Have you played FM on a Solid State Drive?

I'd recommend upgrading to a Core 2 Duo if you'll have to upgrade your motherboard for an i7. Lot of options to choose from as well when choosing a new Core 2 Duo processor.

I think he already has a C2D.

@Uquillas

Mention your CPU model no please

I upgraded my laptop with Windows 7 and an SSD about a month ago on the recommendation of computer expert friend and its made a massive difference. It processes data several times faster (not just loading and saving) and even though having to wait on you looking at things and playing matches and stuff limits the speed boost its still a few times faster at least in the long term and the gaps between matches fly by considerably faster than that (I think the data-processing potential of an SSD is like 28x). Admitedly have no idea about the other options people were talking about but I do know an SSD makes a considerable difference.

Admitedly it's a bit more (£115 or so for a 64GB one which my friend highly recommends (at least the exact model he suggested, and when he recommends something as strongly as he did its worth listening to) as the best balance of size and price, plus for me there was an extra £70 or so for Windows 7). It depends on how easily you can spare it but if you run more than a few leagues then the speed boost (3 or 4 times at least in total, much more in between matches) is definitely worth it and while I don't know how much faster other processors would make it it's probably nowhere near that. In general it (and 7) speeds up my laptop no end (you only have to wait a few seconds instead of a couple of minutes for it to start up for instance) that in my opinion the performance boost (it's so smooth as well as fast, handy when switching between various tabs all the time, even with FM running which used to slow things down no end) makes it easily worth it if you can spare the investment.

SSD will only make Loading & Saving the game faster. Nothing else.

Won't the page file load faster if its coming off a solid state, ie. no spin up latency with standard HDD etc. Perhaps would make the game quicker, if multitasking or whatever, depending on RAM.

Won't the page file load faster if its coming off a solid state, ie. no spin up latency with standard HDD etc. Perhaps would make the game quicker, if multitasking or whatever, depending on RAM.

Ofcourse. But RAM is dirt cheap and SSD costs a fortune.

if you run more than a few leagues then the speed boost (3 or 4 times at least in total, much more in between matches) is definitely worth it and while I don't know how much faster other processors would make it it's probably nowhere near that.

FM is hugely dependent on the processor. The diff we be much more noticable.

Well the game should load up and save quicker but not sure about ingame as it mainly depends on processor and ram.

You'll be able to load up the game and save quicker, i doubt there will be much extra performance when your actually playing tho.

U should get more processor power and more RAM, SSD will only short ur loading & saving time, nothing else.

/edit

Ur computer is good enough for FM, no need for further upgrade.

Well, that's not entirely true. A SSD will also speed up the game while playing, allthough one may not be that aware of it. Simply becuase the SSD will be much faster than a regular spinning disk with reading/writing all the small files that FM reads and writes constantly. But it's the loading and saving times that will be most noticeable, that's true. Also I believe that a SSD will negate to a great degree the slowdown many players notice, after many years into a career game.

And a Core i7 will definately speed up things. An i7 has 4 physical cores + 4 logical cores (HyperThreading), and I can confirm that FM at times makes use of all 8 threads while processing - usually on Saturdays/Sundays when a lot of matches is playing simultaneously around the world - but normally only 1 or 2 of them.

In short; a machine with a Core i7, enough RAM (4+ Gb), and a SSD, along with a decent graphics chip, will be an ideal machine for FM.

Well, that's not entirely true. A SSD will also speed up the game while playing, allthough one may not be that aware of it. Simply becuase the SSD will be much faster than a regular spinning disk with reading/writing all the small files that FM reads and writes constantly.

Wouldn't using ReadyBoost do the same job at a fraction of the price?

Although you wouldn't get the benefit of faster loading and saving times.

Wouldn't using ReadyBoost do the same job at a fraction of the price?

Although you wouldn't get the benefit of faster loading and saving times.

ReadyBoost just provides a faster base for the pagefile once physical memory runs out, as opposed to swapping to the hard drive. It's also only worthwhile using on Systems with 2GB of RAM or less. Readyboost will probably speed up load times and responsiveness a bit on systems with already limited RAM, but otherwise, no it won't do the same job.

SSDs improve loading times, the best example is for a flight simulator, it loads up the world, which may only be a set number of miles, if you exceed this you need to load more from the hard drive so here an SSD will stop jitter and lag as you cross over. It also improves map loading times, object loading times, save loading times etc for many other games.

In FM our interface is very simple and once loaded only the RAM and processor speed things up.

I love my rig, I have two SSDs, one for the OS and one for my steam games. I have an OC i7 920 with liquid cooling, 6 gigs of 1600 RAM and as soon as ATI get their new cards out im upgrading my HD4870!

I play FPS, flight sims and many other games, I have noticed an improvement for all any my PC runs faster than anything I use at work or any of my friends or families. I never wait long for anything!

I love my rig, I have two SSDs, one for the OS and one for my steam games. I have an OC i7 920 with liquid cooling, 6 gigs of 1600 RAM and as soon as ATI get their new cards out im upgrading my HD4870!

Show off ! :p;)

SSDs improve loading times, the best example is for a flight simulator, it loads up the world, which may only be a set number of miles, if you exceed this you need to load more from the hard drive so here an SSD will stop jitter and lag as you cross over. It also improves map loading times, object loading times, save loading times etc for many other games.

In FM our interface is very simple and once loaded only the RAM and processor speed things up.

I play FPS, flight sims and many other games, I have noticed an improvement for all any my PC runs faster than anything I use at work or any of my friends or families. I never wait long for anything!

Same, i have an i5 750 @ 4.2, 4GiB of RAM @ 2100 but only a regular old hard drive... i don't see the attraction in SSD's as in real world terms, a couple of seconds loading times in games don't justify the hefty price and low storage space. I'd rather wait 5 seconds and save that wad. SSD's are only for people who like to show off their e-peen, or could benefit from using it in programs which could utilize the read times. For gamers, it merely improves the load times and isn't really that much to shout about.

Archived