Do players ever object to the value of their contract buy out clause?

All contracts at spanish clubs have them, but I always set the figure to 200million in contract negotiations regardless of the player's value and have never had a player ask for it to be lowered. Surely at least some would want to haggle over it as it would be in their interests to have it at a reasonable figure should they want to move on?

Has anyone had a player demand it be lowered before signing?

I could be wrong and I have no evidence - just as I manage in Spain - but like a salary and a signing on fee are part of the negattion process and the players are effected by this - I don't think that the minimum release clasue has any effect on the player and thus I don't think the player has any feelings on the value of the minimum release clause. We could test this by trying it out on a save mind!

I've never had a player mention it, which makes it really easy to exploit. Pretty much every player I have gets a minimum 50 million release clause.

Really? I rarely have mine set as more than say 25m as I actually want clubs to bid the minimum fee - do you find that sides actually pay that much (50m) or is it just a way of making sure they don't get stolen from you? If so I'll ramp my minimum fees up a bit in future

Archived