Your Favourite Club...In FM

If you're looking for a post that is going to change the world, you may want to click back...just pre-warning you! I don't want people saying "what was the point in this?!" before throwing their toys out of their pram and having a tantrum in the middle of the living room floor.

There, I'm glad thats out of the way.

I was just thinking to myself about the way that Football Manager can make people care about clubs that they'd otherwise have no affinity with. For example, I'm a Chelsea fan (before the money! Zola = legend) but a team I always casually look out for in real life is Wolves. The reason is simple...I started up a management game with Leicester City on FM07 and within a few months got the sack because my new signings didn't gel quite as I'd have liked. I went on holiday and left the setting as apply for jobs and within a few weeks Wolves came in for me. They were sitting just above the relegation zone and I managed to get them up to upper-end of the league (sadly without promotion). I also pulled their under-18 goalkeeper into my first team when my main keeper got injured and he did such a fantastic job that he didn't budge. The next season we made the play-offs but got beaten, the next season we won the championship, then survived relegation and pushed for a mid-table finish in the Premiership.

Then came FM08. Lets just say my luck hasn't been the same since lol...

I was just wondering if anyone else has developed a liking for a football club or even a certain player simply based off of Football Manager?

If you're looking for a post that is going to change the world, you may want to click back...just pre-warning you! I don't want people saying "what was the point in this?!" before throwing their toys out of their pram and having a tantrum in the middle of the living room floor.

There, I'm glad thats out of the way.

I was just thinking to myself about the way that Football Manager can make people care about clubs that they'd otherwise have no affinity with. For example, I'm a Chelsea fan (before the money! Zola = legend) but a team I always casually look out for in real life is Wolves. The reason is simple...I started up a management game with Leicester City on FM07 and within a few months got the sack because my new signings didn't gel quite as I'd have liked. I went on holiday and left the setting as apply for jobs and within a few weeks Wolves came in for me. They were sitting just above the relegation zone and I managed to get them up to upper-end of the league (sadly without promotion). I also pulled their under-18 goalkeeper into my first team when my main keeper got injured and he did such a fantastic job that he didn't budge. The next season we made the play-offs but got beaten, the next season we won the championship, then survived relegation and pushed for a mid-table finish in the Premiership.

Then came FM08. Lets just say my luck hasn't been the same since lol...

I was just wondering if anyone else has developed a liking for a football club or even a certain player simply based off of Football Manager?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you're looking for a post that is going to change the world, you may want to click back...just pre-warning you! I don't want people saying "what was the point in this?!" before throwing their toys out of their pram and having a tantrum in the middle of the living room floor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What??

FM05 Man City the only game I did

FM07 Man City the only save I did for like 15days

FM08 3rd Game started after a Man City and Cardiff

I normally go for Newcastle (sadistic I know).

However, since FM05 I keep starting a new game with Blyth Spartans. Maybe because they are local re the North East but they do provide a hard LLM

game.

The only hard thing to swallow is that Graham Fenton is coach/player (he's good) but it was him that scored 2 against NUFC when we finished 2nd all those years ago... icon_wink.gif

Such a contrast from premier play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by princess cow goes quack:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> If you're looking for a post that is going to change the world, you may want to click back...just pre-warning you! I don't want people saying "what was the point in this?!" before throwing their toys out of their pram and having a tantrum in the middle of the living room floor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What??

FM05 Man City the only game I did

FM07 Man City the only save I did for like 15days

FM08 3rd Game started after a Man City and Cardiff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

interesting.... icon_biggrin.gif

Wel im a hardcore bolton fan but hav a massive soft spot for MK dons.

Whenever i feel like challenging in the lower leagues compared to the premier league, i look no further than mk dons. I think the whole thing with this team started when everything happened with wimbledon messing up etc and mk dons being created, i remember them being in trouble and me sitting their at my computer one day thinkin... hhmmmmm i think i can save them hehe

Notts County. I'm a Coventry fan, but I prefer it further down the league pyramid to start with. My mate is a County fan and I think I started a game at first to get him interested, but got well into it myself (prob back in the CM2 days).

Great club to build because they already have a decent ground that will suit you up to the Prem and I love the fact that they have an incredible history and won FA Cups in the 1890s.

My first save with any fm is always with Middlesbrough. In 08 it resulted in the sack pre-christmas. But on the others i had a fair bit more success.

Then i'll do a game with a big club so i can spend mega money on all the world class stars. In the early fm's it used to be Juventus, mainly because i used to love watching del piero play when i was younger. In 07 i used Roma (for totti mainly) in 08 i used Inter (ibrahimovic)

Then i'll do a llm game, depending on how low i want to go. its either darlington or harrogate.

Then it's back to the good old boro where i use all the experience i gained from previous ones to take them to world domination. Works so far as i finished 6th in first season...although gibson wants me to be challenging for the title by end of the two year plan now. Bit of a tall order!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by covmat:

Notts County. I'm a Coventry fan, but I prefer it further down the league pyramid to start with. My mate is a County fan and I think I started a game at first to get him interested, but got well into it myself (prob back in the CM2 days).

Great club to build because they already have a decent ground that will suit you up to the Prem and I love the fact that they have an incredible history and won FA Cups in the 1890s. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Being a coventry fan u will b able to start with them and still be quite far down the league next season huh? hehe

as a spurs fan i always do a spurs save, but there has been other saves that have made me look at other teams results. one is coventry from 97/98. another is sheff utd. but they came and went. the only club that i kept up with because of fm was AFC wombles. just because si sponsored them i suppose

A team I have an affinity with would be Atletico Madrid.

