Basque players who qualify though grand parents.

Basically I was watching the Athletic Bilbao game last night on sky and they had a player who was born in Venezuela but qualifyed to play for them because his grandparents were Basque's. My question is will this be in FM 11 as it's the first time I have heard of this rule considering Athletic are very strict on this basque rule for their players.

The Basque team are not FIFA recognized so don't play official matches.

lol I probably should have kown that. OK let me re-phrase that, has anyone taken on the challenge of Basque only? Seems similar to Dafuge's self set youth team only challenge with Tooting and Mitcham

The point I am making is that this player was born outside of spain so qualifyed not though his parents but his grandparents which must now maybe open up more players to choose from when playing as Athletic Bilbao. If it's already in the game then great but is it and did he come though the youth ranks or was he signed.

Sorry can not remember the name of the player.

Athletic wouldn't go for these foreigners. Even when they were at a low point a couple of seasons ago the names that were being linked were Spanish players who were born outside the Basque Country to Basque parents/grandparents, such as Kepa and Óscar.

Athletic wouldn't go for these foreigners. Even when they were at a low point a couple of seasons ago the names that were being linked were Spanish players who were born outside the Basque Country to Basque parents/grandparents, such as Kepa and Óscar.

Well this is true as the game was on sky saturday night and it was brought up before the game started

Amorebieta was in born in Venezuela to Spanish parents (Basque). When he was two he returned to Spain.

It is not the same situation as second, third generation Basques who immigrated to South America.

On sky,they stated his parents were not Basques but his grandparents are thus thats why he now qualifys as Athletic have relaxed their rules

The rule IRL is the player must come from Athletic youth ranks. In their youth system currently are some non-basque players: nigerians, italians, portuguese and so, most of them without basque ascendancy. But they have been recruited to play for youth system, so they will be eligibles when they reach first team.

An article (in spanish) about that : http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Athletic/viene/elpepudep/20080131elpepidep_8/Tes

The rule IRL is the player must come from Athletic youth ranks. In their youth system currently are some non-basque players: nigerians, italians, portuguese and so, most of them without basque ascendancy. But they have been recruited to play for youth system, so they will be eligibles when they reach first team.

An article (in spanish) about that : http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes/Athletic/viene/elpepudep/20080131elpepidep_8/Tes

In real life I thought they signed players from other Basque clubs that have not come through the Athletic youth ranks.

Yeah, I forgot, when signing a new player, yes any player basque it's ok. Even sometimes players formed at a Basque youth team setup.

IRL rule it's not even clear for the Athletic supporters, and every case is studied individually to see if the player matches or not.

so can someone please confir this for me athletico bilboa ONLY sign players who are basque?, they dont sign any other nationality, any other type of spanish player (ie catalan etc)

As I said, IRL it's not so easy. They mainly sign basque players, but also accept other players as long as spent some time on their youth setup (e.g. they have Saborit who is a catalan player, who they signed when he was 15).

Archived