Transfer advice

Playing in L1 and have a couple of players that are valued at £250k + but are unlikely to be of any use if I am promoted this year which looks likely. The problem is that I am just approaching the Jan window and they only have 6 months on their contracts making them available on a bosman. Which would be best:

Do I renew their contracts, each probably about £3-4k per week, just so that I can sell them and get the c£500k. The risk being that nobody buys them or they refuse transfers because they are on a cosy contract now and I end up coughing up wages for players I may not want.

Don't renew contracts and put them up for sale hoping that somebody wants them now for a price rather than waiting for their contracts to expire in the summer when they will get them for free. Is it possible they will do deals with other clubs for contracts in the summer and I will be paying their existing contract for the next 6 months when they will go for nothing.

Any other options anyone can offer, or experience on the above situation would be appreciated

It really depends on how confident you are that other teams will want that player.

For the players you aren't so confident about selling I try and sell them now and if no goes for them just let there contract run down and expire.

For those who you think you could sell I'd renew there contract, try and loan them out, and then sell them at the end of the season.

i would sell them straight away and bring in a few loan replacements till the end of the season, that way you will probably improve your squad and make money for your club.

I have enough strength in depth to cover for them but it's more of an issue about whether i renew their contacts before putting them up for transfer

If you're confident you've got enough cover to get through the rest of season without them, I'd give them the new contracts, which usually increases their value, and once signed new contract, transfer list and out of there. Consider the signing on fee you have to give them to sign and weigh up increase in value from being on a longer term contract.

Not a good way to treat people...but hey, it's a cruel and brutal world out there!! :D

I found that players might well be valued at £250k, but if they are not playing in your 1st team regularly, their true value may be a lot less. I have been trying to offload players of this value before, and ended up virtually giving them away because no clubs are interested in buying them.

I found that players might well be valued at £250k, but if they are not playing in your 1st team regularly, their true value may be a lot less. I have been trying to offload players of this value before, and ended up virtually giving them away because no clubs are interested in buying them.

Hopefully shouldn't be a problem as 1 is a regular first teamer and the other is club captain and played about half the games this season

if you contract them they may not want to leave to a smaller club having signed a new deal, therefore your stuck with them, id not renew and try to sell up.. that is if you dont need them for the rest of your league one season. Also you wont earn that much money from them, try get some good frees before promotion :)

Archived