Statistics, Views and Reporting - An Idea for the Future

Wiggz

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to thank "baaf" as he re-lit the blue touchpaper on an idea that I had before FM10 whilst I was still actually playing FM08.

I'm going to make reference to my idea again as it kind of got lost in the ether - so be kind :)

Basically my idea followed the generic report writing techniques of most commercial management packages use in businesses. Report writers are used to do just that; write reports to pull key data from their systems and accurately represent it as information.

There are reporting elements that I recognise already in FM such as the player and staff search screens. These allow you to throw dynamic parameters at the database and return related information.

What I proposed originally, and what I am proposing again is the ability to create relevant reports based on the data in the FM database.

Example:

The reporting screen should:

• allow the addition of criteria to be searched against with logical include/exclude options
  • the ability to specify which "area" of the database (or tables if you are more familiar with databases) you want to search

I believe that these reports (which would be structured language although I'm not sure what FM is built on...never bothered to look) could be shared in the community and could become a manager's best friend when wanting to look at a players worth over a period of time (for example). Everybody's views of what constitutes a "good player" for example are different...this reporting tool could cater to each and everyone's tastes.

I'm currently incredibly tired and sitting at work typing this rather speedily whilst I should, ironically, be writing a few SQL reports, so apologies if it's not the most grammatically correct or readable piece of text you'll ever see.

In summary, I'm basically asking for the ability to run Database Queries on user-viewable data tables, with the ability to save and archive off those query strings.

Ishu - this is the summary....basically grab data from the database that FM runs on...

Hi all,

In summary, I'm basically asking for the ability to run Database Queries on user-viewable data tables, with the ability to save and archive off those query strings.

I did business studies, and I'm an Assistant Manager in a big company. This also went over my head.

Then again, I never said I did WELL in business studies, nor that I'm not screwing my manager... (who is a lady :cool:)

So you do other stuff on the job besides playing FM. :)

Interesting. If I understand you right, you're thinking of something along the lines of the player and staff search functions but with a much broader focus. So for example, if you were contemplating buying a striker but were concerned about his ability to play at the highest level, you might run a query for all the matches he's played against certain specified teams, or in continental competitions, so you could analyse his performances by looking at all the raw data. Or you could run a search for all the matches that a team has lost that season, and the formations the opposition used against them. Is that the kind of thing you're thinking of?

If so, I think it could be quite useful, but I'm not sure how popular it would be. For players who micromanage everything it could be a massive timesaver, but I suspect we're in the minority.

Archived