Free transfer dilemma

I'm in 2015 in my Arsenal save at the moment, and just snapped up Igor Akinfeev on a free. It looks like his contract expired and weirdly no-one picked him up, so I've got myself a bargain :cool:

I didn't post to brag, though... my problem is that I signed him in March, just before the free transfer deadline. It's too late to register him for either the Prem or Champion's League, so I figured that loaning him out for the rest of the season would be better than rotting in the reserves. But, even if I offer to pay full wages, no-one wants to loan him. Surely someone out there would be willing to take a world class goalkeeper for a couple of months? Maybe it's because he's not going to be registered wherever he plays this late in the season?

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

It's probably because he wouldn't agree to sign a loan move to any lesser clubs anyway I think. The AI doesn't seem to try when they know it's not really possible.

It's probably this. But given that he won't get a competitive match until the next season, it seems odd that he wouldn't be interested in a temporary move.

yes but having just signed for the club he probably wouldnt want to leave, he may just want to stay and 'gel' with the team.

This. AKAIK SI implemented something that stopped players from moving within 6 months of their last transfer.

i also signed him on a free in 2015 and had no competition for him what so ever. its strange as you would expect a bit of a queue for his services

I think the main issue is that he plays in Russia so his contract expires around November which doesn't fit in with other leagues transfer windows. By then teams have organised their squads in July/August and have the keepers they want under contract.

Personally I had the option to sign him on a free around 2014/5 but didn't have the need for him having just signed Ochoa on a bosman a few months earlier + already had a good backup and a talented younger GK. In the end he signed for Sampdoria in my save.

Archived