Young player developmental choices.

I don't know if this was explained somewhere else, but here's my question.

In the development of young players in FM10 (and 11, presumably), what are the things that affect the players the most?

So let's say there is a 15 year old newgen in Flamengo. He has a 180 PA, 84 CA. What are the things that affect the increase of his CA and how are they weighted? How important are the player's own skills, like determination, work rate, etc, how important are the club's youth facilities and do the adult training facilities play any effect on the 15 years old? What effect does sitting on the bench have, if the main team doesn't have a reserve or youth league? If he plays in matches, is there a difference if he plays 90 minutes, 45, or 5? Is there a difference if he plays in the youth league in Brazil or England (reputation-wise)? Does he gain more if he starts for the main club? Is there a difference if he starts for a team in a strong or a weak league? How big of an effect do the youth coaches have on the development of youth players, how big of an effect does the training regimen? Does calling up young players and playing them against overmatching competition, causing poor performances from the young players, make an impact on their development, and is that impact negative or positive?

So, back to this newgen, let's say I play as Chelsea, I scout the kid and see that he has high potential. I decide to buy him, and of course he can't transfer until he's 18, so he stays in Flamengo, developing to the best of his ability, but perhaps limited by their facilities/league/etc. I can "cheat" using fmrte and speed up the transfer of the player, is that the best course for the player? Now, my facilities are obviously better, so are my coaches, but he might not receive any big club football for at least 5-6 years, and he would face greater competition in the youth and reserve teams. What is the best way to handle the development of this player?

Nothing develops players faster from what I've seen than first team football. Any additional "benefits" you can provide a player through tutoring, better coaches, better facilities, stronger reserve/youth leagues will all work to improve them as well. Unfortunately I don't have anything proving this - it's just what I've noticed in my saves. Hope it helps...

• 1 month later...

Send them out to gain first team experience ... this increases the CA more than being stuck in the reserves. When he comes back you can start working on redistribution his stats if needed. You will want him to be as close to his PA once his development stops around the 24 year mark.

Send them out to gain first team experience ... this increases the CA more than being stuck in the reserves. When he comes back you can start working on redistribution his stats if needed. You will want him to be as close to his PA once his development stops around the 24 year mark.

Thanks does his c/a increase more the higher standard he would play out on loan? i.e would his c/a increase quicker at a championship club more than at a league 1 club?

Thanks does his c/a increase more the higher standard he would play out on loan? i.e would his c/a increase quicker at a championship club more than at a league 1 club?

Short answer: yes :)

What you want is for him to play often and get good ratings, in a league with as high a reputation as possible. So if you can get him to play for a good CCC team, and play often that would be best. But if he is loaned out to a CCC side who only uses him sparringly, he might be better off getting many full games in a L1 club.

Short answer: yes :)

What you want is for him to play often and get good ratings, in a league with as high a reputation as possible. So if you can get him to play for a good CCC team, and play often that would be best. But if he is loaned out to a CCC side who only uses him sparringly, he might be better off getting many full games in a L1 club.

Makes sense many thanks

As said, the number one priority is first team experience. This increases CA more than anything else.

Training facilities and coaches help the distribution of CA to the right areas for his position.

Tutoring is key to develop the personality (hidden) attributes plus determination.

Two attributes affected by tutoring are determination and professionalism, which in turn affect how well the player trains.

As the young player ages he naturally raises his CA, but not by as much if he isn't playing.

The higher the level of match, the more the CA increases. If he plays in your first team, that's the optimal experience. Reserve and youth team games have far less effect, thus it is better to loan him out.

If you loan him, again the higher rep the league the better, but you must ensure he does play and not rot in the reserves. If he drops down more than 2 levels, the level of his matches will not be greater than your reserves, so it's a bit pointless.

It's also the case that he develops more if his morale is good; therefore if he's over his head and getting bad ratings, or his loan team are losing all their matches, his development will be stunted.

My general pattern is like this - age up to 17 - keep at home and tutor twice per year.

17-18 Six months on loan, 6 months at home being tutored and making occasional first team appearances.

However, it is a very complex and delicate issue. If you try to bring through too many youth at one time to develop them, you get the problem Ancellotti seems to have made. You naturally want to loan your youngsters to the best sides, but will they play them? Poorer sides might guarantee first team football, but if they struggle the player won't be happy.

Ah, the art of football management!

Archived