Help selling the best keeper in the game

I need some tips on how to sell a player...my goalkeeper. He is a regen I got from Argentina for £5mil when he was 17. He now feels that playing in the SPL (I'm Celtic) just ain't good enough for him.

So I'm trying to get rid of him and him being an amazing keeper I figured he would be easy to get rid of an make a fair bit of cash from him.

Problem is no one wants him....I was surprised at this so did a little checking with a scout program and found that he is the best player in the game with CA of 196 and PA of 199. Which made me wonder even more why none of the big clubs would want him.

The only stumbling block I can think of is his wages...I am currently paying him £50k but that shouldn't be a problem for most clubs in any of the top 5 leagues in europe...keeping in mind he is a the best player in the game.

His value is £13mil and since he wants to leave I figured I'd sell him pretty cheap for £20mil....not a big ask I would say considering how good he is.

But I can't even get any interest from other teams...

Anybody got any suggestions on how to sell the best player in the game?

Try offering him a new contract, he might want to stay. The only way to get rid is to offer him out and list him.

You might try lowering the price by a few million each time just to see when teams are interested.

Its a pretty big flaw in the game, fanbois will try to justify it but teams would be all over him. 50k/week is cheap for the worlds best goalie.

Yeah I thought that may be a problem...would be surprised if all the big teams had their keeper sorted...especially since my keeper is the best there is.

Its not even just my keeper I'm having problems selling...my AM James Rodriguez is another amazing player who wants to leave....can't get an offer over £10mil for him.

It can't even really be because of the low SPL reputation cause I've been selling players for £20-30mil the past couple of seasons.

One thing that sometimes works is to transfer list him for a relatively low amount, say 10 million, and wait until clubs become interested. Then take him off the transfer list and offer him to clubs for the amount you are looking for. As long as you don't ask a ridiculous amount there should at least be some offers coming in then.

If i was you i'd want more then 20m. I'm currently in 2020 and just had to spend nearly 40m on a ecuardorian regen keeper from CSKA Moscow. A few week before i bought him i had 70m rejected for a scottish keeper at Man utd.

Neither were worldwide, Uniteds keeper was worth 7m and the keeper i bought was worth 5m.

AI teams base a lot of their spending on reputation, so even though he's a very good player, because he's playing in Scotland, teams won't show a great deal of interest.

I was thinking that as well. So again with a scout program I checked his reputation. it was 9119 which I believe is out of 10000. I have been doing very well in the champions league (semi and quarter finals) and beating big teams with my keeper being a big player for me so I wouldn't imagine his reputation will be much of a problem.

I can't even tell you how much I'm looking forward to dynamic league reputation in FM2011, once my might Celtic bring Scotlands reputation right up....I can start selling my players for what they are actually worth :)

Hmm, I had a similar problem. Asenjo was doing very well for me, playing every game but then I noticed Adler was unhappy and transfer listed by request so I got him for 5 million thinking I could sell Asenjo for more than that. Turned out NO ONE wanted him even for 3 million and he wasn't on particularly high wages either.

Yeah I've decided to just keep hold of him. He does have quite a bit on his contract to go...and his happiness has changed to "Happy playing for the club" but still has a slight concern of "thinks its time to move on".

I am currently one of his favored personnel so hopefully after another season or two Celtic will be his favorite club as well.

20m sounds like a lot for a player who you're actively trying to get rid of. All I can suggest is to try offering him out but let clubs pay for him with monthly installments. I managed to get 10m for an honestly average keeper by doing it.

Yeah I've decided to just keep hold of him. He does have quite a bit on his contract to go...and his happiness has changed to "Happy playing for the club" but still has a slight concern of "thinks its time to move on".

I am currently one of his favored personnel so hopefully after another season or two Celtic will be his favorite club as well.

Offer a new increased contract.

There is an issue in the game when offering goalkeepers to other clubs. I offered a world class 32 year old keeper to clubs for 30 mill at first and then kept dropping it until I hit 0. Still no interest.

For outfield players the 'offer to other clubs' always generates a realistic amount of interest, but there is clearly a flaw for goalkeepers

From my experience there seems to be tons of great goalies around

To my surprise as well there are !!!

Strangely at every club I was managing in lower leagues i could snatch up for free a goalie that is way better then the league my club was in. At Feierense Portugal second division I've got a very good Mexican goalkeeper for free, and after 3 years and a promotion i got on offer for him around 7 million (I refused :D)

In another save in 2021, Albinoleffe, Seria C1/A got a young 21 year old italian goalkeeper for free. His stats are the following: 25 games 11 clean sheets. I'm very impressed with him, he got his first call up for Italy U21 side and got an appearance (which is a nice touch to his resume). Already Seria A and Serie B teams are after him.

I think goalkeeper is the only position where I manage to dig up some brilliant free guy.

Archived