Team preparation/tactics thought.

After reading the blog to go with the new match preparation and getting your team more familiar with multiple tactics I was thinking about what if you have to make tactical/formation changes due to unforseen circumstances.

Say for instance in the match prep screen I train my players for my normal tactic, together with attacking and defensive variants to get them best prepared for the upcoming match.

Match day comes around... and BOOM! I'm hit with injuries and/or sendings off, cause lets face it, it will happen. Now I have to switch to a formation/tactic my players are not used to.

Does this mean I am doomed to fail having to employ an off the cuff tactic?

Yes, I know I should plan for this eventuality, but I am not likely too. As I am sure there will be countless others who wont bank on sendings off and injuries. Plus there are many other vairable which may stop you from using your PlanB of even PlanC tactic; injuries, suspensions, cup tied, ineligiblibility, an so on.

After reading the blog to go with the new match preparation and getting your team more familiar with multiple tactics I was thinking about what if you have to make tactical/formation changes due to unforseen circumstances.

Say for instance in the match prep screen I train my players for my normal tactic, together with attacking and defensive variants to get them best prepared for the upcoming match.

Match day comes around... and BOOM! I'm hit with injuries and/or sendings off, cause lets face it, it will happen. Now I have to switch to a formation/tactic my players are not used to.

Yes, I know I should plan for this eventuality, but I am not likely too. As I am sure there will be countless others who wont bank on sendings off and injuries. Plus there are many other vairable which may stop you from using your PlanB of even PlanC tactic; injuries, suspensions, cup tied, ineligiblibility, an so on.

In all honesty how would anyone know? The DEMO is not out yet let alone the full game. All I can say I think that it won't turn out so badly, it's just they won't play as good as they would in a formation that they are used to.

• SI Staff

In short... No :)

The players still know their way around the pitch even if you switch to a new formation you haven't trained for. In these cases, the game checks how similar the new tactics are in each area tracked by the match preparation training (formation, mentality etc.) and players retain gained familiarity based on that similarity. And even if you come up with a totally new tactic that they don't know at all, they still won't be totally utterly clueless on the pitch. The match preparation training is not a magic tool that can totally kill your team or make them a world-beater on its own, it's just one part of the big equation with the tactics and the match engine.

You can actually see this in the demo outside of the ME as well, if you train one tactic for a few months so the squad is fully familiar with it (all bars are full) and then try and change to another tactic. You'll see that the squad retains some knowledge from the previously trained tactic in each area, depending on how much the new tactic differs from the old one.

In short... No :)

The players still know their way around the pitch even if you switch to a new formation you haven't trained for. In these cases, the game checks how similar the new tactics are in each area tracked by the match preparation training (formation, mentality etc.) and players retain gained familiarity based on that similarity. And even if you come up with a totally new tactic that they don't know at all, they still won't be totally utterly clueless on the pitch. The match preparation training is not a magic tool that can totally kill your team or make them a world-beater on its own, it's just one part of the big equation with the tactics and the match engine.

You can actually see this in the demo outside of the ME as well, if you train one tactic for a few months so the squad is fully familiar with it (all bars are full) and then try and change to another tactic. You'll see that the squad retains some knowledge from the previously trained tactic in each area, depending on how much the new tactic differs from the old one.

so...what is, in short terms, the difference to use the Match Preparation or not?

• SI Staff

The difference to using match preparation is to maximize the performance of your team. If your team is constantly playing with tactics they are not familiar with, they will not perform to the best of their abilities.

The point above was that even when playing with a totally unfamiliar tactic, it won't suddenly turn Barcelona into a sunday league team by default, they just won't play as well as a team (well, if they are having a really bad day, someone might say they look like a sunday league team).

what is the difference?

As Riz clearly said it's just a part of the big equation, let's say that your team,without match preparation, will perform at 80% (just to make an example) of its potential, of course other factors are involved: tactics, players fitness, weather conditions, morale..etc..etc...

Archived