Audio commentary!!!!!

Goon14

I agree with others who have said it's not worth doing when they could use the time on improving other aspects of the game. Football game commentary gets on my nerves anyway. They just repeat the same things over and over again, and I don't really want that in FM.

I'm looking forward to when SI do some serious work on the match day experience. The sound desperately needs a revamp (chanting, cheering, booing, etc.). Audio commentary, done properly, would be awesome. I think it would take too much to do at the moment, but at some point they could do it justice.

Audio commentary would suck imo

I always play FM with music playing, so commentary would be a pointless addition imo

How would it deal with names, you'd need a massive file on names within the database?

And then what about regens?

Downloading this file via steam would take years let's face it).... one word is about 1.74MB (the FM audio sound)/duration

(about a minute) x 100000+ words = ~1GB (too lazy to do the math)

Good luck downloading a 4-5GB file from steam in a hurry

If so, then good luck dealing with the complaints from around the world that 'my internet is slowed to dial up speed becasue of this 5GB file.... last year it was 2GB (don't actually know) so why is there a massive difference?

Not a good idea IMHO.

As paperclips said, they cannot hire people to say gazillions of names, they probably will go with some computer generated sounds. Text-recognition-digital-speech-engine of sorts.

And they will end up with something like their regen face generator.

Someone in these forums described them quite accurately: "Bunch of bald and ugly 16 year old youngsters wearing lipsticks" :D

They already did this.

In fact, they did this in something like the third ever CM game.

Everyone hated it; it didn't work.

Case closed.

Hardly case closed, kid, considering they did it with much poorer technology. If having commentary on football games wasn't any good, I think it would have been done away with now. The problem is not with having commentary, but with doing it well. In the years to come, the technology will be there to give this a good shot.

Hardly case closed, kid, considering they did it with much poorer technology. If having commentary on football games wasn't any good, I think it would have been done away with now. The problem is not with having commentary, but with doing it well. In the years to come, the technology will be there to give this a good shot.

There isn't the mythical technology now nor will there be in another 15 years, boy.

You can't present an argument by shoehorning the word 'technology' into everything, kid.

There isn't the mythical technology now nor will there be in another 15 years, boy.

You can't present an argument by shoehorning the word 'technology' into everything, kid.

When CM2 was out it'd take 15-30 minutes for me to download 3 MB. Now I can download that in literally 2-3 seconds. As our computers and Internet connections are able to cope with more capacity, we can embrace things like a huge amount of audio files. If there were only hundreds of audio clips it would get boring quickly. If there were thousands, or hundreds of thousands, then something very cool could be created, imo.

You haven't actually presented a reason WHY it won't work, other than it didn't when CM was very simple, many moons ago. Technology has come on in leaps and bounds, and I've provided an example of that above.

It would probably take years of work to get right, thousands of man hours to record nearly enough names. Think of FIFA and only in FIFA10 do I think the commentary is getting to the standard requirement (it's still dodgy at best though) so it isn't horribly boring.

When I play FM, I usually have music on or the TV. That's not because the sounds is crap but because I probably spend more time in menus than I do watching a match. I'm not sure it would be worth all the time and money needed.

When CM2 was out it'd take 15-30 minutes for me to download 3 MB. Now I can download that in literally 2-3 seconds. As our computers and Internet connections are able to cope with more capacity, we can embrace things like a huge amount of audio files. If there were only hundreds of audio clips it would get boring quickly. If there were thousands, or hundreds of thousands, then something very cool could be created, imo.

You haven't actually presented a reason WHY it won't work, other than it didn't when CM was very simple, many moons ago. Technology has come on in leaps and bounds, and I've provided an example of that above.

Not everybody lives in a developed nation and has access to the high speed 10 MBPS internet connection. USA and England don't make the whole earth. Period. In my country an 1MBPS connection costs an eye, leave 2+ MBPS connection.

A simple reason why it wont work, Wonky, is that producing these hundres of thousands of clips you are mentioning, would take hours, days, weeks and months to even get a little way through. Someones got to write the clips, someones got to read them, more times than once till its right, someones got to programme them in and then the end consumer, most of whom appear to, based on the small minority that have posted on here, will only mute it anyway and all that will have gone to waste.

