Favourite Tactics Creator Formations - FM10

Which are your favourite Tactics Creator formations on FM10?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Which are your favourite Tactics Creator formations on FM10?

• 4-4-2 (flat)
    • 4-4-1-1
    • 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 (Mourinho style '4-3-3' or 4-1-4-1 with MR&ML)
    • 4-2-3-1 Deep or Asymmetric
    • 4-4-2 diamond variations (4-1-2-1-2/4-1-3-2/4-3-1-2/4-4-2 diamond)
    • Three at the back formations (3-2-3-2/3-3-2-2/3-5-2/3-4-3/3-4-3 diamond/3-6-1)
    • Five at the back (5-3-2/5-4-1)
    • 4-3-2-1
    • 4-6-0
    • Narrow Formations (4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 [three STs version] or 4-2-2-2)

I know a favourite formation thread has been done before but the old ones are the best ones and this one has a bit of a twist. This poll will just be looking at the tactics creator formations. I'm also going to allow multiple voting so that you can vote for all of your favourite formations to use in FM10 rather than just picking one.

As for the options, the poll is restricted to 10 options, so I have had to be creative with the categories. Every tactics creator formation should be represented in one of the options though. If you pick an option with a family of formations (which is most of them!) then please feel free to state in the thread which option you were going for.

I'll also be running this same poll on the tactics forum for those that don't particularly visit GD. I'm interested to see what the results will be.

So, which are your favourite tactics creator formations?

I'm a bit of a tactical purist, so I tend to only play formations that I think work pretty much as teams play it in real life.

Formations I have played and enjoyed with my teams include: 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1 deep, 4-5-1/4-3-3 ('Mourinho style'), 4-3-2-1 (but I use a proper narrow version and not the tactics creator version), 4-1-3-2 and 4-3-1-2. Those are like my foundation formations really and I don't tend to move away from them.

I've tried every formation in the game pretty much while experimenting. Most disappointed with three at the back formations and the way they set up and play out in the match engine. There are also quite a few of the tactics creator defaults that I personally find unrealistic, so I stay away from them.

As for my favourites, well, I voted for 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1 deep and 4-3-1-2. I've had really good spells with each of these and enjoyed the sort of football they produce.

I am pretty sure that nobody else plays the following formation - it requires pretty special players to play it. No team in the starting database would be able to pull it off.

.......CF.......CF.......

AML.....AM.......AMR

.......CM......CM.......

.......DC......DC........

..........SWP...........

...........GK............

Really? I'm surprised at that. Maybe if you came up against the Wimbledon of old (punting the ball over the top, clearing your whole midfield) you might leak a few more goals! ;) How does it manage to average just 12 goals against in 38 games?

I don't want to go too much off topic - but I'm in the year 2030 - and so I have a squad of world beaters - so thats why really. And the competition in La Liga is not great as the AI managers are not up too much. The save has got a bit silly now - but it was fun while it lasted!!!

.........CF...............

AML.........AM........

........CM.............MR

DL...........DM.........

.......DC...........DR.. I Have come very close to getting this working. The AMC just doesn't seem to perform as he should.

..............DC.......... I think a lot of teams play like this IRL maybe i need to revert to 4-4-2 and adjust the mentalitys like they do

...........GK.............

I much prefer playing a 4-1-2-2-1, i.e. what's displayed below to the left, over anything else, but I usually end up going for narrow formations like the 4-1-2-1-2 (below to the right) because of how much more effective they've proven for me.

.........ST......... | ......ST....ST......

.................... | ....................

AML..............AMR | ........A MC........

......MC....MC...... | ......MC....MC......

........D MC........ | ........D MC........

DL....DC....DC....DR | DL....DC....DC....DR

.........GK......... | .........GK.........

Hoping to have better success with my favored formation in FM 2011. :)

What would we call this formation?

ST - ST

AML-----------AMR

MC - MC

DL - DC - DC - DR

Simply 4-4-2. More detailed 4-4-2 with AMR & AML. My favourite formation and the one I always use. :thup: Don't know why the game reads it as 4-2-4 and why Crouchy didn't put it in the poll. :(

started with 4-4-2, then I implemented 4-4-1-1 (which was killer), tried 4-1-3-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-3-2-1, 3-4-3, 3-4-2-1, and after 2020 designed an asymmetric (GK-DR-CB-CB-DL-DM-MR-MC-AML-AMC-ST) and now in 2038 I play a 3-2-3-2 (CB-CB-CB-MC-MC-AMR-AMC-AML-ST-ST)

Like to go for realism.

Usual favourites.

4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2.

It varies though, on what team I am, what players I have, what players I have available at the time, who I'm playing against. All things took into consideration.

At lower levels, I find myself always playing with 2 strikers, more direct football, old school, one taller striker, one quicker striker. However as I move up the divisions and quality of teams, I like to play more football and usually play a 3 man midfield of some sort. Or a deep lying striker if I do play 2 upfront.

For quite a while I used the same formation I was using in FML, a tactic that was forced on me by FML not spawning me any Sammarinese centre-backs: GK; DR, DL; DM, DM; AMR, AML, AMC; FC, FC, FC. I loved that formatiuon, no matter how prone it was to the quick counter attack...

I'm torn between these two, which I've had massive success with.

-----------------ST----ST---------------- ---------------ST--------------

AML--------------------------------AMR -------AMC-AMC-AMC-----

--------------CM---------CM------------- ---------------------------------

-------------------------------------------- -------------DM-DM----------

LB---------CB----------CB-----------RB -LB-------CB-----CB-------RB

--------------------GK------------------- --------------GK--------------

My favourite is 10 outfield players, and 1 keeper :D

Seriously though, I usually play 4-2-3-1 Deep or 4-1-2-1-2.

really? only 10? I would've thought you'd try play with at least 14 or 15 outfield players by now :rolleyes:

2 centre backs, 2 wing backs, 3 centre midfielders, 1 attacking midfielder and 2 strikers. Yes, it does work, and no, I don't concede too many as long as I have a decent team.

Um....I dont think anyone would ask you if it worked or not seeing how its a 4-3-1-2 just with the FBs moved up to WB position ;)

Archived