Question on determining player abilities

One of the more enjoyable aspects of FM is discovering a player who is far better than his attributes or even what the coaches say would predict. Just as in real life, though, it can be a challenge.

One question about "reading the tea leaves" - how much emphasis should you put on the interest of other managers from other teams in terms of how good a player may be? For example: I am managing a Championship League mid-table team. I have a left fullback who is valued at about $2 million. He's played well. However, I have another left fullback who is only valued at about $200,000. His attributes aren't as good as the other fullback, and my assistants tell me he isn't as good as the other left back.

However, I have a manager of another team tell the press that the lower valued left back amazes him with his talent, and that young fullbacks should look to him as an example. And I have about 6 teams expressing interest in this player.

Is he a hidden gem? Why the apparent disparity in what other managers are saying and how they are picking him out for such praise (he's been sitting on the bench!) and what my assistants are saying (one is rated 18/18 CA/FA)?

Thanks

i dont pay much attention to what rival managers say or dont say about my players or players i'm interested in signing.

I can go for players like Akinfeev or Ribery, both on a free transfer and not one other team is interested.

I've gone for other top class players where i instantly get a message telling me my offer has been leaked to the press and that interest in the player should intensify - only it doesn't, because i'm still the only team bidding for him.

One sure fire way I have of finding out if a young player in my team is any good is on how many teams, and what teams, put in loan offers when you try to loan them out.

I bought a regen centre back, 16 years old, from west ham for 3.5mill pounds.

when he turned 17 i loaned him out to fellow prem side west brom. he played 31 prem games.

next season i loaned him out to fellow prem side totenham where he played 35 prem games.

now he's a regular in my team and is a star player.

I have recently downloaded an app to check out CA and PA (although i dont use it to sign players) and checked out what the stats were for this centre back. at 18 years old his CA was 180 and his PA was 199

Archived