FM 2011 Demo - Strawberry or Vanilla?

Every year the demo is available in 2 flavors. Strawberry is the full package and complete experience, while Vanilla is the light version that exists as an alternative for reduced size download.

Just a reminder... with the demo you can play half a season of gameplay, and the saved games from the demo will be compatible with the full release of the game.

What do you guys normally get? And why would anyone choose Vanilla over Strawberry?

Let's compare Strawberry and Vanilla editions for FM 2010.

Strawberry (roughly 1GB)

* Full Assets: including player pictures, club logos, competition logos, etc for where we have the license. Full pitch textures, stadiums and sounds.

* In-game languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

* Quickstarts: England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Turkey, Wales, N. Ireland

Vanilla (roughly 290MB)

* Stripped Assets: including no player pictures, club logs, competition logos, sounds, etc

* In-game language: English language only

* Quickstarts: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland

If similar specs are applied to the forthcoming FM 2011 demo, which one will you get?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

UPDATE: Had some free time to waste, so I composed a blog entry full of nonsense that you may enjoy reading :)

Football Manager 2011 Demo: Strawberry VS Vanilla

wasnt this pretty much already covered in official thread? Wasnt a thread to itself but there was a good discussion on it?

No dramas with a new thread, was just letting you know :)

My apologies if this is already being discussed. I searched for the terms of my topic title and didn't return any results, so I thought I'd go ahead and post it. I guess since people write here as well, it's alright for the topic to exist?

:)

I'm glad this thread has been started because I've been wondering for ages when the demo is out......

Joking........

Strawberry for me, always has been, always will be...

22 Oct is the most probable date for the demo, but I guess you know that already.

It doesn't make any dramatic difference whether the demo comes out a week sooner or a week later, because it will come out eventually... and that is what really matters!

I would always go for strawberry so that I can play in the Italian league and get my shortlist prepared for when the full game comes out

I wonder how this whole strawberry and vanilla idea came together in the first place... any insight available Ter? :)

Vanilla is the light version that exists as an alternative for reduced size download.

Yes, I know mate; I wrote that on the initial post :)

Just saying there might be no point having a light version, if everyone is getting the full package one.

I'm currently only one in this thread who is downloading vanilla :p

my internet is 56 kbps :(

How long does it normally take you to get 290MB (vanilla)?

Wouldn't you wait 3x more times to get the full package instead if you had no other choice? :p

For the demo I guess I'll download the Vanilla option. All the graphics I'd use on the full game would be replaced by Megapack variants and any game I'd start on the Retail release would have a lot more leagues and a custom database selected so I won't be continuing any games I start on the demo.

Vanilla for me. I'm only getting it to see the changes to UI, ME etc... I don't care about the number of leagues and other fluff I'm basing my decision to preorder on how the game plays and I can get that from the much smaller download vanilla version. The Strawberry version doesn't contain all the leagues I want to load to continue a save.

For the demo I guess I'll download the Vanilla option. All the graphics I'd use on the full game would be replaced by Megapack variants and any game I'd start on the Retail release would have a lot more leagues and a custom database selected so I won't be continuing any games I start on the demo.

That's a good point on why choosing vanilla over strawberry :)

I'm not a fan of either Strawberry or Vanilla - I'm more of a mint-choc-chip! Oh the demo - I thought this was a which is your favourite ice-cream flavour in OTF!!! ;)

Strawberry for me - as I will play in Spain. As people have said where does the name come from? :D

I would usually go with the Strawberry version but this year don't think i'm going to download the demo. Got an Arsenal save going at the min and i'm really into it, just going into 2021/22 season.So unless i get bored of this in the next month i will be waiting for my pre-order to be delivered.

I'm not a fan of either Strawberry or Vanilla - I'm more of a mint-choc-chip! Oh the demo - I thought this was a which is your favourite ice-cream flavour in OTF!!! ;)

Strawberry for me - as I will play in Spain. As people have said where does the name come from? :D

Damn, I want an ice-cream now! lol

Can somebody tell me why the Bundesliga is never in the demo? It is obviously one of the best and most popular leagues in the world, and i can`t see any reason why it`s never in the demo, but leagues like the Danish, the Norwegian, the Swedish, with all due respect, are in it? I hope this year it will be in at least in the Strawberry one :)

Can somebody tell me why the Bundesliga is never in the demo? It is obviously one of the best and most popular leagues in the world, and i can`t see any reason why it`s never in the demo, but leagues like the Danish, the Norwegian, the Swedish, with all due respect, are in it? I hope this year it will be in at least in the Strawberry one :)

Maybe it's related to the licensing issues, but not sure.

Bundesliga is definitely a better league than the Scandinavian counterparts you mentioned, with all due respect as well :)

Strawberry on my home machine for the full experience, but I usually leave the Vanilla demo installed on my laptop for a bit of a FM fix when I'm travelling (lappie has only a 30GB SSD). I actually still have a few saves ongoing from the FM10 Vanilla demo.

I would always go for strawberry so that I can play in the Italian league and get my shortlist prepared for when the full game comes out

Why would anyone who's part of the development team even need to download a demo when you have access to the game before the rest of us. :confused:

I usually get the vanilla. I don't really care for the graphics and sounds in a demo, nor do I have any intention of carrying on a save made with a quickstart.

I agree with you. I dont see the point of continuning a quickstart especially since it only uses a small db. Much better to start with a bigger db I think.

Archived