What do you think of this idea for FM12?

Good or Bad Idea?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Good or Bad Idea?

• Awesome
    • Good
    • Average
    • Bad
    • Terrible

Was talking to a few mates over things we would like to see in the new FM when a brainwave hit me. Wanted to know what other people felt about it. It's far too late for 2011 but maybe it could get included in 2012...

Basically it centres around buying players from "expanding markets" such as the Far East or touring America. There's no real advantage I can see in previous years games yet clubs do it all the time in real life. The idea is you have an exposure rating in each region (UK & Ireland, Scandanavia, Far East etc) and possibly in each country. This rating can be improved by touring a region or by signing a player from that region or who is famous in that region (such as Beckham is in the Far East). Now the benefit of increasing this rating would be increased merchandising sales and desire for players in that region to play for your club.

This would mean that signings such as Park Ji Sung would now be a lot more attractive as the shirt sales in Korea would probably pay for his transfer. What do you guys think?

Was talking to a few mates over things we would like to see in the new FM when a brainwave hit me. Wanted to know what other people felt about it. It's far too late for 2011 but maybe it could get included in 2012...

Basically it centres around buying players from "expanding markets" such as the Far East or touring America. There's no real advantage I can see in previous years games yet clubs do it all the time in real life. The idea is you have an exposure rating in each region (UK & Ireland, Scandanavia, Far East etc) and possibly in each country. This rating can be improved by touring a region or by signing a player from that region or who is famous in that region (such as Beckham is in the Far East). Now the benefit of increasing this rating would be increased merchandising sales and desire for players in that region to play for your club.

This would mean that signings such as Park Ji Sung would now be a lot more attractive as the shirt sales in Korea would probably pay for his transfer. What do you guys think?

It's a good idea IMO.

Cheers.

The feature is already in there (shirt sales increased after a big name signing). Regarding the expanding merchandising, I am not sure it is realistic IRL : appart from Man U, who does this ? And to what extent ? Plus if there was a real impact, every team would do it (IRL and in the game). Thus the impact could become quite insignificant. Only my mind though

The feature is already in there (shirt sales increased after a big name signing). Regarding the expanding merchandising, I am not sure it is realistic IRL : appart from Man U, who does this ? And to what extent ? Plus if there was a real impact, every team would do it (IRL and in the game). Thus the impact could become quite insignificant. Only my mind though

Yeah but that's for signing a player with a higher status than the club. This would be for signing (mainly) Asian players. I get what you're saying though. As for other clubs that have done it City had Sun Ji Hai and I'm sure I could find more examples.

The other point was pre-season tours. Most Premier League clubs will now fly halfway across the world in the summer months to play big money friendlies yet this rarely happens in the games. This could be a way to make this more realistic.

Great idea. My team, Cardiff City have got new Malaysian owners and will be touring the country next year so it does happen in real life, and would be a great tool, for say a Championship club to put some money into a far east country and maybe reap rewards of increased ticket sales and players interest etc

Yeah but that's for signing a player with a higher status than the club. This would be for signing (mainly) Asian players. I get what you're saying though. As for other clubs that have done it City had Sun Ji Hai and I'm sure I could find more examples.

Not all Asian players will have the same effect though. I don't think Sun Jihai boosted shirt sales much. It's pretty limited to players with at least continental reputation and where their home market is big enough.

Not all Asian players will have the same effect though. I don't think Sun Jihai boosted shirt sales much. It's pretty limited to players with at least continental reputation and where their home market is big enough.

Ask any City fan, Sun Ji Hai was never in the team for his footballing abilities! ;)

Maybe this is in the game but is really subtle. It could possibly be a bit more in the foreground though?

It isn't exactly in the game. Signing a player with high reputation (e.g. Beckham) will boost your shirt sales, but nationality has no effect. swisso researched this. Feeder clubs from those regions act as a multiplier.

I agree that nationality should have an effect. As you can see, a lot of people think it does already, which is a pretty clear sign of support! :)

I could be making this up but I'm sure that I've seen a message saying merchandise has increased due to where a player is from, not in this version of the game though.
Yeah it does happen. I've had it with several Asian players as well as with Juan Veron once. I, too, have yet to see it in the current version though.

Yes, I do remember seeing emails like this, but to be honest, I have gotten this a lot with some of my recent signings, but have never seen it reflected in the budget. I think it would be nice if merchandising had a bigger effect on income, and you could, if not control it, influence it. I'd also like to see parts of the budget broken down into continental regions. Specifically, merchandising & tv rights. I want to know that purchasing Takayuki Morimoto and 3 seasons of tours in Japan/China plus a feeder club there is making a difference to my income from the asia or SE Asia region. Or the fact that I host an annual cup during pre-seasons inviting only N & S American Teams to participate.

and speaking of budget, since we're on the topic, I'd like to mention, I think it should also be possible to "pledge" your support, or suggest to the board that they present your stadium as a candidate for international events like the Champions or National Team & Euro/World Cup should it be played in your country.

Thoughts?

Archived