Youth coach not offering youth players professional contracts

I'm managing Wycombe and I have my youth coach in charge of contracts for my U18s team, but none of the youth players are ever given a professional contract. FM2010 is the first FM I've played since 2007 and on that game the coach in charge of the U18s would offer professional contracts to various youth players when they became eligible, but on 2010 my youth coach never does and they all leave when their youth contracts expire. What I want to know is whether this is just how the game works now or whether my youth coach just doesn't think any of my youth players are good enough for professional deals. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me and sorry if this has been asked before.

I could have done but they all looked awful and I didn't want them taking up any of my wage budget so I didn't bother. I was just wondering why my youth coach hasn't offered any of my youth players a single professional contract in two and a half seasons. Is it just because none of them are good enough?

Right, that's exactly what is happening to me. Is that how it's supposed to work? I was confused because I'm used to the coach in charge of the U18s actually giving them professional contracts when they become eligible as that how it worked in FM2007.

Right, that's exactly what is happening to me. Is that how it's supposed to work? I was confused because I'm used to the coach in charge of the U18s actually giving them professional contracts when they become eligible as that how it worked in FM2007.

It might be an unnoticed bug, I'm not sure.

And if they all look awful, save up some money and get better facilities. :p

That must be how it's meant to work now then. Tbh, now that you have coach reports on a players potential, its much easier to decide who deserves a pro contract, and who should get released.

when I have assistant set to give new contracts to my u19s (or u18s) he does so, but he has a habit of sometimes giving good-paid contracts to rather poor youth players, thusly, I've unchecked the option for him to offer them and I intend to do it manually, it's better that way anyway.

In the past I have always let my coach/assistant handle the youth contracts because I couldn't be bothered to do it myself, but if it doesn't work properly on this game then I guess I'll have to do it myself in future. I'm confused that it works for some people and not others though, so maybe my youth coach really just doesn't like any of the players in my U18s enough to give them a professional contract. Thanks for the help guys.

In that case I think the problem is that Wycombe have really poor youth facilities so none of the players are seen as good enough by the coach in charge. I'll have to make the decision myself in future when each player turns 17. Thank you very much to everyone who replied.

I could have done but they all looked awful and I didn't want them taking up any of my wage budget so I didn't bother. I was just wondering why my youth coach hasn't offered any of my youth players a single professional contract in two and a half seasons. Is it just because none of them are good enough?

there your anser then hes not signing them up if there not good enough.

I finally got some really promising young players in my U18s and they were poached in the first few weeks by Liverpool and Tottenham. Does this always happen if you manage a lower league club and some promising players come into your youth team? Is there any way you can make sure that you hold on to them?

Archived