Is the substitution/tactics delay fixed in FM11?

For years there has been a delay when implementing tactics or a substitution where the game continues playing for a few minutes of game time until the tactic/substitution is implemented.

The problem is that you cannot change the tactic or cancel the substitution despite what may happen in those minutes of game time. There is nothing worse than changin to a defensive formation with a 1 goal lead in a must win game and only for the opponent even the score and you be unable to cancel a defensive mentality. It then takes 5 minutes of the remaining 7 to switch your team back.

Or, under the same vien of reasoning, to sub in an extra striker for a defensive midfielder only to watch your other central midfielder get a "+" type knock and plummet to 50% condition for the remainder of the game, cripplling your ability to play.

Honestly, if this hasn't been fixed I will probably not purchase FM11. Its a desgn flaws that effects too many games to ignore for so long. I doubt there is a single player of FM who hasn't experienced some issue thanks to this design. Here is hoping it has been properly addressed.

i can understand your point on the tactics, it shouldnt take 2-3 stoppages to take effect, subs though i think it isnt that bad, i mean irl when the manager makes his decision the sub will spend a minute or 2 with a quick warm up, maybe any option to warm a player or 2 up and then make the sub as soon as you are ready?

100% agree on the cancelling of a sub if needed. I had the perfect ecample last night. I brought on a fresh DM to close the game out, before the sub was made my rw got injured (red +) and deeded to be taken off, it went to my tactics screen and although he hadnt yet come on, the sub was 'made' and i had to play the last 15 with a man down, would have been great if i could have cancelled as i had a fresh rw on the bench!

Sorry if it wasn't clear. I don't mind the delay in implementing the tactic or substituion, I mind the inability to cancel it. I have seen real life subs cancelled while the sub is standing on the sideline and the board is being raised.

Same thing for tatics. If the delay is attempting to replicate waiting for a stoppage such that the manager can talk to a member of teh team to relay instructions, then shouldn't i be able to cancel the words that have not been spoken?

are you saying that if i go to tactics and make a change i cant change it back once the change has been put in place. So basically if i put my amc up front, then later decide i want to amc again i cant? I dont think you are right there..

If you make a substitution, you have to wait until the ball goes out of play before the change is actually made. In between these times, a lot can happen - you might score, or a player might get injured - and you may want to change this substitution ("Don't bring on a midfielder, we need to replace our injured goalkeeper!"). This isn't possible.

You can, of course, change things around after the original substitution is made.

Managers have changed their minds before in real-life.

thats exactly what i was saying when i posted "100% agree on the cancelling of a sub if needed. I had the perfect ecample last night. I brought on a fresh DM to close the game out, before the sub was made my rw got injured (red +) and deeded to be taken off, it went to my tactics screen and although he hadnt yet come on, the sub was 'made' and i had to play the last 15 with a man down, would have been great if i could have cancelled as i had a fresh rw on the bench! "

my point was that you can 'cancel' a tactic if needed (not a sub) by putting it back to how it was before...

It's not so easy to program the game to cancel tactics yet. I'm quite sure SI are aware about this 'issue' and are seeing what they can do to cancel tactic changes. If it's not in FM11 it probably means SI haven't found a way to fix it. SI won't put anything in the game unless it's perfect (eg. 3d match engine and dynamic league rep) so unless they have tested that the game won't have any problems when the user cancels tactics, it won't be in the game.

This is a bug bear of mine too.

I always like to use all 3 subs. However, nothing gets my goat more than when you've selected your last sub, someone picks up a knock or hobbles off injured, and you have to stick with the original selection and play on with 10 men. THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!!

Or... when you've decided to pull your striker off for playing poorly. He scores before his replacement comes on, and he's immediately substituted.

I think a work around could be for you to select a 'Make Substitution' option. Then the game would only allow you to make the change when the ball has gone out. Therefore, the change happens immediately. If something happens between choosing to make a sub, and the ball going out, then it doesn't matter because you haven't actually made any changes. If that makes sense...?

i dont think thats the way around it, it would only workl if people are watching the entire match.

I think the way around it is when you choose your subs, a little box comes up under your teams name (where the shouts etc are) with the pending sub, it should have an 'X' next to it or something that you can click to cancel if you wish

or even the game recognises that there is a knock etc and delays the sub long enough for you to rearrange it

Probably the best way to work it would be that once you've selected your substitutions (not confirmed) the game stops at the next break in play and awaits your confirmation, the subs should then happen before play resumes.

Probably the best way to work it would be that once you've selected your substitutions (not confirmed) the game stops at the next break in play and awaits your confirmation, the subs should then happen before play resumes.

This is exactly what we need. A final confirmation before going ahead and making thee substitution. Simple yet very effective to cover the issues raised here. Can that be coded in easily? And is it/has it been considered for FM11?

K

Unfortunately this does not seem to happen if I understand your point correctly.

I have also noticed alot of goals scored for both AI and human managers during this period in the game when tactical changes are been made. Not everytime but quite a high percentage. Im supicious but might be coincidental

If you've made a sub, a player gets injured and it takes you to the tactics screen, before the sub has come on, i normally press cancel, on the tactics screen.

And by doing so i get to reset all my changes. When i enter the match again, i just press pause before they start the match again, and go back to the tactics screen.

Then the original substiution i tried to make is cancelled.

Not sure if that has anything to do with what some of you have mentioned or not. Might have missed the point.

My apologies if i did.

But yeah. The ability to cancel a sub, without injuries, would be very good.

Don't need that extra defender when, all of a sudden while waiting, i need an attacker instead :p

Right. great idea. Since we can make only 3 subs, this extra screen/dialog can be accepted.

In other words, the system we had in FM07 and earlier?

I don't know why they changed that.

Archived