harte and a handful of others.

Jermaine Pennant, Steve Finnan, Matt Derbyshire, Jordan Stewart, Nathan Ellington, Ian Harte and a handful of others.

Harte and Finnan are Irish. They don't count. :p

I missed out on Pennant, Vassell and Derbyshire. The others didn't really go to major leagues, did they?

It's the same with many players from England, Italy and Spain. When playing already in such a big championship, you don't really need to move, and the probability of you not being able to adapt yourself there is big. That's why there are no Spanish players in Italy, few Italians in Spain and England, few Spanish in England, and almost(?) none English players in Spain and Italy. It is also how things work IRL.

It's the same with many players from England, Italy and Spain. When playing already in such a big championship, you don't really need to move, and the probability of you not being able to adapt yourself there is big. That's why there are no Spanish players in Italy, few Italians in Spain and England, few Spanish in England, and almost(?) none English players in Spain and Italy. It is also how things work IRL.

Quite a number of big name Spanish players have made the leapt to other leagues recently though. Reina, Torres, Fabregas, Raul, Morientes, David Silva.

Italians not so much, agreed. But there's still the likes of Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Camoranesi, and younger ones like Rossi and Balotelli.

Archived