Give him the job

dctimc

I wonder what people think about the lack of assistant managers going on to be managers. In my time playing FM, my assistant has never been offered the managers job at another club. More strange is how no assistant manager seems to be promoted to the managers position when somebody has been sacked or resigns.

In reality, assistants often take tempory charge of the team when a manager leaves the club and I think that should be reflected more in the game. I would like to see assistants taking tempory charge and going on to get the job if they do well. This could also lead to fan unrest that someone inhouse has been appointed rather than the big name manager that they were hoping for.

Another thing I would like to see is the ability to advise the board on a successor if you have been with the club for a long time. Currently they ask your opinion on feeder clubs. If I am leaving the club, I would like to be able to recommend either my assistant for the managers position or another manager I rate.

At the moment I have been at Real Madrid for 10 years and should I decide to leave, I would like to recommend Raul as my successor as he is a legend at Real and has been doing a very good job at Almeria for the past 4 years. This could also lead to greater friendships and interaction between managers.

Anyone agree, Or got anything to add?

i see it happen alot. I often scour the job scene and almost every team that has sacked their manager has the assistant as a caretaking in charge, depending on results they often get the full time role as well.

id rather be able to recommend my assistant than a manager of another team, regardless who he is.

Strange, never happens in my games. Despite that, I still would like to recommend a successor and see more caretaker managers.

have you actually looked? Go to your job screen, look at a club who is 'managerless' and click on them, go to the staff list and there will usually be a caretaker manager

I managed Central Coast till 2013. When I left, I took my assistant and a few coaches with me, but coach Harry Kewell took over Central Coast.

I continually praised him as a manager, and I'd like to think that boosted his rep a bit until Blackburn offered him a post.

I've had coaches leave to take on management roles, be sacked from those roles, and then come back as a coach, only to then take another management role years later.

Lots of examples from posters above. It seems to happen in saves, although in my experience it doesnt happen more than it should, which is as it should be as chairmen/boards IRL often dispense of an assistant who has taken over temporarily in favour of a more established boss (ie. Aston Villa)

Archived