Is this desktop any good?

Like the others have said, shop around before committing yourself to buying any electrical or computer goods.

Have a look at this PC, if you've got a monitor already it's perfect and you can add a Graphics Card and Operating System for about £100 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-226-OK

no chance of working well .... the graphics card is unknow to many ...Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500 M ?? a waste off money

Well, I wouldn't go that far. The 3D engine in FM2010 will run on that graphics chip, though most likely on the lowest settings. It seems probable that FM2011 will too.

To the OP. I agree with the others posters on PC World, and that this computer doesn't really represent value for money. If you particularly want an all-in-one with touchscreen, then by all means go for it, but it's likely to be very difficult to upgrade in the future and you can get a more powerful system for £650.

If you know much about computers and are capable of choosing your own components, then CyberPowerSystems are very good value.

Alternatively, a quick look on ebuyer reveals this desktop for £400. Compared to the Packard Bell it has a better processor, more RAM, a better graphics card and a bigger hard drive. It doesn't include a monitor, but you can pick up this separately on the internet for a little over £100, which still keeps the price below the Packard Bell.

Apologies for double post; looks like magic mastermind beat me to it! And billynomates, please stop posting rubbish. It's true that at the top of the range AMD chips don't really compete with their Intel counterparts, but not many of us can afford an i7. AMD's processors are generally very overclockable and much better value for money. A Phenom quad is going to coast through almost any game on the planet.

I would have to disagree with this. AMD has some pretty good processors. While they cant match Intels latest i7 processors you will still get a much better value for your money if you buy amd. A six core amd processor is probably the best processor for football manager that doesnt cost an obscene amount of money.

To get back on topic. The computer you linked to as others have said before isnt that great. It uses a slow processor, it has a weird amount of ram for something that is running a 64 bit OS (but dont worry 3gb is more than enough for FM) and it doesnt have a proper gfx card. It would kinda run FM in 3d but pretty much forget to run any modern game on that pathetic excuse for a graphics chip.

What you should do is find some small store that builds custom PCs and just add an AMD quad core, 4gb of ram, 1tb or 2tb hard disk and an ATI dx11 gfx card (even the crappiest one should run FM just fine but if you want to play more modern games get at least an ATI 5770).

just to add .. i also wouldnt touch anything with a AMD Processor .. again 2rd rate

Not true. I don't know much about processors myself, but I've read a lot of chat from very knowledgeable people and it all depends on what you get. Both AMD and Intel have good and bad processors. You're spreading FUD.

If anyone wants to know if a processor is any good, do some research on it. Look at reviews, benchmarks, etc. -- don't take the word of one person.

Archived