2010 - Tottenham win the premier league??

On FM2010, i've noticed that thepremier league is a bit unrealistic, even in early seasons.

I'm not complaining but i just want to know if anyone else has experienced this?

For example i've had games where Tottenham and Aston Villa have won the league where Man United finish around 6th or 7th and eventually Arsenal turn into a mid-table team.

Man United in particular do much worse in FM than they do in real life, in real life they hardly finish outside the top 2 whereas in FM world they seldom finish in the top 2 unless i am in charge.

And tottenham seem way overrated, okay they are a good team worthy of te champions league, but they won't win the premier league as often as they do in FM world.

Again, im not complaining, i just picked up on this and wondered if anyon else did?

In my third season on one save it was:

1 fulham

2 west ham

3 arsenal

4 liverpool

5 chelsea

6 man city

7 villa or totenham

8 the other one from no.7

9 ?

10 ?

11?

14 man united

17 everton

Not realistic at all. Man City had a takeover in this season

Man utd and Arsenal definitely underperform a lot. I'm not too sure about Tottenham though.

It seems that Man utd and Arsenal completely fail at signing good players for their future. In fact, top teams in general don't spend the right money on right players.

The transfer system is long due for a realistic update.

Well I think it comes down to the fact its a simulator. I mean, if you look at the QUALITY of Tottenhams squad right now then there's no doubt they have the ability to win the premiership. The reason for them not doing so is anyones guess. Man Utd has a lot of debt and in-game that can have a lot of effect on their spending and performance. When Tottenhams players are transferred into the game though, I have no doubt they have as good a squad stat wise if not better than most of the teams. For example I can guarantee you Gareth Bale turns into an absolute superstar in FM 2011.

Well I think it comes down to the fact its a simulator. I mean, if you look at the QUALITY of Tottenhams squad right now then there's no doubt they have the ability to win the premiership. The reason for them not doing so is anyones guess. Man Utd has a lot of debt and in-game that can have a lot of effect on their spending and performance. When Tottenhams players are transferred into the game though, I have no doubt they have as good a squad stat wise if not better than most of the teams.

I am taking this post as sarcasm :thup:

yeah i do agree that tottenham are good, but they just will not win the premiership in the next couple of seasons and everyone knows it. They dont have the consistancy (for example they lose to teams like Wolves at home) I think this should come into it, squad consistancy ect. Well.. Maybe.

Chochip, i definately agree about the transfer system, i even think transfer fee's are very inflated. An example might be, In real life you'd imagine Villa would probably let Agbonlahor go for £20m odd but in my games they damand nearer £50m and Arsenal demand over £100m for Fabregas in-game, when they will probably let him go for around £60-70m at the end of the season in real life.

I'm not actually too bothered really because it'sjst a game, but i definately would like the transfer system needs re-doing. Arsenal and United do make a lot of good youth signings in real life and in FM they sign players like Shaun Maloney.

yeah i do agree that tottenham are good, but they just will not win the premiership in the next couple of seasons and everyone knows it. They dont have the consistancy (for example they lose to teams like Wolves at home) I think this should come into it, squad consistancy ect. Well.. Maybe.

Chochip, i definately agree about the transfer system, i even think transfer fee's are very inflated. An example might be, In real life you'd imagine Villa would probably let Agbonlahor go for £20m odd but in my games they damand nearer £50m and Arsenal demand over £100m for Fabregas in-game, when they will probably let him go for around £60-70m at the end of the season in real life.

I'm not actually too bothered really because it'sjst a game, but i definately would like the transfer system needs re-doing. Arsenal and United do make a lot of good youth signings in real life and in FM they sign players like Shaun Maloney.

First, about team consistency, I'm convinced that researchers reflected that aspect as "low determination" which I suffered a lot as Tottenham manager. Current squad never do well when fall behind :( .... I don't know how AI manager overcome that though.

And about the inflated price compared to real life, I argued that we, the FM players, didn't managed to unsettled the player as much as IRL though. And we seems to have less tolerance, IRL Wenger managed to unsettled Shamakh and wait another six months to get him for free :)

Ask any informed pundit today and they would tell you Spurs have one of the strongest squads in the EPL, probably only bettered by Chelsea and Utd and very nearly on par with Arsenal. Why is it therefore unrealistic for Spurs to win the Prem? Oh yeah, its not. This has been done before, a search would have yielded a couple of threads at least. The game is fine, its as realistic as any sim is ever going to get.

Next!

