FM2011 Career game

After much thought and chopping and changing my mind. I have decided I am going to start off managing Hearts in FM2011. I have normally managed the club I support Hull in every over vesion of the game but as I have taken them to un-precedented glory in FM2010 I feel I needed a change.

I picked Hearts because I wanted a challenge while still been able to pick up high profile players and building up my reputation quickly in the game. Since the year 2000 Hearts have been 3rd placed in the Scottish Premiership 4 times, and runner up once. I believe I will have a very good chance of splitting up the old firm dominace in Scotland quickly with Hearts as they have tended to be the most successful team in the league after the two old firm teams

When the game is started in FM2010 Rangers have 0 in transfer funds and £12.25million in wages

Celtic have £2.5 million in transfer funds and £18.5 million in wages

Hearts have £100k in transfer funds and £3.2 million in wages

Obviously FM2011 may have different figures to the above, but I dont think it will be that far off as in FM2010. This will be a massive challenge.

I also want to get my career up and running quickly to give me a chance later on when I will move on to a low level English League club. My idea is if I have built up a good reputation and won some titles and trophies when I eventually manage a low level club hopefully top youngsters will want to come on loan to help me take a club up the league. I would also like to go back and manage Hull at some point in my future career in FM2011.

As I tend to chop and change my mind give me some encouragement not to

Bring it on!!!!

Bah. Anyone can manage at the top of the pyramid. :D

AFC Wimbledon are a good team to play; if you manage to keep them going up the ladder, you're doing exactly what they are expecting in real life. So you have a decent stadium already in place, plenty of money to play with, and the joy of constantly re-imaging the team by bringing in new players. They've gotten too high to do an LLM with them, but you could manage them according to LLM principles and enjoy it tremendously.

Having said that, I do think I might try a Scottish side this time when the new game comes out. Unless you are managing one of the two Old Firm sides, it is a bit of a slog to excel. :)

I'm planning four different saves and I'll rotate which I'll be playing. I've done it this year and have found it keeps each save fresh.

The first one is with my favorite team: Ajax. I'll try to bring them back to champions league glory. Its a do able challenge, I've done it on each version and have found it takes 5-6 seasons. I am interested how the dynamic league reputation will make it different this time.

the second is a big team/big league save. I'm not sure yet but I think I'll go with either Man U, Arsenal or Barcelona. In this kind of save I like to micromanage while in other saves I tend to skip those details.

The third is a journeyman career type. I'll start with Sparta Rotterdam, a 2nd tier club in Holland I like to bring back to the topflight.

Finnaly the fourth will be a real LLM game where I'll follow the LLM rules. I'll probably start in England

I will be doing the same journey man game I did on FM10, start unemployed and aim to win every continental trophy at club level possible. It's great fun to move around the continents and experience different leagues from the usual Spain and England that take up most of my saves.

Oh, managing Hearts is an interesting choice. I wonder if their real life situation (massively interfering owner, random players being forced upon them, constant sackings) will be replicated in this year's version of FM.

In my eyes I hope this is reflected as it makes it interesting and realistic. I ave never managed a team in FM with an interfering owner as the clubs I have taken on the chairmen have let me get on with the job. Mind you if he does interfere too much it will be a great excuse for when I decide to leave on my journeyman career

I can only ever start out at amateur or semi professional teams in some barren league in a country not known for football dominance, if I start a career game. I tend to load a hell of a lot of leagues and countries!

I'm also a Hull fan - but I can never find myself managing them anymore. They're just too high up the divisions for it to have a lasting appeal to me. I prefer to move about the world on my save.

Very much recommended!

I love the Scottish Leagues. I've spent 15 years at Kilmarnock and the Old Firm have pretty much been dissolved by 2047. Celtic are still a danger, but Rangers are pretty dire. Aberdeen are more likely to pose a thread nowadays.

Archived