10 yr old step son help

He wants to start and play FM , He has dabbled on the PSP version but he is really into his ground photos and I think that is his main reason for wanting to play, What would you suggest I do?

Throw him in at the deep end and set him a game up on FM2010 or would he be better with an earlier version and download an upto date db for this season (he would want one with the ground pics on though!)

Any help appreciated!!

I think you would have to find a really old version, if you are worried about user friendliness and simplicity for such a young guy. Iterface have become better with FM10, and especially the Roles screen will help him alot.

He doesn't even have to worry about training, and can have success and a fun game by leaving them all on General regime.

I'd say, start him up with FM10, and then help him out until he is at home with the User interface and general game mechanics.

10 is a great age to start! I started playing FM around there sometime.

I think FM10/11 would be fine, although he'd probably need to be shown what did what for a bit first.

If that isn't possible, try CM01/02 which you can get for free. It's dead simple to understand, and you can get through seasons quickly too, which might suit a 10 yo's mind a bit better.

My 8 year old manages FM10 with little or no problem.

I sat with him for the first few sessions and guided him through some of the basics:

• Creating a new game;
    Using the tactic creator (much easier for a child than the old slider system);
    Playing a match and making subs etc; and, of course,
    How to transfer players and staff.

Told him to leave training alone for the time being and configured the options so that he doesn't have to worry about team talks and press conferences or the youth/reserve sides and he's absolutely loving it. Give him a couple of years and we'll be playing against each other in network games :p

Seriously mate

its hardly throwing him in the deep end

i started playing at that age, and downloaded and bought it and set it up myself

i think your being a little over dramatic here

just set up a game for him jeez

lovely comment the one above. The guy has concerns, don't just throw them back in his face.

Hey OP, FM10 has the best interface but it can be quite complex. It either a choice in my opinion of FM10 or you could see if you can get hold of FM07. That was pretty good and quite basic. You can just be a bit helpful but dont get too attached :p My youngest brother dabbed in FM and CM when he was about 10 and he had a very short time with it. (played a few games in a season and then start again) What does your son think?

It was CM94 biased towards Cambridge from memory. CM93 was the one with Chris Bart-Williams as a goal machine and Sol Campbell was a 16 year old striker! What a game, nearly failed my A-Levels but fortunately my Amiga broke around February that year.

It was CM94 biased towards Cambridge from memory. CM93 was the one with Chris Bart-Williams as a goal machine and Sol Campbell was a 16 year old striker! What a game, nearly failed my A-Levels but fortunately my Amiga broke around February that year.

I was only 4 in 1994, but as a Cambridge fan this sounds intriguing! What was it in the game that was biased towards them? Sounds like we could do with that in RL...

10 is a great age to start! I started playing FM around there sometime.

I think FM10/11 would be fine, although he'd probably need to be shown what did what for a bit first.

If that isn't possible, try CM01/02 which you can get for free. It's dead simple to understand, and you can get through seasons quickly too, which might suit a 10 yo's mind a bit better.

Where can you get CM01/02 for free

He wants to start and play FM , He has dabbled on the PSP version but he is really into his ground photos and I think that is his main reason for wanting to play, What would you suggest I do?

Throw him in at the deep end and set him a game up on FM2010 or would he be better with an earlier version and download an upto date db for this season (he would want one with the ground pics on though!)

Any help appreciated!!

I'd throw him in at the deep end. He'll probably pick it up really quickly. Kids are normally pretty good with technology compaired to us adults ;) There's a more comprehensive online manual available if he gets stuck because the one that comes with the game isn't real all that in-depth. He can get a data update at the editors hideaway so he has all the latest transfers and graphics can be obtained at the graphics and skinning forum.

Remember to install the 10.3 patch if you havent already done so.

Any help appreciated!!

I managed to play FM at 10 so he should be fine. Give him a little help at first and he'll soon get into it and be as addicted as the rest of us.

I started playing around that age aswell, think I was 9 when cm3 came out. If your getting an older one, 01/02 was and still is the best I think

I'm sorry but CM99 was the best CM of all time :)

Avaliable for around a fiver, and has all the ground graphics!

Any help appreciated!!

I'd say let him have a go at FM 10. If he is having any trouble, you'll be right there to help him :)

Besides, the tactics creator is much simpler than using the old sliders plus I'm sure he would much prefer to watch his matches in 3D :cool:

I hope he does well from the get go :thup:

Just make sure he doesn't start scoring excessive amounts of goals from corners :rolleyes:

I was only 4 in 1994, but as a Cambridge fan this sounds intriguing! What was it in the game that was biased towards them? Sounds like we could do with that in RL...

Cambridge had two fictional players on their books, Mark Collis and Ferrah Orosco IIRC who were beasts! I think they were researchers or something, they definitely had some involvement in the game. Add that to Dion Dublin who was already at the club and then add Nii Lamptey and you could beat near enough anybody!

Classic memories from my childhood :D :D

Archived