Foreign Player Rule

In FM2010, I played with Partizan Belgrade. In the first season, there were no foreign player restrictions. Then, in season two, a maximum of 5 non-Serb players. This became 4 and then 3 over the next two seasons.

It stayed this way for a couple of seasons until, for some reason, the rule changed to a maximum of 3 non-EU players. Now, Serbian players aren't even EU but they weren't considered foreign, so in essense, the restriction was a maximum of 3 non-Serb/EU players.

Now, I understand the non-Serb restriction, I am aware that this is what the Serbian FA are implementing now, but what on earth is it with the EU restriction. Obviously, the random change actually made the game much easier since EU players which weren't Serb were now not foreign, but it is very strange.

My main concern is that I was not aware of the forthcoming changes and so my work in the transfer market did not accomodate for them. (Had too many non Serb players to beging with, then had no EU players even though they were no longer foreign).

So, basically, I was wondering if someone from SEGA could tell me exactly how the player restrictions will work in the Serbian League so that I can plan my transfer spending accordingly.

Thank you

As for how it handles this, the game is correct in the Serbian league changing.

The way it says, in many leagues, non-eu is a problem that has been about for a few versions. You'll see it in Switzerland and Norway (both non-eu countries) too and in many leagues you are allowed players outside the EU from certain regions but it will never tell you about it.

Yeah, the Serbian League is changing but the EU thing seems like an unlikely thing to introduce into Serbia. My main concern is that i wish to know how it will change so that I can accomodate for it.

Could this be caused by Serbia's application to join the EU? As I recall it, they hope to become a full member in 2014/15.

Honestly, that's the first thing I thought of when it happened...but I checked other Serbian players in EU leagues and saw that they were still considered foreign, so Serbia was not in the EU. It's an interesting thought however, that FM would actually try to incorporate upcoming political changes into the game :)

Its most certainly not in anticipation of Serbia joining the EU, its just an error in how they describe it.

Things only get implemented in FM when its confirmed to happen.

Serbia is quite a long way from joining EU having only applied at the end of 2009. This phase of application often lasts around a decade but there is no limit the time to meet all requirements. Turkey has been in this phase since 1987 and more similar nations to Serbia, Croatia and Macedonia since 2003 and 2004 respectively so clearly FM won't be guessing at countries joining the EU at a certain point until its confirmed.

As for how it handles this, the game is correct in the Serbian league changing.

The way it says, in many leagues, non-eu is a problem that has been about for a few versions. You'll see it in Switzerland and Norway (both non-eu countries) too and in many leagues you are allowed players outside the EU from certain regions but it will never tell you about it.

Switzerland and Norway are non EU but they are members of the EFTA so they have probably adopted rules regarding movement of workers from EU countries.

• 3 weeks later...
Its most certainly not in anticipation of Serbia joining the EU, its just an error in how they describe it.

Things only get implemented in FM when its confirmed to happen.

Serbia is quite a long way from joining EU having only applied at the end of 2009. This phase of application often lasts around a decade but there is no limit the time to meet all requirements. Turkey has been in this phase since 1987 and more similar nations to Serbia, Croatia and Macedonia since 2003 and 2004 respectively so clearly FM won't be guessing at countries joining the EU at a certain point until its confirmed.

Just like to point out Quackje....

In game the following will happen for the Serbian SuperLeague regarding Foreign player rules:

• In 2010/11 season a club can name up to 5 foreigners in their matchday squad (first 11 + subs);

• In 2011/12 season a club can name up to 4 foreigners in their matchday squad (first 11 + subs);

• In 2012/13 season and every following season a club can name up to 3 foreigners in their matchday squad (first 11 + subs)

In 2016 in game Serbia will become an EU Nation and from that point only Non-EU players will count as being Foreign.

The above is a qoute from one of the SI people....so the FM2010 issue would have also been due to Serbia's integration into the EU.

Switzerland and Norway are non EU but they are members of the EFTA so they have probably adopted rules regarding movement of workers from EU countries.

This is true and so is Iceland and Lichtenstein. We are members of EFTA and not EU but we share the freedom of movement for workers rules through EEA (except for Lichtenstein I think).

Archived