I haven't enjoyed FM since 2007, is 2010 any good?

As the title says, i've played 2008 and 2009 and whilst i thought 2009 was an improvement i found it extremely frustrating and unpredictable and to be honest not in the slightest bit enjoyable compared to 2007. It's like all the improvements (which were good on paper) but felt these were at the expense of what made 2007 good.

Can anyone relate to this? And if you can, what can I expect from 2010? I'd rather play a game which has no bugs than wait next month for 2011.

I'd rather play a game which has no bugs than wait next month for 2011.

FM10 still has bugs. FM11 will too. Nothing is bug free.

FM10 is very good....and personally my favourite FM/CM incarnation yet. Sod FM 10 though and get on the FM11 band wagon. Demo probably out soon

+1.

My fav is FM10 too. Can hardly wait for FM11.

I strongly recommend waiting until FM11 comes out.

FM is very different now to FM07, I'm not sure whether it's better or worse. It certainly isn't as addictive.

I've found the opposite, I've played more seasons on FM2010 than any other version. The most I'd done before this was with FM2006.

I've found the opposite, I've played more seasons on FM2010 than any other version. The most I'd done before this was with FM2006.

To be honest, it's probably the same as me (even though I'm quite a slow player and couldn't compare the number of seasons I've played to you Dafuge!)

FM07 saw one of my best ever saves. FM08 was pretty good too.

But nothing compares to FM10 where I have had several enjoyable saves that don't look like finishing any time soon.

FM10 is the most addictive for me personally. The most addictive since FM07, which was probably the last time I just couldn't stop playing!

I still have bad memories with FM07, getting sacked at Staines will forever tarnish that version for me.

I'm sure I've heard this story before but will you humour me and remind me why you got sacked? I feel sure it was something outside your control but I can't quite remember the story behind it.

FM 2010 is way better then FM 2009 and 2008 together. The fantastic four are CM 99/00, CM 01/02, FM 2007 and believe it or not FM 2010. I have two magic saves with Dover and Aalst and one waiting with Ascoli.

The ones I have got the most enjoyment out of are probably CM2 (my first version!), CM3, CM03/04, FM07, FM08 and FM10.

CM03/04 wasn't perfect by a long shot but I had one of my best ever saves on that one. FM07 was another one in which I had one of my best saves, and FM10 will probably be the next absolute favourite for me.

What's the story behind your three saves? All on FM10, I take it?

I'm sure I've heard this story before but will you humour me and remind me why you got sacked? I feel sure it was something outside your control but I can't quite remember the story behind it.

I'd taken Staines to the Premiership and despite a poor run of form toward the end of the season, we exceeded expectations. A board takeover was then completed after the end of the season and the new owner sacked me without giving me a chance to prove myself to him :mad:

This doesn't seem to happen any more as the new boards tend to recognise what you have achieved with the club in the past (like a series of promotions).

I have played FM10 more than any other version since FM07. FM07, while great, really ground me down with all of the clicks and manual adjustments that I had to do.

I like the simpler more streamlined tactics in FM10. Less clicking and more playing.

dafuge, I would have been tempted to create a new manager and put myself back in at Staines.

Ah, that's right. I thought it was a takeover. You must have been really mad. :mad:

I was absolutely livid. I started again with AFC Wimbledon but it wasn't as much fun second time around.

I then followed that up with an attempt to win the CL with a team from Northern Ireland. I made the final for the first time in years and then blew a 2-0 lead, losing 3-2 to Valencia. I never played that save again after that match.

It's safe to say I don't have fond memories of FM07 :D

Quite honestly, all the games have had bugs but they have all been enjoyable for me.

The things that would make a game unplayable are;

a- Crashes.

b- UI being complex and over-clicky.

c- Wrong results being handed out.

d- Too many injuries.

FM10 hasn't for me, invloved any of these. There have been odd bugs around with C and A. But now I have had 2 very fun long term games.

To the OP.

It depends on what you value more, fun or realism.

Ever since FM07 (FM08 and on words) in my believe, the FM has become a managing small metagames that slow down play, because you have Press Conferences, Boardroom advices and so on to manage between the matches. Not to mention how clutter and complicated and complex the game has become.

if you value the fun part of FM, to play several matches and make a season in less time, hiring players to make the best team (either with superstars or with youngsters), then I advice you to stick to FM07 or earlier.

One thing is for sure, this is no longer the FM\CM you started to play, since has become much more complicated and if this is enjoyment for you or not, that is you to decide.

But since we getting close to release of FM11, my advice is for you to try out the FM11 demo.

Probably my favourite version since CM01/02. Obviously I realise that FM10 is a better game but nostalgia tips the scales in 01/02's favour for me.

