Utter Bulldust

I know everyone has their "woe is me" tale about FM cheating its ass off. Here's mine:

I was playing as Fisher against Tranmere. Up 3-0 at half time. Tranmere then score in the 55th minute, no problem, it happens. THEY THEN RECEIVE PENALTIES IN THE 64th, 82nd and 84th minutes. I lose 4-3.

If that isn't cheating I don't know what is. I've got a screenshot, I don't know how to put it up though.

Do I not like that!

I know everyone has their "woe is me" tale about FM cheating its ass off. Here's mine:

I was playing as Fisher against Tranmere. Up 3-0 at half time. Tranmere then score in the 55th minute, no problem, it happens. THEY THEN RECEIVE PENALTIES IN THE 64th, 82nd and 84th minutes. I lose 4-3.

If that isn't cheating I don't know what is. I've got a screenshot, I don't know how to put it up though.

Do I not like that!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

I think one of your players probably committed a foul inside the penalty area on three separate occasions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif

just very unlucky im afraid.

flipped around for me, unluck AI, i won a game 3-1, the opposition the opposition scored 2 own goals, and missed a penalty(the same guy that missed the penalty also scored an own goal, he was a sub just to rub it in even more.) at work so no screenie, if the thread still alive when i get hoe ill post it up.

Lol, I didn't mean specifically one player :p

Look - there's about 1 million people playing FM every day. Probably play about 10 games a day on average. Thats a hell of a lot of games. I think it's fairly reasonable to get the odd "unusual" match, even once a day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SWaRFeGa:

Lol, I didn't mean specifically one player :p

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I am angry and emotional and have lost all sense of perspective. icon_wink.gif I had a dig at the referee and got fined too!

Referees that do things like that to me and those that give out yellow cards like confetti wake up the next day with a nice nickname featuring my chosen insult that day. Next time I get that referee I can't start the whine before the game has even begun icon_biggrin.gif

It's not the game cheating. 3 penalties is unlucky, but that kind of result comes more from the ludicrous invention that is half time team talks when you are winning 2-0 or better. Doesn't seem to matter what I say in those situations, most of the time my team play like a bunch of imbeciles in the second half. Usually they manage to hold on for the win or at least a draw (whereas I want them to keep playing attacking and score more), but sometimes they go to pieces completely and lose.

I'm feeling lazy, so here's a cut and paste from the othe conspiracy theorist today...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> everyone has their "woe is me" tale about FM cheating its ass off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right. And Elvis is still alive, 9/11 was orchestrated by the Illuminati, and Princess Di was murdered by MI6 on the orders of the Duke of Edinburgh.

I thought this ridiculous thinking had died out. It's a PROGRAMMING CODE and as such has no motivation to "cheat". If FM08 has somehow gained sentience and is eager to beat its human overlords, my hat off to SI who have achieved what the brainiest boffins in the world have failed to do and create a self-aware enitity within microchips and pretty wires.

If you're dominating games but not scoring, your tactics are being countered by an organised AI team, and you need to tweak them a little to break them down. Simple as.

And before anyone mentions 4-2-4, I have conceded only TWICE in the last three seasons to this formation - once by Arsenal and once at Wigan, the latter only because I underestimated them and decided NOT to revert to my "shut up shop" tactic that prevents teams from scoring against in the last ten minutes.

Hope this helps.

In real life the last time my team , Sunderland, were in the Prem we were beaten 3-1 by Charlton. In that game we scored 3 own goals in about 7 first half minutes. Two of these were scored by the same player, Michael Proctor.

The AI was clearly cheating on that day icon_wink.gif

I had a similar performance with Monterrey in FM. My players (we were ~10th) clearly decided an away trip to the league leaders wasn't enough of a challenge. One of our centre-backs put through his own net to send us in a goal down at half time, but credit to him cos he scored at the right end early in the second half. But then our DMC stepped onto the stage and skillfully put the ball in his own net twice in the space of 3 minutes...that's the kind of genius I love in my team, a holding midfielder with an eye for goal. It'll probably take him a few seasons for his tally of goals to outnumber his tally of own goals!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I thought this ridiculous thinking had died out. It's a PROGRAMMING CODE and as such has no motivation to "cheat". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are reading a bit too much into it. The definition of cheating in regards to computer games is that the AI does not seem to be governed by the same laws as the human player. This is definitely the case in many, many games; CIV 2, Age of Empires etc, etc.

I love the idea of giving the ref a nickname, I'll do that so I can pour the scorn on early!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The definition of cheating in regards to computer games is that the AI does not seem to be governed by the same laws as the human player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all. *I* understand this, but I'm not sure many of our younger/immature players here do.

Besides, the match engine is the same for the AI and the human player. There's nothing the AI can do that the human player can't - next time you're 1-0 down with 10 mins regular time, try going 3-2-5 long passing, all out attack, close down everywhere, hard tackling. I score nearly every time whether I'm losing or drawing.

The it's the same with the transfer system. Although it's clearly unrealistic and frustrating at times, the same rules govern the AI as the human.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I love the idea of giving the ref a nickname, I'll do that so I can pour the scorn on early! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I didn't realise you could do that. I've given players and managers that I hate IRL some less than flattering nicknames, but never a ref. Roll on the next disallowed goal... icon_biggrin.gif

I just got a 4-4 draw with the opposition getting a goal from offside in the 64th minute and a non-existent penalty IN THE 93RD MINUTE.

And it's the first time since the function was introduced that I complained about the penalty, and the officials kept silent about my griping!

I AM AVENGED. icon_razz.gif

Aye, the FA kept silent when I whinged about Zlatan Ibrahimovic's 94th minute offside equaliser at Fiorentina earlier this season. We were sooo close to ending Inter's ~42 game unbeaten run in the league, stretching back ironically to when we beat them on the final day 2 seasons ago!

The AI does not cheat. The ME does not know which manager is the AI and which is the human. AI managers don't know, in the transfer market, which team is the AI and which is the human. Fact.

Sounds daft but 3-0 up at half time is probably the worst position to be in. There's no chance any tactics will prevent at least 3 goals back so you have to pretty much hammer for the further attack and hope you score more than they do.

I hardly ever win any after being 3-0 up but had a few nailbiters that ended about 7-6/6-4 etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Burscoughnian:

Sounds daft but 3-0 up at half time is probably the worst position to be in. There's no chance any tactics will prevent at least 3 goals back so you have to pretty much hammer for the further attack and hope you score more than they do.

I hardly ever win any after being 3-0 up but had a few nailbiters that ended about 7-6/6-4 etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but that's about the daftest comment on this thread. If you can't defend a 3-0 lead at half time, what exactly are you doing wrong?

I tell players on 6 I'm disappointed, 7 don't let performance drop, 8 I have faith, and 9 I'm thrilled. Pretty basic team talk stuff.

I also tweak the tactic a little - usually as little as I highlighted in my above post - and I usually put at least another one past them. Admittedly I often concede the odd one in the second half, but that's football.

In other words (and without irony):

It's.

Your.

Tactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCIAG:

The AI does not cheat. The ME does not know which manager is the AI and which is the human. AI managers don't know, in the transfer market, which team is the AI and which is the human. Fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thank god you've cleared that up by ending your post with "Fact". Now there's an argument ender for you.

The ref was Martin Atkinson, whose name willb be changed to Martin "3 Penalties" Atkinson so that I can see him coming.

I feel like Lucas Neill after that outrageous penalty in WC06 against Italy.

Archived