Player Worried By "lack of managerial discipline"

I just took over the club this season, about 3/4 through the season now. One particular player of mine has had the "worried by the lack of managerial discipline" for many months now.

1) what is it exactly that I have done wrong to make him do this?

2) how can I improve myself to make him satisfied by my coaching?

When a player gets a red card you need to discipline them correctly, same with any breaking of the rules.

I generally issue a two week fine for all offences, but some people may issue a two week fine for violent behaviour, two week fine for unprofessional behaviour (e.g. going out clubbing before a match day) and a warning for a red card without violent behaviour.

The player has shown concern that you are not punishing player adequately or at all when they commit offences.

1) Are you appealing against red card decisions or just doing nothing when a player gets sent off? Players often question your discipline when you do nothing.

2) Start being harder on them. It's better to upset the perpertraitor as they usually forget about it after a week or so, assuming they don't agree with you that is.

• 6 months later...

in fm 09, the discipline for unprofessional behavior will appear out of nowhere, without u knowing the actual action that is deemed unprofessional.. so how wat do we do? i actually have most of my 1st team players on unprofessional behavior, which is pretty ridiculous dun u tink?

in fm 09, the discipline for unprofessional behavior will appear out of nowhere, without u knowing the actual action that is deemed unprofessional.. so how wat do we do? i actually have most of my 1st team players on unprofessional behavior, which is pretty ridiculous dun u tink?

What do you mean you have them on 'unprofessional behaviour'? What are you talking about?

i get that, i would'nt mind if i knew what the'd done rather than just randomly haveing the opption to fine them for it

What do you mean you have them on 'unprofessional behaviour'? What are you talking about?

It's a known issue I think. Out of nowhere some people have reported being able to fine players for unprofessionalism for no reason.

its on both 9.1.0 and 9.2.0.. most of the players will reply wif accepting the warning or fine with no comment.. but there are the rare players who agree to improve on their behavior.. which i do not know is in which aspect of their behavior.. tsk...tsk..

i was wondering if it was due to the players unhappy with the high training workload.. becoz i tend to set the intensity of trainings to high and the players are unhappy of the workload..

I had this, I decided that it was due to them reacting positively to praise/interest from other managers, I'm not certain though as it is far from clear.

Check your players to see if they are "flattered by the interest being shown" or similar and maybe consider giving them a warning if so.

I had this, I decided that it was due to them reacting positively to praise/interest from other managers, I'm not certain though as it is far from clear.

I think this is right, any time a player speaks to the press the game considers it a breach of discipline, if you have players reacting to praise from other managers and let them away with it too often it can cause them to get worried by lack of discipline.

• 2 weeks later...

That is stupid if that is true? How do you go about fixing it?

The trouble is once its done its done you cant seem to correct the "Worried by the lack of managerial discipline"

I have this problem now but I am not sure if it is due to players speaking to the press? Or if its becuase I have 2 players who has a conflict with each other.

Not sure how to correct it.

I now give anyone who talks to the press a warning for unprofessional behaviour. These warnings are generally "accepted without comment." Always makes me nervous, though, since it's almost always one of my top-tier players getting the praise and saying, "Thanks."

As to the internal conflict, there's not much one can do. Don't let them on the same pitch, if possible, for the team's sake, but only time will settle this out, AFAIK. Sometimes, not even that...and then, the only thing to do is sell one of them. I once (in FM08) had a newgen decide he didn't like the 1st XI captain. Newgen was GONE the next morning...

Once again, Personalities are crucial to this game. One cannot be bringing in players to one's squad without regards to their personalities. Conflicts will arise out of conflicting ones.

The trouble is once its done its done you cant seem to correct the "Worried by the lack of managerial discipline"

... Not sure how to correct it.

I think you CAN correct it. Generally, when an opportunity comes up to discipline a player - such as fine for red card, all the players who are worried cheer up when they see you being masterful.

If it bothers you that much, choose a game where you're sure you'll win easily, go 3-0 at half-time then bring on some useless numpty with high 'dirtiness' rating and put him on tight-marking/hard tackling. Sacrifice him to the god of officialdom and make an example of him after his dismissal. If it *****s your conscience, see it as God sending Jesus to his death for the greater good ;)

Fixing it's easy. Just start passing out warnings and fines at every chance...

Well I'm not sure if this isn't a bug. I've got a player who suddenly became worried by lack of managerial discipline a week after I'd signed him and we were still in the close season. I'd had no sendings off and none of the players had spoken to the press.

Haven't checked if he's fallen out with any team mates but what's that got to do with manageral discipline anyway??

I've found this also seems to happen if your too gushing in your praise.

My recently promoted team have had 3-4 great results on the bounce and i've said "Sensational" on each occasion, now 3 of my best players (best meaning they could easily play for a top 4 side) are now worried.

Could be coincidence, but try to be a bit more measured in your teamtalks.

• 2 weeks later...

At the risk of sounding stupid.. how do I issue warnings for players revelling in other mangers praise?

I have this problem currently and it's resulted in the squad being unhappy with the lack of discipline but when I go to the player's profile and go to 'Discipline Player' all it says is- 'No Action'.

entroduce: Unlikely. Take a look but I don't think that it would be possible. Besides, if you did, you may well cause further confidence loss in him and a rift in the squad. The best option is to either amend your own ways and fix whatever your doing wrong, or sell him. Don't worry, he won't sue for unfair dismissal ;).

W_Beattie: This isn't possible. I don't see why players should be punished for revelling in another manager's praise, anyway. If this were possible, once again, you'd most likely cause unhappiness in the squad.

Warnings are powerful things. Give them sparingly, and players could worry about your lack of discipline. Give them too often and players may begin to despise you. Generally, I only give warnings for sendings off, and not turning up to training (although I've rarely actually had the latter occur).

this caught my interest...

so if, say, i'm in a press conference and they say 'player X has said he's lost confidence in you' could you fine or discipline that player for publicly slagging you off?

How do you know the player said that - maybe the press made it up (they do that sort of thing, you know ;))?

If you get a direct media report that your player is complaining about you - then you can take action.

Archived