It didnt work way back when, and I cant see it working now, especially when there are so many other better things they can be developing, new additions rather than what I would call a pointless addition. It's all someones opinion, but I just cant see the man hours and effort that needs to be put in to this worthwhile when most users want new features that enhance the managerial experience, not commentary that will get annoying and muted quickly.

A simple reason why it wont work, Wonky, is that producing these hundres of thousands of clips you are mentioning, would take hours, days, weeks and months to even get a little way through. Someones got to write the clips, someones got to read them, more times than once till its right, someones got to programme them in and then the end consumer, most of whom appear to, based on the small minority that have posted on here, will only mute it anyway and all that will have gone to waste.

It didnt work way back when, and I cant see it working now, especially when there are so many other better things they can be developing, new additions rather than what I would call a pointless addition. It's all someones opinion, but I just cant see the man hours and effort that needs to be put in to this worthwhile when most users want new features that enhance the managerial experience, not commentary that will get annoying and muted quickly.

I can't see it working now either. Read my post above, please.

Not everybody lives in a developed nation and has access to the high speed 10 MBPS internet connection. USA and England don't make the whole earth. Period. In my country an 1MBPS connection costs an eye, leave 2+ MBPS connection.

Yes, that's pretty obvious. As I said above, it's something that is not worth doing at the moment. I'm well aware of what the Internet connections are like in other countries. Your comment about USA and England not making the whole Earth is quite funny (it's Americans that think the World revolves around them, and Brits assume that everyone else should learn English). Don't assume that because my location says England it means that I've lived here my whole life; I haven't.

Add the "Fair Usage Policy", its even worse.

So now the mythical 'technology' has been specified as 'download speeds' or 'broadband'.

What this has to do with audio commentary in Football Manager is anyone's guess.

I have presented a reason why it won't work: It didn't work.

Then the case was closed. >_>

So now the mythical 'technology' has been specified as 'download speeds' or 'broadband'.

What this has to do with audio commentary in Football Manager is anyone's guess.

I have presented a reason why it won't work: It didn't work.

Then the case was closed. >_>

Um, you're not following. I gave an example of how technology has progressed. Another way is how I can have 32 GB on a little USB stick now, whereas back when CM2 was around, the best I could do was use a CD for storage, at 700/800 MB.

I should probably not try to explain it to you, after all you're a little kid who had 15 minutes of fame for saying a random phrase on TV.

Yes, that's pretty obvious. As I said above, it's something that is not worth doing at the moment. I'm well aware of what the Internet connections are like in other countries. Your comment about USA and England not making the whole Earth is quite funny (it's Americans that think the World revolves around them, and Brits assume that everyone else should learn English). Don't assume that because my location says England it means that I've lived here my whole life; I haven't.

sorry if my comment hurt you, I didn't mean it. anyway, the ball's is in SI's court. But I don't think it'll have more takers at this moment. It's 3rd season running but 3D view is still not run by every FMers, even though it was one of the most sought features.

sorry if my comment hurt you, I didn't mean it. anyway, the ball's is in SI's court. But I don't think it'll have more takers at this moment. It's 3rd season running but 3D view is still not run by every FMers, even though it was one of the most sought features.

It's all good. :)

Oh and by the way, just think about the amount of time it would take to do it in all those languages. whoa.

I hadn't considered that. Very good point.

Um, you're not following. I gave an example of how technology has progressed. Another way is how I can have 32 GB on a little USB stick now, whereas back when CM2 was around, the best I could do was use a CD for storage, at 700/800 MB.

Like I said, all you've done is said "use technology!! *wave hands in air*" without giving any examples or logic on how this would be any different to last time's audio commentary.

I should probably not try to explain it to you, after all you're a little kid who had 15 minutes of fame for saying a random phrase on TV.

I am not fluent in gibberish, so have no idea what you're on about. However, your attempts at convincing yourself that I am a child is poorly executed, repetitive and illogical.

