How to offer older players coaching roles

It differs for each player depending on how much they are still involved in the first team as well as other factors.

On player profile you can suggest that they stay in the game and suggest a job by going to player interaction.

Then when they are ready they will let you know and you can offer them a staff role instead of just a player role

Keep telling them through the player interactions screen that they'd make a good coach and in time they're intentions after retirement from playing should change to definately looking to try his hand at coaching, then it's just a case of waiting and checking every once in a while to see if he gets a staff profile alongside his player profile. When he gets that profile, offer him a new contract and in the contract negotiation screen where it says 'job' - player you should be able to change player to coach and if he accepts he becomes a player/coach until he stops playing and becomes just a full time coach at your club.

Been having this problem with Iker Casillias for years now. Been telling him every year since 33 years old that he'd make a good coach and for years it has said he is looking to be a goalkeeping coach when he retires. I thought at some point I'd be able to offer him a player coach role at the club. But he's now nearly 38 and I don't really want to offer him a new contract unless it's as a player/coach, however that is still not an option for me.

Equally, I don't want to release him and him retire and then immediately become a coach somewhere else (as has happened before) they are surprisingly difficult to resign once they have a coaching role at another club.

I had a central defender at Bromley who was 37 when I released him and had "definitely going into coaching when he retires" yet at 38 and after 6 months to a year without a club he retires and vanishes from the game, he doesnt become a coach. I was kinda sad, I wanted to re-sign him as a coach when he retired, but I had to release him as I got promoted and he was no longer good enough.

A player often intimates what position, if at alll, they would like to assume in your staff when they retire. If you have a favoruite player you want to retain in a staff capacity, keep dropping in comments via player interaction about what role you think they would be ideal for and see if their club "future" changes at all.

At Man Utd I signed a load of my favourite players from Den bosch. They were mainstays of my title and ufea cup winning side but when they came to Man Utd they were old duffers picking up a last big pay cheque. The only reason I did it was to eventually get them to join my back room staff :)

You certainly dont get as many player coaches/ass mans any more...I remember in the old CM /FM games you could offer players 30+ player/coach or player/assistant manager role....maybe that was a tad too easy, but maybe some sort of happy medium would be good (ie. you can offer a play a player/coach role, but they are not likely to accept until they are seriously thinking of retiring etc.

i have alot of players retire, i have players that say they are definitely staying in the game, i say thoey should be a coach etc and they say yes they are going to, i try offering coaching roals but i cant change it from players and then they retire.

This has happened about 10 times in past 2 seasons.

In saying that though, about 6 have stayed so maybe its column A column B

EDIT: Just thought, maybe a good feature, players retire, then come back in say 5 seasons etc as coaches? Like they take some time off and then come back, you could shortlist them and get a news item to say XX has completed his coaching badges etc or that he is getting back into the game as a coach?

Even if they say they are definatly not staying in the game, if you recommend a role to them it will change to "Probably not going to stay in the game", more work on this can change them to eventually wanting to become a coach/manager.

This is useful for club legends or players you dont want disappearing.

when the player decides to reire, staff attributes should appear and then you should be able to offer hima contract as a staff member - did it with saha, went from paying him £45k a week to £1.5k, made the wage budget look happy again

correct. the person must have a Staff profile before you can offer him any job as a staff member of your club

Archived