Newgens signed before 1st Appearance

Had a quick search but couldn't find anything re this.

Something that I've found frustrating and a little un-realistic is that quality newgens are bought by the bigger clubs before they make an appearance at any level; Youth, First Team or International. Obviously this means that AI controlled teams sign or buy players based on Potential Ability, rather than a players performance on the pitch. IRL, under normal circumstances, wonderkids don't leave their club until they've atleast established themselves in their first team and made an impression on scouts that are watching them.

This leads to me to question, Do you think it's realistic that clubs sign newgens the day after they've been "created"(signed to their youth club)?

I know people will argue, well its a "game", but still...

i have to say i agree its frustrating and unrealistic but i myself have an obsession with finding anyone under 17 with half the skills to pay the bills so dont generally miss out hehe. i think this needs to be looked at for a change but there are bigger issues floating around that should take priority

i have to say i agree its frustrating and unrealistic but i myself have an obsession with finding anyone under 17 with half the skills to pay the bills so dont generally miss out hehe.

Yeah I guess your right. It is quite fun to play the Wenger way :)

i think this needs to be looked at for a change but there are bigger issues floating around that should take priority

Once more I agree. Although Im sure this could, potentially, be an easy fix.

It's not entirely unrealistic - regens come into the game around 16 years old. They will all therefore have played football for their clubs academy teams for a number of years, although those apps don't show in the game. Big clubs often buy very young players who have impressed at a youth level before incorporating them into their U18 team or whatever, we jut don't know about it because it's not big news. It's only unrealistic to the extent that clubs pay quite big money in the game for players that haven't proven they are worth that money.

@ petey_g: Thanks for your response, I guess i didn't think about a few of those aspects.

Though, IRL, most transfers of youths generally occur in the same country. E.g. I would understand why Real Madrid sign a Spanish wonderkid. Obviously they would have a good knowledge of the country and pick up a few good newgens here and there.

Whats unrealistic is that a German newgen leaves his home at the age of 14 for England. I think that that is what is one of my main concerns.

@ petey_g: Thanks for your response, I guess i didn't think about a few of those aspects.

Though, IRL, most transfers of youths generally occur in the same country. E.g. I would understand why Real Madrid sign a Spanish wonderkid. Obviously they would have a good knowledge of the country and pick up a few good newgens here and there.

Whats unrealistic is that a German newgen leaves his home at the age of 14 for England. I think that that is what is one of my main concerns.

In most cases a regen that young would ask for a lot of money to move as they would obviously prefer to stay where they are unless they are being offered a ridiculous amount.

All i can say is if the AI clubs didn't sign 15 or 16 year olds before they'd established themselves it would be a lot easier for human managers to capture the most talented youngsters.

I wouldn't say it's entirely unrealistic it all imo.

Taking Man Utd as an example. They have players like Kiko Macheda, Richie De Laet, Magnus Eikrem and Joshua King, all foreign players bought at around 16, 17 years of age straight from the academy's of their original clubs.

Big clubs would actively scout academy leagues and competitions around the world to snap up promising young players before they get to first team level where their prices would soar

It's one of the most important aspects of my games - I love newgen days and will happily spend hours trawling through all the new players. To be honest I'd actually like to see more AI purchasing of youngsters if i'm honest

Taking Man Utd as an example. They have players like Kiko Macheda, Richie De Laet, Magnus Eikrem and Joshua King, all foreign players bought at around 16, 17 years of age straight from the academy's of their original clubs.

Gerard Pique and Cesc Fabregas are two other high profile examples.

If you're not happy with it you could level the playing field a bit. Just scout the most expensive 14-16 year olds each year. This would kind of replicate the AI 'scouting them in youth teams before they appear in the game' - your scouts would probably hear these (expensive) players getting talked about on the grapevine.

This happens all the time IRL, kids getting tapped up at 16 and earlier.

It happened a lot at my club, Leeds for example. Danny Rose was taken from us at 16 by Tottenham, Ben Gordon was nicked by Chelsea along with Tom Taiwo, Luke Garbutt tapped up by Everton.

We did the same thing to Bradford City when we nicked Fabian Delph from them - they got a wedge of the transfer fee when Villa bought him. It happens all the time.

Another easy way to get the best regens is to scout all the regens from the teams with the best academies. This is how i do it. The teams with the best academies usually gets the best regens, although sometimes a real talent appears at random small clubs.

I love the day the new regens come part of the game lol. I spend quite some time just random clicking and scouting the big nations.

Although what i would like to see is something along the lines of some players being under the scouts radar until they turn 20 or so and then hit the game with a bang. Like they have a cap on PA until they hit 20 and then there PA goes from 135 to 180. Not all, but a mix for different players. This way we can potentially miss some players as we look for younger.

And for me, I think it would be better if the bigger clubs like Barcelona go for big superstars. In my game 12 years in barca struggle to hit top 4, while Athletico dominate. I see the likes of Barca and Real spending 25-30mil on a player with average stats then playing them around 5 games throughout the seasons then two years selling them for hardly anything

I wouldn't say it's entirely unrealistic it all imo.

De Laet was signed from Stoke though, hardly an international transfer ;)

I've never seen a player signed within days of being generated. I agree that that is unrealistic, especially given that that player has only just signed a contract saying he wants to play for you!

I agree that that is unrealistic, especially given that that player has only just signed a contract saying he wants to play for you!

THIS.

Fair enough that players get signed when they are just 16 or 17, but this hardly ever happens in IRL with the above given example. They haven't played a youth game for their club yet and they already decide to leave! Maybe the AI clubs should be less flexible in the sale of their youths...

Personally, my bug bear is the price of these 16/17 year olds

They have never played in any sort of match, been kicking the ball around the youth academy for a couple of weeks, yet they are worth millions??? Oh and some are created with national reputations, hell Man Utd signed an "ok" youth from me weeks after he was created, and I got £5million upfront... that's just silly money for a 16 year old who wouldn't even get into my first team ever in his career, let alone theirs, he was already maxed out on his Ability of around 110

So what I think would be better is, the AI lets the player hang around their first club a little while (ideally a year) to see if the player is able to play well in matches, and looks to be able to improve, then try to get the player if they decide they want too

I don't really see an issue. Since players are 'born' at 15/16, the game has to 'create' some kind of youth history for them which appears in the form of their perceived CA/PA. For me, a brand new youth player with great CA/PA is just a player who has had an impressive time in the youth teams which are not represented in FM.

How is it fair that on and after regen day the human player has to trawl through all these players requesting scout reports and so on, when the AI controlled clubs magically know whether or not they are interested in the lot?

How many scouts do premier league clubs have to instantly scout every single regen? How is it on regen day the best ones mysteriouly have umpteen clubs "interested" in them?

There's no level playing field here. The AI clubs do not have to scout. Not only can they evidently see PA, but they are miraculously gifted the knowledge of any decent regen the nanosecond they're created.

And you don't see an issue with that?

Archived