The Milan Lab

I have a question.. Has the game ever simulated the "Milan Lab" ??? Would it do so in the future ??? I mean, not literally with an actual lab and stuff, but in the fitness and longevity of Milan's players in the game ???

I don't think they've done it yet, but would it unreasonable for them to put it in future editions ???

I have a question.. Has the game ever simulated the "Milan Lab" ??? Would it do so in the future ??? I mean, not literally with an actual lab and stuff, but in the fitness and longevity of Milan's players in the game ???

I don't think they've done it yet, but would it unreasonable for them to put it in future editions ???

in Milan lab, players take steroids and drug. watch Pato, that in two years is grown up 8 centimetres.

I think one of the problems with representing Milan Lab is that there is so much secrecy over it, no one outside of Milan knows what goes on there. How do you represent that in game?

That IS a very good point.. But i meant something more like just presenting the outer effects of the Lab.. Not trying to simulate it's working and stuff.. Like a comparatively slower decline of the player's physical attributes..That is something actually noticeable in real life..

Staff of different clubs could specialize in different stuff like they do in real life.. eg. bringing through youth at a low level(Crewe), bringing through the youth playing a certain way(Barca, Ajax), etc.. And ofcourse extending the player's careers i the case of Milan..

That IS a very good point.. But i meant something more like just presenting the outer effects of the Lab.. Not trying to simulate it's working and stuff.. Like a comparatively slower decline of the player's physical attributes..That is something actually noticeable in real life..

Staff of different clubs could specialize in different stuff like they do in real life.. eg. bringing through youth at a low level(Crewe), bringing through the youth playing a certain way(Barca, Ajax), etc.. And ofcourse extending the player's careers i the case of Milan..

Indeed, that would be nice to see. And you are right that we don't need to see exactly whats going on.

I completely 100% agree with this thread, Milanlab is a massive feature of the club with cutting edge technology they've invested huge sums in and should be incorporated in the game as should all things that make any club unique. Such a club with world class physio facilities should also be factored in the rate that players decline and also should be used to give early warnings to tell the manager when a player is on the wane. If you have a facility like this they should be able to tell you if a 33 yr old prospective signing still has say 5 good years in him, whereas other players may have peaked in the 20's and should be avoided. It's touches like this that would elevate the game massively.

Something that has also irritated me in the game is that as Milan you start with 7+ physios and yet the board in the game expect you only to have the generic 3 physios and wont allow you to sign anymore, why? Is Milanlab suddenly no longer important to the club? It's crazy as is also that the physios seem to play no specific role so that 7 is no better than 1, whereas in real life they all presumably have an important separate function to perform.

This game is supposed to be an accurate sim of the real game, but it has done nothing yet in my awareness to start reflecting the unique culture, character and playing style each club has which makes that club identifiable. Starting by working to include Milanlab would be a massive and long overdue step in the right direction imo.

There are some aspects of real world football that cannot and should not be implemented into FM. This is one of them.

Your asking for a scientific lab to be represented in a computer game. At present we only have 'physio's', a very general term for modern day football medical teams.

Id prefer to see more medical staff roles such as team doctor, psychologist etc....

I just can't see how such laboratries could work in FM. What, if you have one at your club all your players can play into their 40's?! It's only really media speculation that has created the myth about the Milan Lab, although im not doubting it as a scientific sports lab, im sure it's top class.

Remember that Milan Lab has created some problems to few players.
Care to elaborate?

football-italia.net

If I were a Milan player right now, I’d be worried. The spate of serious injuries at the club hit its nadir in a week that ended Alessandro Nesta and David Beckham’s seasons. Alexandre Pato has played a couple of games this year due to a recurring muscular problem that he can’t seem to shake. All of this is what the much-vaunted Milan Lab was created in order to prevent.

“This structure allows us to optimise the performances of players thanks to our exclusive and innovative PAS (Predictive Analysis Server), a system that works to prevent and signal possible risks for a player.” The Milan Lab takes daily results of various physical tests and runs them through computer programmes to give a constantly up-to-date idea of fitness and stop a player from pushing himself too far if there is the risk of injury.

You’d think such an advanced system would notice that an Achilles tendon was about to snap. Not just tear, oh no, it broke completely. That is not an easy thing for a tendon to do. This is the same Milan Lab that failed to notice Ronaldo’s knee tendon would give way completely.

Even worse, Nesta revealed that the initial damage to his knee was done in the penultimate game he featured in. Yet Milan Lab cleared him to play again three days later and to visit Manchester before eventually wrecking it completely in training. Kaka had already highlighted problems with the Rossoneri’s fitness staff last season, as he made more progress in five days in Brazil than in several weeks at Milanello.

I wouldn’t mind so much, after all it’s no worse than the Juventus injury record, if it weren’t for the bragging about this state of the art technology. In the light of the latest embarrassing incidents, fans are bound to feel even more bemused by the Aly Cissokho saga. In the summer this valuable full-back’s signature was announced before Milan pulled out, citing problems with his teeth.

Maybe Milan Lab just needs to be tinkered with? In 2008 they announced a new partnership with Microsoft, so they might be waiting for new drivers to work with Windows 7? Or perhaps this has all been an elaborate ruse. Distracted by players running, jumping and doing squat thrusts, eventually the little piece of paper will pop out of the giant machinery telling us the meaning of life is 42. At least then Milan Lab would’ve been good for something.

football-italia.net

If I were a Milan player right now, I’d be worried. The spate of serious injuries at the club hit its nadir in a week that ended Alessandro Nesta and David Beckham’s seasons. Alexandre Pato has played a couple of games this year due to a recurring muscular problem that he can’t seem to shake. All of this is what the much-vaunted Milan Lab was created in order to prevent.

