wbat does 'creative freedom' do?

Lork

i play with classical tactics because i don't like the new ones, just personal preference not slagging them off or anything. but i always give my players high creative freedom without actually thinking about what it does. so what does high, medium and low creative freedoms mean? just deviate from the tactics or more than that?

please don't move this so the tactics section cos this isn't a question on tactics!

The higher creative freedom a player has the more likely they are to use their own judgement and break from your tactical plan when appropiate e.g. you need a goal and they see an opportunity for a through ball to an unmarked striker even though the player is instructed not to try through balls. Obviously lower creative freedom means they are more likely to stick to your tactical system than make their own decisions.

I don't get your last sentence as this is a question on tactics.

I tend to play with the creativity of each player role based on the players ability who is fulfilling that role. Team creativity I keep pretty standard (normally towards the center of the bar).

When managing in the conference (or below) I tend to have minimal creativity though, as the players just diont have the vision

na that was about the game engine. this is tactical:

so what's recommended then generally? if i try and play short passing football lower creative freedom is better right?

Not really. Barcelona play short passing football in reality and most certainly high creative freedom.

Creative freedom is not directly related to what type of passing you use.

Again it just means are your players going to try out their own ideas often or just adhere more often to your instuctions and not try what they think is the right option in particular circumstances if it goes against your instructions.

alright thanks guys, i'm yet to have a good season in fm10 and i've had it since it came out! i'll experiment with trying lower creative freedoms then and see how that does. the way i see it is that if maybe i use lower creative freedoms but have creative, technically good flair players such as the ones at fulham anyway they'll naturally try clever passes or tricks and flicks. am i barking down the wrong tree?

also i'd be interested to know if anyone knows how to see how the opposition set their tactics out. surely they work the same way as we do, with their bars set differently, anyone know how you can do it? i'd be interested to see for example how the way wenger plays is interpreted by fm

creative, technically good flair players such as the ones at fulham anyway

Err, don't know which Fulham you've been watching but they're more renowned for being well organized defensively and fairly tidy going forward. Zamora and Duff are the only real 'flair' players there, maybe Moussa Dembele will be as well, but I haven't seen much of him.

alright thanks guys, i'm yet to have a good season in fm10 and i've had it since it came out! i'll experiment with trying lower creative freedoms then and see how that does. the way i see it is that if maybe i use lower creative freedoms but have creative, technically good flair players such as the ones at fulham anyway they'll naturally try clever passes or tricks and flicks. am i barking down the wrong tree?

also i'd be interested to know if anyone knows how to see how the opposition set their tactics out. surely they work the same way as we do, with their bars set differently, anyone know how you can do it? i'd be interested to see for example how the way wenger plays is interpreted by fm

Probably you are more likely to use high creative freedom on your attacking flair/creative players as you want them to try out defence splitting passes when they see the opportunity and maybe just play a simple pass when they don't see the opportunity. Decision making is important as well in determining which of your players have high creative freedom as it obviously means you are giving them license to make their own decisions more often.

I don't think it is possible to see how other managers have their tactics set up. You can just judge for yourself though by watching how they play and so on.

ok thanks again jod, something to think about!

Err, don't know which Fulham you've been watching but they're more renowned for being well organized defensively and fairly tidy going forward. Zamora and Duff are the only real 'flair' players there, maybe Moussa Dembele will be as well, but I haven't seen much of him.

they are creative and technically good though as opposed to physically defensively organised like stoke might be talked about, but fulham aren't as good as say arsenal which is why i used them as an example

Creative freedom has a lot to do with player movement also, with more they will roam around the pitch and your wingers will cut inside etc. Players with high creative freedom go through their stamina a lot quicker though so you ususaly have to trade off either attacking or closing down. Also expect to see a few more mistakes from players that just don't have the skills for it.

I always thought of it that way that if the 'creative freedom' slider is in the middle, the player does what I want him to do half of the time? If the slider is on the very left he does what I want almost always and if the slider is far right the player will use his own judgement?

I always thought of it that way that if the 'creative freedom' slider is in the middle, the player does what I want him to do half of the time? If the slider is on the very left he does what I want almost always and if the slider is far right the player will use his own judgement?

You can't really quantify it. It's not as simple as "don't do what I say" either, it's more like "freedom to do the expected". So a player who has high creative freedom will still play through balls roughly as often as you instruct him, but he'll be more likely to be extravagant about it, maybe attempting chipped through balls, or trick passes.

see, that's what i thought, but how would lower creative freedom effect naturally creative players? would they use their creativity more effectively or would they be stifled? it's ambiguous imo

I think of flair as the desire to be creative, creativity as the mental ability to be creative and technical attributes like technique being the technical ability to be creative. However, creativity doesn't need creative freedom to work, as it's basically "eye for a pass". Not sure what my point is. Anyway, I don't think it would stifle their creativity in terms of passing options, but it would certainly stop them showing off, unless they're a real flair player who doesn't care what you tell him.

I think of flair as the desire to be creative, creativity as the mental ability to be creative and technical attributes like technique being the technical ability to be creative. However, creativity doesn't need creative freedom to work, as it's basically "eye for a pass". Not sure what my point is. Anyway, I don't think it would stifle their creativity in terms of passing options, but it would certainly stop them showing off, unless they're a real flair player who doesn't care what you tell him.

exactly. I reckon that if a player that i set to have low creative freedom with through ball often has high creativity and passing (not necessarily flair) it can only be a good thing, because he can use his creativity to make defence splitting passes but he won't give the ball away stupidly with over extravagant passes. not only that but defensively he'll be indisciplined.

There's a thread which includes parts of this debate in the tactics forum. It's quite wordy, but a fairly interesting read.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/220742-Creativity-and-Flair.

very interesting read, thanks

exactly. I reckon that if a player that i set to have low creative freedom with through ball often has high creativity and passing (not necessarily flair) it can only be a good thing, because he can use his creativity to make defence splitting passes but he won't give the ball away stupidly with over extravagant passes. not only that but defensively he'll be indisciplined.

very interesting read, thanks

Yeah I agree with that. In some cases you could use your most creative and flairish players in a very boring, methodological sort of way with low creative freedom and he will do the same thing again and again - but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I usually keep creative freedom low (zero in a lot of cases) except where I need a little more unpredictability (attacking midfielders are the best at this). It makes tactics analysis so much easier, for one thing, and if I need to change something I would rather do it manually in tactics rather than let my attacking midfielder figure something out. Control freakery. :thup:

Archived