i'm bigger than sir alex and bray wanderers don't want me

its 2022 and i'm the most successful manager in english football history. just won the quadruple (including CL) and on a lark, i resigned from my team and applied for the job at irish first division bray wanderers. figured i was a shoe in but they took an inexperienced unemployed manager instead of me.

what gives?

They can't afford you. Simple.

I resigned from a 120k a week job as Real Madrid manager and moved to a 4k a week job. OP will probably be on a lot less I know but I am pretty sure it only applies if you are still under contract.

Bray wouldnt even bother trying to approach Sir Alex Ferguson as wouldnt be able to afford him and couldnt match his ambitions. They probably wouldnt even know how to contact his agent! Thats why they would never offer you the job.

Didnt Ossie Ardiles apply for manager job at Heresford job this week only to not even make the shortlist as he is "not right for the club" and that level of football. Very similar (althoughI appreciate Ardiles obviously isnt as established as Fergie lol)

i think that as you applied they should at least offer a contract, rubbish to say they just assumed they couldnt afford you so didnt, its obvious that a manager that has won all that would realise that Bray Wanderers arent going to match his wage. Maybe the new interractions will solve this

Bray wouldnt even bother trying to approach Sir Alex Ferguson as wouldnt be able to afford him and couldnt match his ambitions. They probably wouldnt even know how to contact his agent! Thats why they would never offer you the job.

Did you read the OP? He applied for the job, Im pretty sure if SAF would get the job if he applied at any lower league club.

One reasonable answer is that they had already decided on who would get the job. you applied between the game making the decision and actually announcing it.

Beyond that, there shouldn't ever be a situation where a lower league club refuses a legendary manager who directly applies, out of contract. If he's willing to take the wage drop and there's no compensation involved, why would they refuse?

One reasonable answer is that they had already decided on who would get the job. you applied between the game making the decision and actually announcing it.

Beyond that, there shouldn't ever be a situation where a lower league club refuses a legendary manager who directly applies, out of contract. If he's willing to take the wage drop and there's no compensation involved, why would they refuse?

To not end up in a situation like Notts County ;)

yer thats a great idea, so when he didnt get the job he gets sacked and the fans and club etc hate him.

nice..

Thats another thing wrong with FM, in reality the info is hardly ever leaked. Maybe there should be a 5-10% chance the fans will find out but in FM its 100% which is stupid. So if I apply for another job, I do a save just before and roll back if I dont get it.

The manager that they gave the Bray Wanderers job to was Irish. Also, I'm still managing the US national team. That might have some impact.

After that, Philip mexes quit L'OM to manage my old team. When i applied for his old job i was turned down. So weird!!! Do i have virtual bad breath?

Thats another thing wrong with FM, in reality the info is hardly ever leaked. Maybe there should be a 5-10% chance the fans will find out but in FM its 100% which is stupid. So if I apply for another job, I do a save just before and roll back if I dont get it.

do they get annoyed if you apply, or just when you declare interest or say you want to when you get linked?

Same thing happened to me. I had managed Rodez, a small French team, I took them to Ligue 1, won multiple league, cup and CL trophies, made them the second richest club in the world, etc. I also won a world cup with Brazil in the meantime. I resigned due to the fact that they refused to build a new stadium and I simply couldn't get a decent job in England for months. I got turned down by PL clubs and even League 1 ones. I managed to get the Millwall job after about six months, they were about 15th in the Championship at the time.

do they get annoyed if you apply, or just when you declare interest or say you want to when you get linked?

When you apply which is stupid, there were 30 applicants for the recent Saints Job including 2 prem managers and the Bournemouth manager admitted he had an interview. I dont see the board or fans calling for his head.

It would be ok if they only got angry if you declared interest while in the job and even then, it shouldnt be 100% of the time.

The manager that they gave the Bray Wanderers job to was Irish. Also, I'm still managing the US national team. That might have some impact.

After that, Philip mexes quit L'OM to manage my old team. When i applied for his old job i was turned down. So weird!!! Do i have virtual bad breath?

Sorry but yes, may I suggest you virtually floss.

The unfortunate thing is that these decisions are not transparent at all. Irl clubs will usually give a short feedback as to why they preferred another guy. If that info was provided we could see whether the logic behind the decision-making process is bugged or whether we could say 'fair enough'.

Irl such a small club probably just couldn't believe that a legend manager has serious interest in them. Signing him might stir things up much more than they like and they would probably also fear that the famous guy will be gone ver soon as well. On top of that indeed a top class manager may struggle much more on a low level than a guy who is familiar with the style of play and the challenges on a lower level.

Tbh though I doubt that FM makes considerations as complicated as those and I suspect the logic to be buggy rather than this to be taken into account.

Which means that as long as no decision is explained we suffer from double frustration :(

Ime thinking that clubs have certain things they look for in a manager. if you look at the database it has prefered formation etc. So maybe they wanted an irish manager and say a guy who played 4-4-2 in his prefered formations. Kind of realstic i think.

It definetly has an impact, I was manager of Spain after resigning from Real Madrid, world class rep, applied for loads of jobs, but never got them. After I resigned from Spain, the jobs came flooding in.

Try resigning from USA, and see if you get the job.

Archived