The problem for me is not so much Spurs winning the league but the lack of consistency AI teams tend to show each season. Irl, the EPL generally seems to be won with between 80-90 points, with the same 3 or 4 teams challenging and never has there been 3 consecutive different winners. I think it all comes down to poor quality AI when squad building.

There never seems to be one or two top class sides that challenge consistently in FM each season. Man Utd may win 09/10 with 90 points but then finish 5th 10/11 on 65 points. Same with Chelsea or Arsenal. Thats unrealistic and frustrating for the user as we want to rival the best teams.

A few years ago Alex Ferguson said Chelsea had raised the bar so high for winning the league that United had to adjust how they approached seasons in order to hit the ground running to be able to compete at their level. He knew that they were so strong that United had to get to the 90 point mark in order to win the league.

We want to have the same buzz and challenge in FM. If a team wins the league with 90 points they shouldn't all of a sudden become a top 6 team the following season.

AI squad building must improve, and maybe should be an attribute for AI managers that makes them stand out from others.

Squad building : 20 = Very Consistent team

well i dont really like it. But i can fix it myself, il just go on the editor before i start a game and beef up Chelsea and Man Uniteds reputations to set them apart from their rivals, as is the situation in real life. Obviously Man City will have the funds to also challenge within a year or 2.

The problem for me is not so much Spurs winning the league but the lack of consistency AI teams tend to show each season. Irl, the EPL generally seems to be won with between 80-90 points, with the same 3 or 4 teams challenging and never has there been 3 consecutive different winners. I think it all comes down to poor quality AI when squad building.

There never seems to be one or two top class sides that challenge consistently in FM each season. Man Utd may win 09/10 with 90 points but then finish 5th 10/11 on 65 points. Same with Chelsea or Arsenal. Thats unrealistic and frustrating for the user as we want to rival the best teams.

A few years ago Alex Ferguson said Chelsea had raised the bar so high for winning the league that United had to adjust how they approached seasons in order to hit the ground running to be able to compete at their level. He knew that they were so strong that United had to get to the 90 point mark in order to win the league.

We want to have the same buzz and challenge in FM. If a team wins the league with 90 points they shouldn't all of a sudden become a top 6 team the following season.

AI squad building must improve, and maybe should be an attribute for AI managers that makes them stand out from others.

Squad building : 20 = Very Consistent team

spot on! i quite agree!

In my longest save, man Utd won in 2010 and 2011, and then man city won most of the ones over the next decade, (man uted and arsenal bagged another) then in 2020, tottenham got their first, then two arsenal, then it alternated between chelsea and spurs. Which all seems fairly realistic to me really. Not a single win by a "lesser" team. Although Southampton came second once! :p

In my save, Man City have just won 5 consecutive titles. That's pretty consistent.

I saw Villa win the title first season on one of my saves.

Agbonlahor had a ridiculous goals to games ratio. I think it's probably because of his pace and acceleration, which is overpowered in the match engine.

When will SI realise that it needs to be toned down!!!

ok, i think a way we should look at this is - spurs winning the league in 2010 is a rare occurance if we look at fm population as a whole, however, they have a very good squad a genuine chance of winning the league - an outside 1, but that is reflected by the fact that they dont win it on majority of games. now i am an arsenal fan, and being deadly serious - spurs have a very good squad, are replacing the rubbish *cough* *jenas* *cough* and bringing in hungry, experienced players proven at the top level like Gallas and van der Vaart - so they would have a chance yes.

Personally I monopolise the top 2 places as Arsenal with barely any signings at all for several seasons.

Ive seen man u survive relegation on goal difference in the 4th season. This was due to them buying v bad players and playing a ridiculous formation. Agree, the squad building stat would be spot on.

Yes i dont get why they buy such stupid players who some of the time they will buy for like £17m and then he gets unhappy due to lack of football but they wont sell him for like £40m

Do you happen to remember any of the players they signed on yours? and prehaps price range of which they signed them?

Yes i dont get why they buy such stupid players who some of the time they will buy for like £17m and then he gets unhappy due to lack of football but they wont sell him for like £40m

Do you happen to remember any of the players they signed on yours? and prehaps price range of which they signed them?

It was a while ago so im struggling, but off the top of my head I recall them having Alan Hutton as their best defender so that doesn't say much about the rest (even the though he is quite good) I think they had Kevin Thomson in midfield with fletcher (so big scottish contingent lol) TBF Rooney was injured for 6 months but they had no Nani, Berba, Vidic, Rio, Anderson, Evra. The team basically was a lower mid table team with Rooney who was obv injured. Just terrible buys alround really, I cant even remember who the manager was. Sorry bro

Archived