Steam or disc?

Hi all

Was thinking whether I should play FM11 via Steam or via the disc. Used Steam for FM10 and was shafted with the latest automatic update as the game hasn't been anywhere near as enjoyable since IMO (too many injuries etc).

I know there is an option to select 'do not automatically update' but whenever I click this it just defaults back the next time I log into Steam.

To avoid this happening with FM11, I think I will play straight from the disc and update if/when I want.

Is there any differences playing via steam or from the disc (speed of gameplay and stuff)??

My preference this time will be disc. Last year a had to wait ages for the download to finish because of the high volume.

I was under the impression you can pre-order, so it downloads now and then it unlocks on the release day....

Or am I talking out of my backside?

I'll buy the physical product for as long as possible. I always feel short changed when I spend 30 quid or whatever and all I get is a download.

I felt the same way until I realised how much easier things CAN be.

We all have broadband - it's the future wether we like it or not. We don't need to shift our ass anymore so get used to it.

I felt the same way until I realised how much easier things CAN be.

We all have broadband - it's the future wether we like it or not. We don't need to shift our ass anymore so get used to it.

I barely have to shift my ass to get the DVD version either ;)

I have bought through online distribution, that's why I know I hate it. I won't buy from anywhere like Steam again until I don't have the choice, or it's a really good offer.

i used to slag steam off and buy the hard copy but now i just download it from steam and last year i had not a single problem so i will be doing the same (once SI make the demo then you can purchase and pre-install the game on steam so on the day there is hardly any waiting, beats going to the shops for the game)

I'll buy the physical product for as long as possible. I always feel short changed when I spend 30 quid or whatever and all I get is a download.

Same here. There's just something that's not very comforting about having all your eggs in the electronic middle-man's basket.

I'll be buying the DVD, and install through Steam. If something goes wrong, I can always back out and take the trusty old manual route.

I barely have to shift my ass to get the DVD version either ;)

I have bought through online distribution, that's why I know I hate it. I won't buy from anywhere like Steam again until I don't have the choice, or it's a really good offer.

Have you had a bad experience with Steam?

I have never had a problem. I find Steam to be excellent. Never had any problem - no crashes - minimal resources - does what it says on the tin - makes my life easy when it comes to gaming.

Have you had a bad experience with Steam?

No, I nothing against Steam whatsoever. It's simply because I like the physical product, plus if I do ever want to re-install it I don't need to wait for it to download again.

No, I nothing against Steam whatsoever. It's simply because I like the physical product, plus if I do ever want to re-install it I don't need to wait for it to download again.

I can understand that.

Downloading on average speeds taked about an hour though (maybe 2-4 weekends). It's hardly a problem and you can uninstall and reinstall as many times as you want on any computer.

Maybe for FM but not for bigger games, plus an hour is still an hour.

Tbh I don't think most games are more than 2-5gb so one hour with a fast connection is about right. I've certainly not heard of anything taking longer with a decent broadband, although weekends can be bad because they tend to do offers.

Like others have said when I get my disc through the post I will install via Steam.

So much easier to play without the disc, I have a good few games on Steam now and it's just less messing around swapping discs in the drive to play.

But.....by having the physical discs means if things go wrong I can still play.

Whatever the time to download, it clearly shouldn't be a concern that you have to wait an hour or ten to get the game.

Even with a relatively slow connection you can just leave it overnight and it will be done by the time you have to get up and go to work (major suckage) so ....

I don't know .. take the damn day off work

Anyway, why would anyone want any SI game pre-patched? they don't exacxtly have a great record for quality in that area...annnnnyyyonnnne remmmemmmberrrr ffffmmmm00009999?

Im on the fence too. I have bought through Steam the last 2 years but it takes up so much processing power having Steam and FM open sometimes that it makes it not really attractive. But since i haven't played FM from a disc for a while i dont know if it will make a difference.

I have 4gb ram, and a 2.0ghz duo processor, so shouldnt really be too much of a problem. But it is

Im on the fence too. I have bought through Steam the last 2 years but it takes up so much processing power having Steam and FM open sometimes that it makes it not really attractive. But since i haven't played FM from a disc for a while i dont know if it will make a difference.

I have 4gb ram, and a 2.0ghz duo processor, so shouldnt really be too much of a problem. But it is

Steam really doesnt use much processing power at all.

Mines running now using a massive 0% CPU.

15mb RAM.

If that affects your game Id be very shocked.

As the other guy said, Steam dosent actually use any of your CPU when you are running a game.

It just sits there passsively, and the only thing it might do is check for updates (normally when it starts up - it won't interrupt you) so it is not going to slow down any of your games. You can go to offline mode anyway if you want it to be completely silenced, but honestly the resouces are negligible.

I haven't actually tried it myself, but - when you use only the disc, isn't it only to start up the game then the disc drive isn't used? I did read that once, but it could've been a load of rubbish and I'm sorry if it is.

It used to be. Now it checks when you save and maybe at other random times too, I'm not 100% sure.

I'll be having a hard copy of the game this year. Just because there are a few occasions where Steam has forgot my login details and since I dont have an internet connection at home, it renders me unable to play the game.

I will miss the achievements though :(

Archived