Remember starting a new job and being in a training school for a while before I started proper work - I was the only one getting trained and the chap taking the course buggered off quite often leaving me to bring my laptop in to play CM01/02. Remember getting a few bottles of Bud in one afternoon once I'd signed Tsigalko. Such a let down though as he failed to score all day, pathetic really but no-one caught me with the carry-out so it was all good...

I hate FM10. I will always remember it as the first game i have ever been sacked in.

:p dont really hate it, best version so far, was my fault for taking on a challenge that i couldnt handle :(

lol its ok mate. we all do it at some point ;)

I must be the sole dissenter here, because I didn't like FM10 and found it far too complictated and complex.

I still liked FM07 the best, because, as someone has mentioned already, it was the last one that was still a simple, easy to play game, as opposed to the FMs that followed afterwards that became really tedious "simulators". (I didn't buy FM08, FM09 was still reasonable, I hated FM10)

I'm not a geek, I don't want to fiddle with tactics or training and whatnot. I just want to load it up and play.

Maybe one day there's a game that goes back to that. I doubt it'll be FM though.

The ones I have got the most enjoyment out of are probably CM2 (my first version!), CM3, CM03/04, FM07, FM08 and FM10.

CM03/04 wasn't perfect by a long shot but I had one of my best ever saves on that one. FM07 was another one in which I had one of my best saves, and FM10 will probably be the next absolute favourite for me.

What's the story behind your three saves? All on FM10, I take it?

I play the game without cheating and FM2010 is the first version that didn't had any unrealistic gamebreaking flaws. With FM 2008 the board put me with new unrealistic stadium plans in debt and when we where relegated by one point after two consecutive promotions they sacked me.

In this version with Aalst I missed the first season promotion with 1 point. The board kept faith in me even that we where predicted for promotion. The second season we went in Tweede klasse and the fourth season after gaining promotion to the Eerste klasse, we where relegated in the degradation playoff and still they trusted me. Now another 5 years later I won the league. This was never possible in some previous versions.

I believe that football Manager has evolved to a more intelligent simulation. The only thing that needs change is the AI for other teams and Managers. They lack personality and everything is still based on reputation. And Team talks obviously!

I also really enjoy FM2010 because of the tactics creator. I never took the time to understand the sliders completely and had to rely on downloaded tactics (thanks Knap!) in the earlier versions but at the end it didn't feel like I had acomplished anything as it wasn't my own tactics that did the trick.

/JB

Me too, i haven't played since 2008. The other day i got FM10 from my brother and it's really nice!

Some differences but mainly the same old thing, didn't take long to get back on track.

I'm impressed how the game is so fast! Well, probably because my machine is way faster...

I'm just waiting to get FM11 now.

FM10 is very good, the best so far.

However I didnt get into it as much as FM09. That one I played for the whole year and wasnt ready to put my save game to rest, although I did. I then found it hard to get into FM2010.

Did played it a lot still, not just as fanatically.

All refreshed and looking forward to FM11 though!

I'm one of the semi-dissenters. FM10 is alright, but it doesn't hold my interest the way FM07 did. FM10 is filled with a remarkable number of speedbumps that slow down the pace of play, which I really detest. Pre-game press conferences, transfer press conferences, backroom meetings, seemingly endless transfer speculation about players you'd never sign in a million years... not to mention the pestilential fans, who don't fathom that fighting back to earn an away draw for Sheff Wed against Chelsea is a good result-- not a bad result. It all detracts from the core gameplay: signing players, tweaking tactics, and, heaven forbid, playing matches!

FM07 was beautiful for its simplicity: you buy players, make a tactic, and play a match. Tweak your tactic. Then you play another match. Then another. And another. No press conferences between matches, no irrelevant backroom advice every two weeks, no fans complaining about good results. Everything you did in that game was geared towards transfers, tactics, or matches. No metagames.

If SI took the training system of CM03/04 and the scouting system of FM10 and inserted those elements in FM07, I'd be a happy man. I always loved actually being able to assign "real" training activities to my players, rather than just using sliders. It was complicated, but more enjoyable. As for scouting, FM10 makes that aspect much easier, especially in terms of star ratings, personality sorting, and the layout of reports for each player.

I'd recommend sticking with FM07 for the next couple of weeks, and then giving the FM11 demo a whirl. Features that might have been a bit rough in FM10 may well have been smoothed over, making for a better experience.

Pfft I think not.

If you have a problem with my post then try reading one of the several hundred threads discussing it rather than trying to goad me.

Not biting.

i dont follow, im asking what you consider to be game breakers?

You need to settle down, i am not goading you in any way, just curious as to what you think breaks it after the patches?

Archived