“This structure allows us to optimise the performances of players thanks to our exclusive and innovative PAS (Predictive Analysis Server), a system that works to prevent and signal possible risks for a player.” The Milan Lab takes daily results of various physical tests and runs them through computer programmes to give a constantly up-to-date idea of fitness and stop a player from pushing himself too far if there is the risk of injury.

You’d think such an advanced system would notice that an Achilles tendon was about to snap. Not just tear, oh no, it broke completely. That is not an easy thing for a tendon to do. This is the same Milan Lab that failed to notice Ronaldo’s knee tendon would give way completely.

Even worse, Nesta revealed that the initial damage to his knee was done in the penultimate game he featured in. Yet Milan Lab cleared him to play again three days later and to visit Manchester before eventually wrecking it completely in training. Kaka had already highlighted problems with the Rossoneri’s fitness staff last season, as he made more progress in five days in Brazil than in several weeks at Milanello.

I wouldn’t mind so much, after all it’s no worse than the Juventus injury record, if it weren’t for the bragging about this state of the art technology. In the light of the latest embarrassing incidents, fans are bound to feel even more bemused by the Aly Cissokho saga. In the summer this valuable full-back’s signature was announced before Milan pulled out, citing problems with his teeth.

Maybe Milan Lab just needs to be tinkered with? In 2008 they announced a new partnership with Microsoft, so they might be waiting for new drivers to work with Windows 7? Or perhaps this has all been an elaborate ruse. Distracted by players running, jumping and doing squat thrusts, eventually the little piece of paper will pop out of the giant machinery telling us the meaning of life is 42. At least then Milan Lab would’ve been good for something.

All well and good but you have to give them credit for getting Maldini and Costacurta playing into their 40's as well as other notable players performing at a high level beyond an age they would have elsewhere.

All well and good but you have to give them credit for getting Maldini and Costacurta playing into their 40's as well as other notable players performing at a high level beyond an age they would have elsewhere.[/QUOTe]

To be fair, Maldini played until he was 40 and Costacurta managed 3 appearances at 41 - his last 'full' season (15 or so appearances) was at 40. So to say they played 'into their 40's' gives a false impression. But that's only IMO.

As for other notable players playing on at a decent level, it's really not that unheard of at other clubs.

Milan Lab? Expensive smoke and mirrors.

please - they play till 40 because Milan ask them, especially with Maldini. What about Zanetti? He never been in Milan Lab and he run more than Balotelli, that is 17 years younger.

Please, that is a sign of the 2 men, not who they play for. Zanetti is a warrior, Balotelli a jumped up prima donna.

Groan. FTW ed.

Pedantry is not dead my friend.

Pedantry is not dead my friend.

{pedantry}I didn't say they weren't in their 40's.{/pedantry} Just that the way you put it could be mis-leading; IMO if someone said 'into their 40's' I would think 42, 43, 44, 45.

Moving on, the facility 'could' be doing some good - but it's difficult to measure. I really don't think any of us could say otherwise. I hoped to elaborate a little like you suggested, but as I said, I don't think you can be conclusive one way or the other. Some individuals play longer than others, but that isn't unusal nowadays, and could be down to the players themselves rather than outside influences.

Everyone can form their own opinion on what is happening there. Mine is it's a white elephant.

I'll bail out there. L8r mate.

{pedantry}I didn't say they weren't in their 40's.{/pedantry} Just that the way you put it could be mis-leading; IMO if someone said 'into their 40's' I would think 42, 43, 44, 45.

Moving on, the facility 'could' be doing some good - but it's difficult to measure. I really don't think any of us could say otherwise. I hoped to elaborate a little like you suggested, but as I said, I don't think you can be conclusive one way or the other. Some individuals play longer than others, but that isn't unusal nowadays, and could be down to the players themselves rather than outside influences.

Everyone can form their own opinion on what is happening there. Mine is it's a white elephant.

I'll bail out there. L8r mate.

I wasn't arguing one way or the other to be honest.

I think the problem is for those of us on the outside is that because they won't reveal their secrets we don't know if the 'success' is because of the Lab or as you say (and as I said about Zanetti) down to the players.

Cant you pretty much replicate the Milan Lab's work by creating custom training schedules? Im sure SFrazer's schedules have different ones for different ages of player. The schedule for older players concentrates on physical attributes to try and keep them at a decent level. Maybe SI could include a specific schedule just for Milan which they know will produce realistic results.

Cant you pretty much replicate the Milan Lab's work by creating custom training schedules? Im sure SFrazer's schedules have different ones for different ages of player. The schedule for older players concentrates on physical attributes to try and keep them at a decent level. Maybe SI could include a specific schedule just for Milan which they know will produce realistic results.

I spilt my training schedules into 3 catagories based on age; '17-23', '24-29' and '30+'.

The theory in short is '17-23' is very technically based as players are in the developmental stage

'24-29' is about maintaining the technical stats while developing more on the physical side

'30+' is very light technical stuff but high physically to maintain physical attributes as best possible.

I find this works as well as can be allowed to in the code of the game. The 30+ does help maintain physical stats but you have to remember that the game is coded so that players in their 30's will gradually reduce their attributes no matter what training schedule you have.

To say that a club has a 'laboratory' listed in their facillities that allows players to stay in tip top shape into thier late 30's or early 40's is unrealistic.

Archived