I want to see MAPS in the game

I'd like to see them put in some kind of world map. The game already has the longitudes and latitudes of cities anyway, it would be pretty much no work and I'd get to see what part of Switzerland my Challenge League title rivals are from. I'm a bit of a geography nerd and this isn't the kind of thing that everyone would use, but I know I'd use a graphical representation for teams' stadiums and players' birthplaces.

I'd like to see them put in some kind of world map. The game already has the longitudes and latitudes of cities anyway, it would be pretty much no work and I'd get to see what part of Switzerland my Challenge League title rivals are from. I'm a bit of a geography nerd and this isn't the kind of thing that everyone would use, but I know I'd use a graphical representation for teams' stadiums and players' birthplaces.

For this I use wikipedia (in the few cases where I can't immediately identify the town, or the many cases where the name isn't always indicative of the town). I know kind of nerdy, but...

Legal Issues?

With who?

The only legal issue I could think of would involve who you get the geo images from

... or is it a case of some sort of silly little patent someone has for creating a program that is able to do this, preventing the team from creating it without lawsuits or paying some stupid fee to be allowed too?

Not really Ishu, depends how high resolution they do

I play a game that uses quite high res images mapping the Earth, and it only uses 264MB of space for them

If you were to combine them into one single image, it would be around a 1,250,000 x 1,250,000 pixel image IIRC, which is like a 330metre x 330metre piece of paper

Legal Issues?

With who?

God. The big guy.

Licensing issues too.

But seriously - nice idea, not sure how much I'd use it after the first few times. Like someone else mentioned, I'm a big Wikipedia user and GoogleMaps user.

FM+Internetting = success.

I love the idea :thup:

It would be very helpful whenever managing in a foreign country. I most often manage in England where I'm not from and when I play against Northampton, Swindon, Bradford or many others I have in fact no clue where in England these are.

It would be pretty much no work? Eeeeeeeeeeeek!

Yeah, just knock it up in your lunch break - draw the borders on pieces of A4 - remember Italy looks like a boot, Britain like an old lady in a chair etc, etc, scan them in this afternoon, import them and you're done - easy. Don't know what all the fuss is about :wink:

Seriously though, I've seen this mentioned several times and it would be a good, although not vital, addition to the game. So get your crayons out Ter!

Me too. I'd also like a birds eye view animation of a small plane travelling to European games, like they use to advance the plot in adventure movies. :thup:

Why not go the whole hog and see them travel to away matches by coach, perhaps for lower league sides, it could break down or be delayed by traffic!!

This would then delay the start of the game and perhaps limit the match preperation time.

Fairly sure there's open source maps out there. Wikimedia Commons must have some public domain images, and there's the NASA open source license which I think allows for commercial use (I am not a lawyer of course).

Like the idea. Would be interesting to see if more geographical aspects could be integrated into the game as a result of it such as the home advantage of Ecuador I think, who play at x-thousand ft above sea level or the impact on teams from massive countries, like Luch Vladivostok having to travel through some ridiculous amount of timezones to reach Moscow for games. Not sure how or if you could ever code such things but it does have an effect on games irl.

This would be a great addition to the game and being able to see visually how far your opponants have to travel or how far you have to travel would help my grographical knowledge, which pretty much all comes from FM anyways

Hope my old geography teachers arent reading this

• SI Staff
Like the idea. Would be interesting to see if more geographical aspects could be integrated into the game as a result of it such as the home advantage of Ecuador I think, who play at x-thousand ft above sea level or the impact on teams from massive countries, like Luch Vladivostok having to travel through some ridiculous amount of timezones to reach Moscow for games. Not sure how or if you could ever code such things but it does have an effect on games irl.

I think we already have altitude in the game somewhere. Not sure how much of an effect it has though.

I agree with this, there should be more of the match-day preparation feature where traveling earlier to other countries with the selected squad to train will actually have an effect on the overall gameplay. So the implementation of maps would help this as places further away like for the Super Cup would actually have the distance reflected and force earlier traveling. Same for the international game where it currently seems England can play at Wembley, play in Mexico 2-3 days later and then go back to Wembley for a final friendly before the WC/EC.

I think maps would be a very good idea if you were making your own leagues, for example. IMO, the only thing that stops me from making regional leagues is the fact that they do not work properly in the game; eventually things will and do go wrong and become like the elephant in the room when playing a career game. I think if maps were tied into the editor, each team given a location and each league had its own borders then the chances of teams popping up in different leagues would be massively reduced. I know that currently the game implements longtitudes and latitudes but for more simple minded folk (like myself) having a map would make life a lot easier.

Plus, it would be great in-game to know wherabouts teams are in the country.

• SI Staff
I agree with this, there should be more of the match-day preparation feature where traveling earlier to other countries with the selected squad to train will actually have an effect on the overall gameplay. So the implementation of maps would help this as places further away like for the Super Cup would actually have the distance reflected and force earlier traveling. Same for the international game where it currently seems England can play at Wembley, play in Mexico 2-3 days later and then go back to Wembley for a final friendly before the WC/EC.