The only team I've ever enjoyed any element of success with whatsoever (On any FM).

I always try to play as my team - Liverpool - but that has always ended in disaster so I head off to sunnier climes to try my hand with a different team in a different league.

On FM07 I did just this and more than acheived what was expected of me.

And yes, nowadays I half-follow them in real life. icon_biggrin.gif

well im a big Spurs fan. But my first longer than 1 season career was with Norwich in Fm 2005 in which i did ok. In FM 2006 it was Lincoln (2 succesive promotions and doing well in championship)then in 2007 it was Spurs ( 1 premiership, 2 FA cups, 1 league cup, 1 Uefa cup, 2 champions leagues and 1 world cup as england) but on this game i have struggled to settle down to 1 team!!!

I knew nothing of football until I bought FM05. I always create a fictional team, so I can't say I've developed an affinity for a team that way. I was picked up by Rochester in FM06, and I still subscribe to their email letter. I played Exeter in FM05 for a bit, and bought a Southampton shirt because they had the same colors and shirt pattern.

But I decided I needed to pick a team and support it. And because I'm a Cubs fan, I chose Reading. I now own two Reading away shirts, subscribe to their newsletter, and post occasionally on the STAR forums.

I find that when you have a memorable time with a club you have a liking for them, for me, Ipswich and Barcelona aside, I've had a liking for Braga and an obscure (so obscure I don't think they're in a playable league any more, they may not have started 05 in one in the first place) norwegan club named namsos. also Verona, but i had a soft spot for them before a successful 07 stint.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazza:

I normally go for Newcastle (sadistic I know).

However, since FM05 I keep starting a new game with Blyth Spartans. Maybe because they are local re the North East but they do provide a hard LLM

game.

The only hard thing to swallow is that Graham Fenton is coach/player (he's good) but it was him that scored 2 against NUFC when we finished 2nd all those years ago... icon_wink.gif

Such a contrast from premier play. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm exactly the same, though I tend to give him a (very immature) p45 just because of those goals!

Averaging out over all the versions and ignoring clubs that I managed because I was a big fan of them in real life beforehand it'd have to be Kilmarnock. CM 03/04 Kilmarnock were my absolute favourite "out of the box" team, although admittedly that was partly because of various match engine flaws in CM03/04 that made it too easy in general.

CM97/98 - Newcastle

CM99/00 - Ajax

CM01/02 - Man Utd

CM3 - Nottingham Forest

CM4 - Blackburn

CM03/04 - Bolton

FM05 - Spurs

FM06 - Spurs

FM07 - Juventus

FM08 - Bayern Munich

I've alwayswent for relatively large teams, but the most enjoyable was Bolton on 03/04, Roncatto up front banging them in left right and centre, eventually took them to CL glory.

Newcastle, 97/98, was the most heart breaking as in my first 3 seasons I lost out in the league to Man Utd on the final day of the season.

I'm currently really enjoying my FC Bayern save on 8.0.2 as the league is pretty easy but given the stature of the German league it is dificult to attract players sometimes and CL glory is very difficult to achieve. Managed it in my second season but TBH had a really easy run through to the final and got mauled by Barcelona but managed to nick it with a Klose header. Since then i've really struggled and am enjoying the challenge of European football.

I think I've only ever developed an affinity for one club after playing with them on FM. This is probably because I follow a club in most countries and have been to see games of that particular club, so who I play with on CM, (and now FM) doesn't influence my following of a club.

I suppose I could say that I have started following Ajax because of playing with them on Championship Manager 01/02 when players such as Raffa van der Vaart, Andy van der Meyde, Steven Pienaar, and Wesley Sneijder were coming through the youth system. Add to that the young players they had just bought in the shape of Mido and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and that made for one incredibly interesting game.

Since then I have been over to Holland to see Ajax play 5 times now. Not loads of games I know, but considering over the past few years I have been over to Germany to watch Werder Bremen, Italy to watch Juventus, and Spain to watch Barcelona, I thinks thats quite impressive.

Add to this I have had a home season ticket for Manchester United for the past few years, and from this season also an away season ticket, there simply isn't enough time in the world to follow all the teams I support!

IRL = Manchester United.

When I play as them though, after a few seasons I invariably get bored.

In-Game = Granada C.F. in the Spanish Segunda B4 (My local team as a British expat living near to the city.)

I like the challenge of building a dynasty - to see if I can take the club to a point where they can challenge Barça, Real Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla, at the top of La Liga.

Long way to go in FM08 yet, but have got alot of great youngsters already and am top of Segunda B4, so I'm off to a good start. icon14.gif

In earlier versions right back to the original CM, it's been clubs like Runcorn (in the good old days before they were relegated from the Conference and kept declining IRL), Scarborough (when they were a league club, before they too went into financial decline and eventually went bust).

Just wondering there... perhaps there's a pattern and I'm the kiss of death! icon_razz.gif - The two clubs I've just mentioned, I play them in CM/FM and they go kaput!! Hope the same does'nt happen with Granada C.F. hehe! Unlikely though with former Real Madrid president Sanz and his family at the helm. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At the moment I am with Monopoli in Serie C2/C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope you've got your "Get Out Of Jail Free" card then! icon_wink.gif

Archived