Defenders - Stupidly High Set Piece Attributes

Has anyone else noticed this? I've found that more often than not, the top defender newgens have very good (right up to amazing) attributes for set-pieces, whereas the midfielders and strikers tend to be low to average. In my game, for the majority of defender newgens, their set-piece stats are their best attributes, or up there.

I realise that IRL some defenders are great at set-pieces and obviously not all attacking players are going to be good at them, but when your back four are your best four set-piece takers, surely something is not right. Especially the centre-backs - there are very few centre-backs who are good at penalties and even fewer who are good at free-kicks. Sure, there are a fair few that spring to mind, but not as many as is appearing in my game.

Not only is it unrealistic but it means that most defender newgens, full-backs particularly, aren't as good in their main areas, with the best full-backs in the world having only 12-14 tackling and marking stats, for instance.

Also there are waaaay too many pacy players in this game, and way, way, way too many fast centre-backs.

I can post some screenies if people are disbelieving or think I am exaggerating.

Also I've found that most 'keepers have terrible Agility and/or Positioning, defenders terrible positioning and/or jumping, strikers terrible finishing and/or composure and about 95% of newgens have 1 for Sportsmanship (yes, I use FMRTE). But that's been mentioned a zillion times on here so I would hope SI are aware.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

I agree to an extent, but I think the 10.3 patch was a vast improvement.

Everyone's game is different though. My current save had a few years where there were 10 genuinely world-class centre-backs (6 of whom were valued at £30m+), now there are 8 £25m+ full-backs, but only one AMC in the world of any genuine class. However, most of those centre-backs have passed through my club (due to needing new challenges), and there are literally no pacey centre-backs. I am desperate for one with pace. But there are only a few who are technically proficient; there are plenty of 'stoppers' - the attribute-attributing post 10.3 is largely all right provided you have a decent database and plenty of active leagues. So it goes in phases - you just have to play a save for long enough to appreciate it...

The one problem I've had in every save of FM ever, is...goalkeepers...there's the odd class-act gets generated but compared to every other position the game just doesn't seem to generate enough players of a decent level. I'm in 2030-ish now, and most of the sides in the top divisions I run have relegation/second tier quality keepers. Which frustrates me.

Don't know how to quote a quote but:

"Does that account for the low attributes in key areas too then?"

"Not really if you look at The Lambs' attribute weighting table then you'll see its 1 across the board for Free Kicks and Corners. 1 is the second lowest rating so takes a low number of CA points to bring up"

There was a later question about whether it would have a knock on effect on 'key' attributes. Which was answered.

Not really if you look at The Lambs' attribute weighting table then you'll see its 1 across the board for Free Kicks and Corners. 1 is the second lowest rating so takes a low number of CA points to bring up.

I was actually asking whether the problem with newgens having poor attributes in key areas (ie 'keepers with poor Positioning or Agility, defenders with poor Jumping) had also been resolved for FM11, as well as the problem I mention in the OP.

Sorry if that was unclear.

I was actually asking whether the problem with newgens having poor attributes in key areas (ie 'keepers with poor Positioning or Agility, defenders with poor Jumping) had also been resolved for FM11, as well as the problem I mention in the OP.

Yeah thats what I thought. Turns out I was right. :)

It was a bit allright, sorry for wasting your time though, by answering the wrong question.

I liked all of the strikers who couldn't beat anyone in the air but had a perfect knack for headers. You're 5'7" and you don't have a leap. A 19 in heading?

Heading is control of headers, not ability to win them. Someone like Kevin Doyle will have a high heading rating, despite being only 5'10/11 and not having a great jump, because he's better at controlling his headers than someone like Peter Crouch.

But still, relatively short players generally (obviously there are exceptions) don't tend to be so good with their headers as they rarely have an opportunity to win them, hence don't really bother working on them too much in training/when they are developing.

I dunno man, as an Arsenal fan I think Arshavin and Fabregas are both pretty good at controlling their headers. I think Fabregas has actually worked on it a lot because he often defends a post on set pieces.

Archived