This should happen already. Travelling time is taken into account.

Legal Issues?

With who?

The only legal issue I could think of would involve who you get the geo images from

... or is it a case of some sort of silly little patent someone has for creating a program that is able to do this, preventing the team from creating it without lawsuits or paying some stupid fee to be allowed too?

Earth :D ......... legal this legal that

The maps similar to you see on wiki would be lovely and quite simple to fit onto the league news or something like that, highlighting your next opposition, distance perhaps.

I made a (very bad) mockup of another place I would really love to see a map, in the scouting section.

map2.jpg

So firstly, theres another button at the bottom so that you can see the map view meaning you can still do everything as before. Then it can highlight the country currently scouting, on the list to scout and been scouted in different colours.

If I click on an area it should zoom me into that continent so I can see clearly and then if I click on a nation it should be added to the assignments, so very quickly I could click around half of south america for one scout and half for another for example.

It would have tooltips too, so on the world map if I hovered over it would say Europe perhaps, then on the zoomed map it would say which country it is. If this was done with permanent text I think the map would get much too cluttered. If you hovered over an assigned nation it would give you more information, like the number of days and maybe another click on the tooltip would link you to reports from that nation while clicking on an assigned nation would remove it from assignments, maybe a confirm for the one that is currently scouting.

I think the main advantage is to be able to assign your scouts to exactly where you want without going through that huge list of countries several times. It would also mean you wouldn't have to guess what the games idea of west africa actually meant or you want to scout only some of eastern europe.

Other things it could have but I'm not sure the best way of implementing, a map showing the assigned for a certain scout in one colour + in a different colour all other scouts assignments. League specific things such as where is classed as foreign/not foreign based on which league you are managing in so that you could scout those areas more thoroughly. Finally a representation of the scouts knowledge, probably using the same colours as in the knowledge bars.

The maps similar to you see on wiki would be lovely and quite simple to fit onto the league news or something like that, highlighting your next opposition, distance perhaps.

I made a (very bad) mockup of another place I would really love to see a map, in the scouting section.

<screenshot>

So firstly, theres another button at the bottom so that you can see the map view meaning you can still do everything as before. Then it can highlight the country currently scouting, on the list to scout and been scouted in different colours.

If I click on an area it should zoom me into that continent so I can see clearly and then if I click on a nation it should be added to the assignments, so very quickly I could click around half of south america for one scout and half for another for example.

It would have tooltips too, so on the world map if I hovered over it would say Europe perhaps, then on the zoomed map it would say which country it is. If this was done with permanent text I think the map would get much too cluttered. If you hovered over an assigned nation it would give you more information, like the number of days and maybe another click on the tooltip would link you to reports from that nation while clicking on an assigned nation would remove it from assignments, maybe a confirm for the one that is currently scouting.

I think the main advantage is to be able to assign your scouts to exactly where you want without going through that huge list of countries several times. It would also mean you wouldn't have to guess what the games idea of west africa actually meant or you want to scout only some of eastern europe.

Other things it could have but I'm not sure the best way of implementing, a map showing the assigned for a certain scout in one colour + in a different colour all other scouts assignments. League specific things such as where is classed as foreign/not foreign based on which league you are managing in so that you could scout those areas more thoroughly. Finally a representation of the scouts knowledge, probably using the same colours as in the knowledge bars.

very good :thup:

• SI Staff
I love the idea personally but think if I wanted to know more about a club I would just google it.
Just use Google Earth, thats what I do :)

Surely that's the point in showing this sort of stuff in the game so that you don't have to use anything like Google Earth?

Plus there's a lot of countries where google earth has very little data on. I just had a look on there now out of curiosity after reading this thread to see one of the sides i fancy managing in FM11 and it visually consisted of either a white screen with a single road crossing it, or a mass of green blur. No idea where the town was meant to be, never mind the ground

I stiil don't understand how come you need to license the WORLD. But I'd certainly like to see this in the game

You don't need the license to the world but to the maps. You are more than welcome to go and click pics of all the WORLD.

Why would google let SI do that?

Why wouldnt they provided SI licensed it from them?

basically its a case of get a corporate licence for google maps/google earth which is available as I've looked into it myself for software development ive had to carry out at work (google maps is probably easier to integrate although an internet connection is required), then create a massive xml overlay file with a marker for each club (or even better, generate the marker xml on the fly depending on the data required to be displayed), which quite frankly if I can do, then SI should have no problem, build some stuff into the game around the data stored in the database for the marker data, and bobs your uncle.

Why wouldnt they provided SI licensed it from them?

basically its a case of get a corporate licence for google maps/google earth which is available as I've looked into it myself for software development ive had to carry out at work (google maps is probably easier to integrate although an internet connection is required), then create a massive xml overlay file with a marker for each club (or even better, generate the marker xml on the fly depending on the data required to be displayed), which quite frankly if I can do, then SI should have no problem, build some stuff into the game around the data stored in the database for the marker data, and bobs your uncle.

Licenses cost lots of money. Don't think SI have maps on their priority list to spend that much.

Archived