Full Backs and goal scoring

aderow

First off, I got this message today and it made me chuckle a bit

evraanddomenech.png

I really love the Evra thanks Domenech part :D

Anyway with evra getting his first international goal was nice to see as he usually isn't amongst the scorers.

So I was wondering has anyone had an exceptional goal scoring full back?

If so, how many goals has he scored for you?

You probably shouldn't include free kick/penalty takers

Yeah they can do assists but I've never seen a fullback that can actually score consistently, most of them are long-shots that don't even come close (even if I give them PPM to pass rather than shoot). In fact my right fullback has 1 goal in 127 games. I think DC are more accustomed to scoring, I've got one with 23 in 189 games, and another with 30 in 302.. so like once every 10 games :p. It's better than my fullbacks for sure.

My fullbacks get a LOAD of assists, but generally only score from set pieces or long range. Maybe something that needs a small look in the match engine, as there are some full-backs who do like to cut into the box and shoot relatively often.

It seems that full-backs only overlap on the outside and tend to stay really wide, while in real life there are a few that like to make runs into the channel, don't see that so much in the game.

My fullbacks usually come up with two or three goals apiece throughout the season, but there's no rhyme or reason to it and it has little to do with tactics. I've got a couple that are pretty good set piece takers, though, and that seems to be the easiest way to get them to score.

The best result I got in terms of consistency was a right footed fullback on the left side who could dribble well; every once in awhile he'd cut in and rip a nice shot if he was on attacking duty.

Had a Welsh regen LB in FM09 with 20 free kicks and 18 in long shots and technique. He was banging in a free every 2nd game. Literally. Think he ended the season on 28 goals (17 league). Haven't seen the like since. Also had Michael Turner put away 11 goals in a season for my Forest save (7 corners 4 penalties), including a winning 91st min LC final penalty.

I have a theory that full backs don't get marked properly at corners so mine always get a few goals a season from set-pieces.

Interesting theory! Have to experiment with that one but I am pretty skeptical to be honest.

I always find the opposition is terrible at marking wingers who sprint into the far post to meet crosses from deep. Then again, that's pretty representative of real life.

Domenic Cristico at LB gets heck lot of assists for. Get a few(4-5) goals a season too.

I've noticed that fullbacks play better if you have your wingers as Inside Forward & cut inside.

Playing for Rushden & Diamond , all 3 of my first team FB get the highest ratings in the league.

Archived