Text Speak.

I hope that this is in the correct forum. If not could some nice 'mod' please help it to it's rightful place. Am I the only person who can not tolerate the ever increasing amount of 'text language' used within these forums, or should that read fora? As I understand it, it is supposed not to be allowed. Also, in this country the primary language used is English. Is it not possible that the English language be used? Rant over. Kindest of regards to all, even text speak users.

Some rules on here are enforced more negligently than others :(

As a non-native speaker I have often problems understanding people using text speak, so the rule indeed makes sense. At the same time I sometimes feel to speak English better than many natives on here whenever I read "would of"...

However, common internet abbreviations such as imho, tbh or wtf should be understood and are allowed.

oescus has a valid point and trying be a smartarse isn't helpful to anyone.

well the OP should be posting in the right forum section. talking about breaking 1 rule whilst breaking it yourself with the thread just doesn't make any sense

Sorry but I find this argument incredibly petty.

Essentially, you are criticising someone's English skills whilst using poor English yourself. I am pretty sure that 'Text Language' is acceptable but 'Text Speak' is incorrect. You wouldn't say loud speak for someone who is talking loudly would you?

Whilst I understand that it is a forum rule to use proper English, if this were enforced 100% there would be less than 10% of the board members still around.

The word of the day is vernacular, if you don't know it, learn it.

"Your old road is rapidly aging

Please get out of the new one if you can’t lend your hand

For the times they are a-changing"

Essentially, you are criticising someone's English skills whilst using poor English yourself. I am pretty sure that 'Text Language' is acceptable but 'Text Speak' is incorrect. You wouldn't say loud speak for someone who is talking loudly would you?

Whilst I understand that it is a forum rule to use proper English, if this were enforced 100% there would be less than 10% of the board members still around.

This response is definitely over the top.

Thread soon to be closed methinks...

Times might be a-changing but does that mean that we shouldn't follow rules? Obviously as the youth of this country become more and more feral I'm sure that most of them don't like rules. Tough, they exist, deal with them. When I first joined these forums you'd never see any text nonsense and if you did people were told and acquiesed to the request and the forum was a nicer place. Good OP.

I hope that this is in the correct forum. If not could some nice 'mod' please help it to it's rightful place. Am I the only person who can not tolerate the ever increasing amount of 'text language' used within these forums, or should that read fora? As I understand it, it is supposed not to be allowed. Also, in this country the primary language used is English. Is it not possible that the English language be used? Rant over. Kindest of regards to all, even text speak users.

Agree with text speak. They don't have a place here.

But to state 'this country' seems a bit over IMO. This place is a global forum with posters from all over the world. Some don't speak English as their first language and may struggle a bit, so I think we have to a bit forgiving on that front.

Text speak is against the forum rules but it would be difficult to keep track of every item of text speak on all the different forums. Users who continually break this rule will be warned and infracted but one incident in a 10 line paragraph will be difficult to police.

Archived