I think the game has a bit of a problem with managers and reputation.

In my game, it's 2036. I'm England Boss(after hugely sucessful spells at Liverpool(2021-29) and Spurs(2031-35) and a first Stint as England Boss (2022-2028), plus one abject failure at Brazil(2030)), and have been looking at getting back into Club management, and am kinda hoping the Liverpool job would be available at some point. But I don't think due to the game being the way it is, the manager(a regen) will ever get sacked. I won the league 8 season in a row(Tycoon owner helped), and the two seasons after I left, he carried this on this for a couple more seasons, and has also won other things intermittently. However, since I started my first full season as Spurs boss, Liverpool haven't won the league under him, finishing 2,2,3,4,2 respectively, with 1 CL win, 1 FA Cup win a Super Cup win and a league cup win in that.

If I was an owner who had seen my club have massive success for 8 seasons, plus most other competition most years, I'm certain that I'd not be happy with the failure to win the league in 5 seasons, even though he's been in the CL places every time(For the record, each year he's been the following points away from 1st: 1,12,13,1913). He's regarded on the Job's screen as being 1 of two Very Secure managers(The other being the man who inherited my Spurs team and has won two league titles since, and interestingly the guy who I replaced as Liverpool manager at the start of my career).

I think the reputation increase the manager gained from 2-3 very good seasons, has meant that he's almost untouchable, when in real life, he'd probably be out of a job by now, or at the least, told he's got to win the league this season or he's out.

It's not just this which is the only occurence. When I took over as Liverpool boss, two of my opposite numbers were Zola and Moyes, still at their original clubs. Moyes had done fairly well, his team being between 2-7 most seasons, especially towards the end of his career, but there was a period of 4 seasons where they were 10-12-11-14, which even though Everton's board are a patient bunch, I can't believe he'd still be in a job after that time. He eventually left in 2026.

Zola stayed at West Ham till 2029 when he retired, even though he'd not really done much in the last 10 years of his career. Was great in the 2010's, winning the league once, the CL once, (runner up 3 times) and the FA cup once in that time plus some minor ones, but did little in the 2020's. He got them into europe most seasons in this career, usually CL, but never really pushed on, and I find it unlikely looking at his success in the mid 2010's, the West Ham board would accept his relative lack of success in the 2020's for so long.

Am I alone in thinking that it's a bit easy for some managers to stay in a job after a bit of success by following it up with (relative)mediocrity? Or am I justified in thinking so?

(Just at bit of info, West Ham are now managed by Stevie G, formerly manager of Birmingham and Man City, very good boss he is too).

Wenger at Arsenal, between 98 at 05, finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd. In the five years since they've finished 3rd and 4th each year, without winning any other trophies, but would it be so surprising if they stick with him for another year/2/5?

The thing is, on the game there was never any suggestion that Zola and Moyes were under pressure at all, nor has my regen manager been. A lot of people are on Wengers back and are critical of him. I'd honestly describe Wenger as an under pressure manager.

Wenger at Arsenal, between 98 at 05, finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd. In the five years since they've finished 3rd and 4th each year, without winning any other trophies, but would it be so surprising if they stick with him for another year/2/5?

This :thup:

Archived