As the manager, you wouldnt have commentary. This is why match day commentary is kept in a simple bar just to add that little bit of excitement to your matches. Tbh, i think match commentary on fm is great as it is!

Plus, it would cost looaadddss of money to compete with commentary from Fifa and Pro evo. So no point.

I am not fluent in gibberish, so have no idea what you're on about. However, your attempts at convincing yourself that I am a child is poorly executed, repetitive and illogical.

Your username, duh!

Anyway, you don't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about so I'm done.

Your username, duh!

Anyway, you don't seem to have a clue what I'm talking about so I'm done.

Despite changing tactics from 'call him a kid' to 'pretend he just doesn't understand', you have still provided no reasons for SI to retry audio commentary, nor have you rebutted evidence against it.

Oh, other than "TECHNOLOGYYYY!" *waves hands in the air*

You should've listened (read) when I said "Case closed". The case is closed, unless you suddenly deliver logic.

;)

That's why I said "kid". It was supposed to be a joke. I thought anyone with the username "iliketurtles" would know about that video. It went viral (that particular YouTube version has over 22 million views).

As for the rest of your post. You're just going over the same stuff again. If you don't understand what I wrote, read it again. If it still doesn't make sense to you, forget about it.

As for the rest of your post. You're just going over the same stuff again. If you don't understand what I wrote, read it again. If it still doesn't make sense to you, forget about it.

Says the person posting a link to YouTube and talking about an off-topic and irrelevant subject that was not mentioned in the previous post to avoid presenting his/her own argument.

You have failed in your trolling.

Says the person posting a link to YouTube and talking about an off-topic and irrelevant subject that was not mentioned in the previous post to avoid presenting his/her own argument.

You have failed in your trolling.

For the last time, I've already said my piece. You don't understand me, so move on. You don't need to get personal.

What technology? The technology is here now - it would just cost too much. Unless you just want SI to grab someone off the street, they're going to have to pay an actual commentator to sit in a sound booth full time for a month reading the names of players across the world, all the names in the newgen database, and a whole host of commentary lines. That's if any of them will even agree to it. Then, they need to programme it into the game, linking each line of commentary to specific actions which could take another couple of months which could be spent creating features with larger support.

Then there is the language issue - SI will take a lot of stick if they only make it available in English (see how many complaints that the game isn't available in Turkish have been made in the past month), so they'll have to get in another 9 or 10 commentary teams from around the world, and then get international programmers to link it to the specific actions at additional cost and time.

It will presumably add extra strain to computers already being pushed to the limit (I reckon continually opening sound files 4 seconds long is going to do more damage than the computer generated buzz from the crowd), as well as making the file size huuuuge, as has already been pointed out. You either make it a double disc game (doubling Sega's production cost, and presumably then increasing the end price), or make the audio files available as an online download - again, not looking like a popular choice.

On behalf of iliketurtles, can you give an example of what technology would improve this situation?

What technology? The technology is here now - it would just cost too much. Unless you just want SI to grab someone off the street, they're going to have to pay an actual commentator to sit in a sound booth full time for a month reading the names of players across the world, all the names in the newgen database, and a whole host of commentary lines. That's if any of them will even agree to it. Then, they need to programme it into the game, linking each line of commentary to specific actions which could take another couple of months which could be spent creating features with larger support.

Then there is the language issue - SI will take a lot of stick if they only make it available in English (see how many complaints that the game isn't available in Turkish have been made in the past month), so they'll have to get in another 9 or 10 commentary teams from around the world, and then get international programmers to link it to the specific actions at additional cost and time.

It will presumably add extra strain to computers already being pushed to the limit (I reckon continually opening sound files 4 seconds long is going to do more damage than the computer generated buzz from the crowd), as well as making the file size huuuuge, as has already been pointed out. You either make it a double disc game (doubling Sega's production cost, and presumably then increasing the end price), or make the audio files available as an online download - again, not looking like a popular choice.

On behalf of iliketurtles, can you give an example of what technology would improve this situation?

On behalf of Wacko the Troll (cos that has a ring to it): Reading all of that, you obviously don't understand what he's saying and you're just a kid so he's right and you're wrong. :p

Archived