Biased toward defensive negative tactics

why is the game so blatantly biased towards teams who play defensively, im fed up of completely overrunning teams having comical amounts of what appear to be clear cut chances then conceding goals to every single shot on goal from the opposition because there playing ridiculously efficient defensive tactics, were there first shot on goal 99 times out of 100 goes in, were is the logic in playing defensive and needing less chances to score, or playing defensive and the goalkeeper irregardless of how crap he is always gets a 9 or 10 rating, i thought this stupid flaw in the game engine was long gone, totally ruining the game, the balance of the game and the realism imho

why is the game so blatantly biased towards teams who play defensively, im fed up of completely overrunning teams having comical amounts of what appear to be clear cut chances then conceding goals to every single shot on goal from the opposition because there playing ridiculously efficient defensive tactics, were there first shot on goal 99 times out of 100 goes in, were is the logic in playing defensive and needing less chances to score, or playing defensive and the goalkeeper irregardless of how crap he is always gets a 9 or 10 rating, i thought this stupid flaw in the game engine was long gone, totally ruining the game, the balance of the game and the realism imho

Its not really. I have came up with a great defensive tactic that works for the FULL 90minutes. I came up with it in my network game with a friend because i went boro n he was newcastle and i was getting beaten by most teams. I tweaked ALL my tactics and now i play a 4-6-0. With heavy counter-attacks and long balls. I think i beat chelsea 3-1 with it after losing my previous few games.

I will test it more and if i am happy with it i will happily send it to you. It kind of plays the way Rangers do in real-life.

Make sure closing down is set to near your box area for a start.

Read the comment again.

Make sure you dont use alot of long shots. Try short passing if using an attacking tactic. It does getting annoying sometimes tho when i have had it happen.

One thing that annoys me if the fixture results. in my game liverpool lost 6-0 to arsenal and on the same day two other teams won 3-1 and 3-1. Always seems that other teams end up with the same high score. 3 times now i have had teams draw 4-4 aswell.

Some results are just very rare in reallife.

No, not really. Everyone nowadays is primarily concerned with not conceding goals. Look at the Premiere, the world cup, even the champions, games average 2 goals per match.

Its more blatantly obvious on the premiere, where everyone outside the big 4 is just scared of relegation.

Maybe it's because players tend to make their "Normal" tactic as attcking as most genuine manager's "attacking" formation is. I dare say many make their defensive as attacking as even the likes of Wenger has their attacking formation?

The tactics are biased towards those that work. Simple as that really.

Its a a reflection of current tactical climate. Capello appointed as england coach, Mourinho winning leagues and cups, Greece winning the Euro and countless other successful defensive examples. It will more unrealistic to not favor defensive tactics given how successful they are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Genuine_quality:

why is the game so blatantly biased towards teams who play defensively, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yawn icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The tactics are biased towards those that work. Simple as that really. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

It's also a silly thing to say. All games are different. Arsenal and Man U are virtually unbeatable on my game and they're definitely not defensive.

If you're on 802 and still having problems scoring with loads of possession and shots on target you're just doing something a bit wrong. Be patient and experiment a bit with your tactics. I get the odd game like this, but I can usually squeeze in a last-minute goal by playing slightly differently, but then I found that was also true with 801. Hardly anyone has this issue any more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

It's also a silly thing to say. All games are different. Arsenal and Man U are virtually unbeatable on my game and they're definitely not defensive.

If you're on 802 and still having problems scoring with loads of possession and shots on target you're just doing something a bit wrong. Be patient and experiment a bit with your tactics. I get the odd game like this, but I can usually squeeze in a last-minute goal by playing slightly differently, but then I found that was also true with 801. Hardly anyone has this issue any more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man U arent so bad after a few seasons but Arsenal are a joke as theyre kids all develop into world class players.

I know Wenger and Arsenal have a history for this but the way they all turn out golden in FM08 is a joke.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cice2:

Its a a reflection of current tactical climate. Capello appointed as england coach, Mourinho winning leagues and cups, Greece winning the Euro and countless other successful defensive examples. It will more unrealistic to not favor defensive tactics given how successful they are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The game doesnt mirror the current tactical climate- otherwise why is a slow patient buildup in order to create better chances more effective with world class players than fast, incisive play?

The tactical side is awful as slower tempo play is actually easier to defend against irl as teams are not caught on the backfoot.

Please dont credit SI with following current trends as from FM08 they havent got a finger on the pulse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

If you're on 802 and still having problems scoring with loads of possession and shots on target you're just doing something a bit wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree- although this encapsulates perfectly what is wrong with the tactical side of FM and has been wrong for a couple of releases now.

Wonder if this will be ignored for another year?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

If you're on 802 and still having problems scoring with loads of possession and shots on target you're just doing something a bit wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree- although this encapsulates perfectly what is wrong with the tactical side of FM and has been wrong for a couple of releases now.

Wonder if this will be ignored for another year? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not post up a bit about your tactic in the tactic's section and am sure you'll get some help from those who can get tactic's working no bother. icon14.gif

Archived