FC Bayern Munchen still a Big Club?

I'm currently managing FC Bayern in 2012 and I'm finding it difficult to sign any top quality players. I've agreed the transfer fee, but I keep getting rejected by the players, I get the "He is not sure whether a transfer to a German club would be a good career move" message a lot. German Champions & Champions League Semi-finalists last season, are we now considered a small club?

Also where can I find my clubs Ranking?

Cheers,

Barnes

Big History, Big Players, but not a big club in dominating force. Yes, in the German League they won but didn't they finish 6th the other season? They also lack ability for Champions League at the moment and lost 4-0 to Zenit Peterburg in UEFA Cup semi finals. Toni, Ribery and Sagnol are good. I feel they were a bit too dependant on Kahn.

Originally posted by Gerry-Atric:

same as if u are playing with PSV or Ajax big clubs but not a big league,high profile players prefer to play in spain Italy or England in my experience.

thats what i would have said. you're better off looking for the best players at domestic clubs, or young players from similar standard leagues.

although i was very suprised when i re-signed van der vaart for ajax in my new dutch game... favorite club probably.

I played with Bayern for 6 or 7 seasons, I think it was the 4th or 5th season when I signed Ronaldo and Rooney from Man U, Ronaldo for 36, Rooney 33 million pounds. Before I signed them, the highest I got in the champions league was semi-finals.

to klimowicz, i also managed to sign van der vaart, he had 2 amazing seasons then left for man u, also signed kompany who's currently at the club, i feel like i'm getting poached because every good player im forced to sell due to bigger clubs wanting them, the next one in line is alessandro rosina, who's having a great sseason and should be leaving at the end

Originally posted by Digger Barnes:

"He is not sure whether a transfer to a German club would be a good career move"

I think this is the main point, as it seems to indicate that it's the league rather than the club.

I played 6 seasons in Germany with FC Bayern, won 6 leagues and 6 cups, made 1 CL final appearance and had built myself up to be the richest club in the world. Despite all this when I player searched and filtered it by value with "filter out unrealistic targets" and I don't get many top class players interested.

It is true to life though. Other than Ribery and Toni (who I don't necessarily consider TOP quality) who was the last big big name to move to Germany instead of Spain or Italy? Even when Bayern were challenging for the CL in 2009/2010/2011 no-one of particular note signed for them.

I agree with Nomis, the league itself isnt strong enough to attract the top stars.

I assume, in the gameevery league has a reputation of its own, and when they say that a german league is not a good careeer move, it is highlighting this lack of reputation.

I had the problem once with Rangers, but sustained european success, improved the leagues reputation, as I fed the other teams a few players they normally wouldnt get, they improved, generally upping the leagues ability.

Bayern, also are not the force they were, thy are still a big name, but not really as strong as they used to be.

Bayern Munich on my game, in 2014, are now a mid table club and have been for some while. Decent players still there, they just haven't signed new people. Gladbach (who start the game in the second tier) are top of the Bundesliga and Champions League Quarter Finalists at the moment. Funny league, Germany!!

Gordon Strachan was Bayern Munich manager at one point....

Bayern have acted as a bit of a breeding ground for managers since I left in 2013. They have had four managers in the four years since then and all of them have won the league, so Bayern have just done 10 in a row. Mihajlovic took over from me and is now Arsenal manager, then Thomas Linke who is now Inter manager and Guardiola spent two years there before taking over Liverpool.

On the Gordon Strachan point, he's just been sacked by AC MIlan icon_biggrin.gif

League reputation is, as others have said, the key point here. Club reputation can only ever affect a player's decision to a certain extent however successful the club is if they are in a lower reputation league.

The German league seems to be that way though in real life - Czechs, Austrians, Poles and other Eastern European players often move there, but players from the big leagues very rarely move to Germany. There will always be exceptions, even going all the way back to Kevin Keegan playing for Hamburg, but you have to just accept the limitations when it comes to signing big reputation players.

In 3 years at Werder Bremen I have been able to attract a sufficient quality of player for me to be very happy. The limitation there for me is my own ability and tactics - I play a certain tactical style and like to play attacking football, although tis is partly dictated by my inability to get defensive instructions right. As far as players go though I am happy that I have been able to put a squad together that can challenge for the Bundesliga title if I have the ability as manager. As for Europe, again my tactical nouse will decide that. I made Champs League semis first season, but have done progressively worse in each season since.

Originally posted by glamdring:

In 3 years at Werder Bremen I have been able to attract a sufficient quality of player for me to be very happy.

That's a major point. If you are realisitic when playing the game then you will be able to sign good enough players to dominate the Bundesliga or at least put up a challenge year in year out. If you are unrealistic and expect continental success you may struggle with the level of players available.

I've just taken over VFB and have made a number of really solid signings who I think will help me challenge for the league, but i'll be dumped out of the Euro Cup as soon as I meet a half decent side.

Interestingly, in my latest pre-season I managed to sign a high quality Portsmouth player on a Bosman as well as one of Hamburg's best players (another told me where to go when I tried to sign him and moved to Sevilla instead though!). I also signed two players from Serie A side Sampdoria, both of whom were happy to move to Werder Bremen despite being either squad rotation or key player status at Sampdoria.

Continental reputation players such as Roberto Soldado at Real Madrid who lists Werder Bremen amongst his favourite clubs after a 6 month loan in my first season have no interest in moving to Bremen though of course.

Archived