Sorry- Another hardware thread - do I need more RAM?

Anybody know much about how FM is programmed? Specifically to do with hardware.

I have an AMD X2 4400 overclocked to 2.4GHz a core. According to some software I have that monitors CPU loads, FM2010 is only ever using 50% of each core's capability during processing, but the processing speed is still quite slow, especially during the transfer window shutting and re-opening. I've checked the hardrive during this time and the light is not on, so I doubt it is the hardrive that is slowing processing down during these intense phases of processing.

Could it be memory? I currently have 2GB on a XP platform so I know that I could only get up to 3.5GB registered on system. Is it worth the £75 outlay for new memory? Will I see much difference in processing time? Just intereseted as I'm trying to weigh up my options between saving for a whole new PC (which I'm going to do anyway) or buy new memory to eek out a little more time before I need to buy a new PC.

I kinda doubt that you are running out of memory. IF that would happen then you would see a lot of hard drive activity since the operating system would be moving data from memory to hard drive and back. Save the money for a new computer.

Its weird that only 50% of cpu is used. Perhaps your cpu monitor software is at fault. Check in task manager if its really only using 50%. BTW: you have threading enabled in FM right?

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure I have threading turned on otherwise why would both cores be in use. But I'll double check it when I get home.

Coming to the conclusion that a new PC with a better processor will be the way forward. It's not my current system is that laggy (only on deadline days etc.), and I can get a season out in a week (roughly 20-25 hours playing time) so I'm not too concerned. I just want to future proof for FM2012 onwards :)

You can also try setting fm.exe to high priority in task manager - i have been doing this for 6 monthes, it has meant FM has used more of the CPU instead of leaving it idle, and my game has been faster. It has not caused any problems, crashes or stability issues. The only problem would be if you like to browse the net/use itunes/whatever at the same time as FM.

Hmm...you are using Itunes. That might be part of a problem. When i had itunes on my machine it would just freeze everything on regular intervals. Horrible horrible abomination. I switched to winamp even for my ipod use.

Yes iTunes is quite resource heavy. You could connect up a ipod for example to a set of speakers and play you music through that. This way you will just have FM running without anything else.

Did a bit of A/B testing last night - not exactly the most scientific route - but the percieved speed was greater when I just had FM opened in a window with no other apps at the same time. The next best was light browsing and Youtube-ing of music, the least quick was iTunes.

Guess I'll just have to Youtube or set-up a stereo! :)

Thanks for all the advice folks. It really is appreciated.

Archived