Attribute development

I just noticed that one of my newgen's strength attribute has gone up by 9 in 4 years. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like it? I once had a newgen's strength go up by 7 in 5 years but this seems to be on a whole new level.

:eek:

carrere.png

carrere.png

In hindsight I would have prefered him to train him more on his technical attributes. Has anyone ever had such success with those?

Wow, that's a spectacular improvement, and pretty unusual. I'm not sure I've seen a physical stat increase to that extent before. Can I ask what training schedule you were using for him? How much emphasis did you put on strength training?

Also, what is the player's position?

Yes, but not almost half of the difference between the weakest player in the world and the strongest player in the world. Plus he doesn't seem to be spending so much time in the gym according to your training schedule - if you did spend all of your training on bulking up, other areas of your game would certainly suffer.

I think what they've done is overcompensated for some previous versions in which physical attributes develop too little. Now they develop far too much. I think there needs to be a bit of thought put into modelling how much individual attributes can change by over the course of a player's career - it would do wonders for the player development model too.

Haven't ya all heard of PEDs? ;)

But seriously though, I wouldn't say it's unrealistic, it's quite possible from 18 to 22. And the edge, weight doesn't go up for anyone in the game. Maybe a feature for FM12 - player height and weight increases and decreases!!! :D

Last time they were NEPS! :D I am that outdated? :(

I don't think 7 to 16 can ever be realistic for strength. Starting at 7, I reckon the most you realistically could get to is 13-14 even if training primarily strength. If just training normally as per here, 11 would be a more realistic figure.

It's attributes like Composure, Decisions, Teamwork, Off the Ball that should be likely to see big increases as a player develops.

Think about a hypothetical young fast striker. He's likely to have a bit of pace, some decent dribbling, fairly good technique and can finish reasonably. What he will lack is likely to be attributes like the above, which are the ones that will develop him into a class player. Of course, he will improve physically and technically as well, possibly drastically in a few areas - maybe he will learn to pass or his first touch will be worked on significantly - but it is the mental attributes that should change the most between 18 and 22.

My God! Hershie is giving his players monkey hormones. Call the doping agencies, call the cops call the RSPCA.

But seriously unless you're giving the player a strength heavy training regime, I can only see that kind of improvement very rarely, but it is possible that a player may bulk up in muscle mass that much in four years without specifically being worked for such a result.

Hershie: what's your opinion of a 16 year old having such good mental attributes? It doesn't seem so realistic to me...

Not neccessarily, some players have a natural gift for the mental side of the game (even if they're idiots off the pitch) even from an early age. While the physical stats are what usually get you noticed at 16, strong mentality is often the better indicator of future growth.

Hershie: what's your opinion of a 16 year old having such good mental attributes? It doesn't seem so realistic to me...

I think it could be realistic in very rare cases - once in a generation. There's always talk of a good 'footballing brain' and that's what separates the best from the rest - especially at a young age, and what allows them to develop in other areas imo.

My God! Hershie is giving his players monkey hormones. Call the doping agencies, call the cops call the RSPCA.

But seriously unless you're giving the player a strength heavy training regime, I can only see that kind of improvement very rarely, but it is possible that a player may bulk up in muscle mass that much in four years without specifically being worked for such a result.

:D I really don't know what's happened to cause such an increase. That second guy has been on a hugely physically intensive schedule for 3 years yet not shown anywhere near the same kind of improvement (maybe due to his age), yet his composure has somehow risen by 4 when doing barely any training in that area. :confused:

Both those players look mentally better than they are, with high ratings in two or more of bravery, aggression, flair and team work, which aren't the sort of attributes you tend to learn- you're either brave or you aren't, a team player or you aren't.

In the second player, who I think you are talking about, creativity, off the ball and anticipation seem high to me, but there's no reason why one isolated example can't be that good mentally. Sometimes you get young players who have that level of understanding- Fabregas, for example. The first player is more a case of "solid all round", and two years older.

Not neccessarily, some players have a natural gift for the mental side of the game (even if they're idiots off the pitch) even from an early age. While the physical stats are what usually get you noticed at 16, strong mentality is often the better indicator of future growth.

mmmm, that's true, but I reckon those mental stats are a bit too high across the board. I could accept it if a player had, maybe, good anticipation and off the ball, or good teamwork, creativity and concentration. I have never in real life seen such a mentally well-rounded 16 year old player though - or technically for that matter.

Haven't ya all heard of PEDs? ;)

But seriously though, I wouldn't say it's unrealistic, it's quite possible from 18 to 22. And the edge, weight doesn't go up for anyone in the game. Maybe a feature for FM12 - player height and weight increases and decreases!!! :D

As Hershie pointed out, it does change, actually I remember it also changed on FM08. I can't remember if that was the version where they introduced it, though. Only thing is, it's cosmetic AFAIK. I'd say let's hope for those two to actually have an impact in FM12, or maybe even FM11 *fingers crossed* :)

How sweet it would be having media criticizing your player for becoming Ronaldesque :D

I don't know what Eduardo Salvio's strength at the start of the game is, but he reached strength 18/20 in 2 of my half-long term games in FM2010, very unrealistic IMO

at the other side, Ive had plenty of amazing talents that have been trained intensively on condition (pace, accel...) but what I shame, none of them became better on these statts... thats why I say this; FM is one big lotto in terms of player development...

As Hershie pointed out, it does change, actually I remember it also changed on FM08. I can't remember if that was the version where they introduced it, though. Only thing is, it's cosmetic AFAIK. I'd say let's hope for those two to actually have an impact in FM12, or maybe even FM11 *fingers crossed* :)

How sweet it would be having media criticizing your player for becoming Ronaldesque :D

Ok I didn't know that actually...but do real players grow too?

Ok I didn't know that actually...but do real players grow too?

I've personally only noticed it with youth players. Once discovering that I had a youth player grow 10-ish centimeters and gaining some weight. I don't find that unrealistic with regards to the real life. They do stop growing at some point in the early 20s obviously.

I've personally only noticed it with youth players. Once discovering that I had a youth player grow 10-ish centimeters and gaining some weight. I don't find that unrealistic with regards to the real life. They do stop growing at some point in the early 20s obviously.

Oh, because my question was more directed towards real players, not newgens, since they don't seem to gain weight/get taller. I think SI would probably avoid making real players grow (or shrink :p) for legal reasons. Because you know, in case that 70 year old real life scout starts shrinking too much... :p

Archived